Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   STOLEN: 2010 Summit white Camaro SS VIN 2G1FS1EW8A9183817 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=468790)

Nor Cal ZL1 10-05-2016 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringo (Post 9345052)
From what I have read on here, Ravelco can be easily (for a pro that is) defeated as well. Layered protection is the best. However, like the old saying goes, if they want it bad enough, they will take it. Just have to make it harder to take than the next guy.

It can. I has to interrupt the same wires on each and every car to disable it. It might take awhile, but a forum member has been able to do so in ten minutes, when a friend lost the key to make it work. The thieves will just make a bypass harness once they start to run into it often. It is a good system for the casual theft, but targeted cars will just slow them down a bit. Old fashion random kill switch or two is the way to go.

Mikamaro 10-06-2016 10:28 AM

Must have all eyes open nationwide for it for the next 26 days...after that Its too late for me to recover it says my Insurance.

BMR Sales 10-06-2016 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikamaro (Post 9346339)
Must have all eyes open nationwide for it for the next 26 days...after that Its too late for me to recover it says my Insurance.

Hoping for the best, but at some point you don't want it back. I got a Stolen car back that was recovered just under the wire. Thieves just hacked that thing up

GoldCartridgeGamer 10-06-2016 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikamaro (Post 9343953)
I did call onstar today and they try to help me out even if I did not renew my subscription since the end of 2014. They told me that if I would of upgrade my olfd 2gte system in my 2010 with the new 4g system they could of located it even if I was not paying for it. But I did not do it since you had to go the dealer and pay the cost to replace the unit with thier new 4g....that is if they did not unplug or disabled it before...

I wonder if this is offered in the US.

Outlaw77 10-06-2016 12:49 PM

sorry to hear this OP. I hope everything works out for you in the end.

RenegadeXR 10-06-2016 01:19 PM

That stinks. Unfortunately as somebody said, you may not want it back even if you could. The reality is that the car is either:

1) In a chop shop
2) On its way overseas

Unless it's a really brief joyride, nobody is dumb enough to drive a stolen car on the streets in the US or Canada. And when that typically happens, it's usually small-time crooks who go for the easier and less unique cars -- eg: 90's Camrys.

jcaligood 10-06-2016 02:09 PM

its very unlikely it will make it to the states, but ill keep an eye out in Florida.
i had my mitsubishi stolen many years ago, it was recovered a week later. i found crack pipes and drug baggies under the seats.
its a terrible feeling, i know. i hope the thieves get what they deserve. best of luck OP. sorry to hear

Mikamaro 10-06-2016 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outlaw77 (Post 9346607)
sorry to hear this OP. I hope everything works out for you in the end.

In the end, if they dont find it, I will have market value. How much is that? I will lose a lot more then what was put in money wise but sentimental value is my biggest lost.

Spec 10-06-2016 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikamaro (Post 9346738)
In the end, if they dont find it, I will have market value. How much is that? I will lose a lot more then what was put in money wise but sentimental value is my biggest lost.

Market value for the car, but perhaps if you have pictures and receipts of all the aftermarket stuff you installed... you might get that as well to soften the blow?

Man this sucks...

witenite 10-06-2016 03:12 PM

Sorry to hear this OP. Hoping everything works out for you in the end.

samman11 10-06-2016 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nor Cal ZL1 (Post 9345412)
It can. I has to interrupt the same wires on each and every car to disable it. It might take awhile, but a forum member has been able to do so in ten minutes, when a friend lost the key to make it work. The thieves will just make a bypass harness once they start to run into it often. It is a good system for the casual theft, but targeted cars will just slow them down a bit. Old fashion random kill switch or two is the way to go.

Tell me about this "kill switch." What is it, who installs it, how much, and how does it work better. thank you.

Mike J 10-06-2016 04:42 PM

I had my old sunfire stolen 3x after the 2nd time I really wanted it gone. They beat the crap out of it in 1000 kilometres. The feeling when I got back into it knowing someone else drove it left me uneasy

Nor Cal ZL1 10-07-2016 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samman11 (Post 9346858)
Tell me about this "kill switch." What is it, who installs it, how much, and how does it work better. thank you.

Kill switch is a random personal install usually located in an unusual location. Typically used to interrupt the fuel, or ignition systems, but can also be set up to disable battery operation upon an unwanted attempt to start the car. The switch can be as simple as a toggle switch, to a relay system requiring a certain other device to be powered to allow the starter to operate. It can be as simple or as elaborate as you want.

Someone to install it would be able to understand schematics and sequence of operation in order to identify the best way to personalize a kill switch. If you can't do this, I would suggest a mechanic specializing in electrical systems, or dealership, over an alarm installer. If your good with schematics I would look for opportunities to interrupt the fuel system or ignition in a location that is NOT under the hood, or in an otherwise obvious location.

How it works better is it is RANDOM and not suspected. Thieves are not going to spend a bunch of time troubleshooting why a car won't start. With Ravelco they have a single system to solve. For that they could simply purchase one and reverse engineer it to build a quick install bypass harness.

Mr. Stacy 10-07-2016 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nor Cal ZL1 (Post 9347989)
Kill switch is a random personal install usually located in an unusual location. Typically used to interrupt the fuel, or ignition systems, but can also be set up to disable battery operation upon an unwanted attempt to start the car. The switch can be as simple as a toggle switch, to a relay system requiring a certain other device to be powered to allow the starter to operate. It can be as simple or as elaborate as you want.

Someone to install it would be able to understand schematics and sequence of operation in order to identify the best way to personalize a kill switch. If you can't do this, I would suggest a mechanic specializing in electrical systems, or dealership, over an alarm installer. If your good with schematics I would look for opportunities to interrupt the fuel system or ignition in a location that is NOT under the hood, or in an otherwise obvious location.

How it works better is it is RANDOM and not suspected. Thieves are not going to spend a bunch of time troubleshooting why a car won't start. With Ravelco they have a single system to solve. For that they could simply purchase one and reverse engineer it to build a quick install bypass harness.

Back in the day... If you didn't want your car stolen while you were in the concert at the Seattle Center, you just took the coil wire to the concert with you. :lol: