Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Member Car Journals (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   The "WildZL1" Build Journey (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=571243)

FasNuf 11-04-2020 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicster (Post 10897162)
I am still looking for a good and reliable tuner around the Seattle area, if anyone has a suggestion please let me know. I will not use Wongs again!

On a side note, was able to schmooze the wife into letting me build a new Dart 427ci engine with a Magnuson TVS2650R Supercharger. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Hope to pick up the block and lower end on black friday, looking for some good sales!:happyanim::happyanim::happyanim:

Awesome Vic,
I hope you create a build thread on that new engine!

FasNuf 11-06-2020 10:44 AM

Wow Vic, I wish I had your troubles! LOL.
Hard choice and I dont know much about either. I understand the Kong is more like a direct fit replacement so if it were me and I had money bags laying around, I would do the Kongs for the convenience.

PeteD 11-07-2020 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicster (Post 10737303)
Installing a piston to check clearances and deck height. Then installed oil squirters, marked pistons and notched them for clearance. Installing piston rings, installing pistons and torqued rod bolts by measuring bolt stretch, worked out to 100ftlbs. Installing aluminum rear galley plug and cover I used this nifty guide.

LOL...Engine building in the living room. Reminds me of the Andy Griffith episode when Goober took the sheriff's car apart and put it back together again in the sheriff's office.

RobZL1 11-08-2020 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicster (Post 10898154)
Found that the magnuson 2650 for gen5 camaro's does not fit under the hood and you have to remove the windshield wiper assy. and cut the fire wall.
But found that the Kong 2650 does! So have to update my plans.
Now to choose between the Kong 2650 and the Whipple 2.9...:faint:

Throw that new Kong 3100 on there for the heck of it. :) Or the Harrop V-max. :)

kburlar 11-11-2020 01:03 PM

Wow. What a great read. Thanks for sharing your story. Your skills are amazing. Can't wait to read more. Thanks.

brick59 11-17-2020 06:20 AM

Did Kong give a price for the 3100?

eLeSthree 12-03-2020 05:42 AM

You are a mad man! I'll be using your build thread as Exhibit A in my defense, the next time my wife says I am obsessed with my car. No no, this is what obsessed looks like right here honey. You are a lucky man. Good for you.

Not that I have anything against a nice Dart 427, but you could have strapped the kong to your current shortblock and reliably made 1000whp. Hell you probably could have done it on the stock LSA.

Good luck with it. Deburr as much as you can, because you can really feel the extra weight up front. It's not ideal.

Wi53072 01-11-2021 11:29 PM

Wow Vic amazing work!

eLeSthree 01-19-2021 12:51 PM

Coming along nicely. You are a brave man drilling into a brand new block like that! Did you get your windage tray kit from Dart?

Yea, that chipping around the lifter window isn't pretty. I wonder if mine is like that. Can't tell since the heads were bolted on when it showed up, and its less apparent from the valley side view. Maybe its part of the additional machining process that TMS does to the aftermarket blocks. Let me look through my pics. I dont see it hurting anything though.

Oh, and the TMS dart shortblocks dont use a chain dampner at all. FYI.

eLeSthree 01-20-2021 09:57 AM

oooh nice color cam. Is that an upgraded core?

Couple questions...

What does the moly spray and bake do?

What's the theory behind removing the oil pressure relief valve? I left mine in place, but my oil pressure is great. Once warmed up I see 49-50psi at idle and 62psi at 7000rpms. Using the melling high pressure pump that comes with the tms longblock.

eLeSthree 01-21-2021 05:14 AM

I follow on the baking process, I guess I don't understand how coating it with moly helps. I'm assuming its some type of protectant, just curious. Carry on.

RobZL1 02-23-2021 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicster (Post 10960515)
Yeah!! Called Callies and ordered my crank today. A Magnum CCW, 8 counter weight, 1930 bob weight, 8 bolt flange for LSA clutch and 58 tooth reluctor ring. Will take 8 to 10 weeks to get it (maybe longer) as they do not have a core in stock.

Side note sales rep. from Callies is not impressed with the Boostline rods and wanted me to use the Ultra Enforcer rods. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I think the sales rep wants you to buy more Callies product...

eLeSthree 03-12-2021 06:01 AM

Are those the 69cc 6 bolt head? I'm sorry I cant recall your piston spec, what compression ratio will that put you at?

Ds98formula 03-25-2021 04:51 PM

Wow awesome thread so far. I may have missed it but did you ever dyno the car with the current motor that you built in it?