Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   How to Wire Footwell Lighting (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54183)

skuttduck 04-08-2010 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STINGS (Post 1694482)
Ordered the CTS footwell lights from gmpartsdirect, sure look like the ones that were advertised for the camaro (untill they disappeared). Snap right in to the provided holes in the underdash plastic. Have not found the connectors to plug them into though. May have to wire them up like tonyno has stated above
Not sure if this picture is going to show up
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/album....ictureid=21478

Hmmm ...anybody help with what I messed up on posting the picture??

Joe

I'm interested in seeing that lit up, to see if the light pattern is different than what I have. I used the door lighting lamps and got a decent look.

I hooked mine up to the ambient lighting circuit. If you want to do that, look for the purple and black wires under the passenger, and drivers side kick panels.

Mine is hooked to the ambient light connectors one above the fusebox and the other behind the gauges. I hear the new cars don't have these connectors though.

STINGS 04-09-2010 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNV (Post 1694913)

Thanks SNV, just went with putting the link to the picture of the led assembly!

sparaz 04-10-2010 04:00 AM

Just did this tonight, i'll have to post pictures soon. I wired my LEDs together (grounding them just like tony) through center console, and then tied them all into a DSDT toggle switch.
The gray wire for the dome light linked into position 1 on my toggle switch and the purple wire a few slots over (used for the ambient lighting) linked into position 2.

So now the I can turn foot well LEDs off completely, set them up to link directly to the dome lighting, and even switch them back on to run permanently while driving (based on headlights settings).

Absolutely love it and the toggle switch sure does look cool right there mounted under my steering wheel! Thanks to Tony and all the other people who had their 2 cents in this topic, about a 3 hour install for me and totally pleased with everything.

calflan 04-10-2010 07:42 AM

Did mine last night. Not a bad job at all. Took my time and it was 2 hr. install. Wired in series too, one ground, one power feed. Thanks SNV for the light bar info, and they got the bulbs to me within 3 days. Great guys to do business with. Don't like the clamp on connectors, so cut the wire on X7 and spliced into it. BTW, removing the wire module makes things easier than taping into the grey in place. Easy to remove and put back in, with a snap out push tab.
LOVE this mod. Great idea, thanks alot for posting this.
Even my wife thinks this is awesome ... and she's tired of me talking about things to do on the car ! You guys are buying me points, I owe ya !

SNV 04-10-2010 08:51 AM

Glad it worked out for ya. Yeah it's easy to unplug it. Gives you a little more room to work with.
I love the part about you wife being tired of you talking about it lol. Sometime my wife thinks I'm a little kid with my car. She just kinda smiles and says "that's nice" haha. Deep donw she loves my car too :).

STINGS 04-10-2010 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skuttduck (Post 1694963)
I'm interested in seeing that lit up, to see if the light pattern is different than what I have. I used the door lighting lamps and got a decent look.

I hooked mine up to the ambient lighting circuit. If you want to do that, look for the purple and black wires under the passenger, and drivers side kick panels.

Mine is hooked to the ambient light connectors one above the fusebox and the other behind the gauges. I hear the new cars don't have these connectors though.

Got them hooked up and boy they are not very bright. hard to tell they are even there! may look into something a little brighter. but at least the wiring is done!

joe

STINGS 04-10-2010 04:57 PM

Putting stuff away after the "not so bright" footwell lighting, and stumble on an extra IKEA color Dioder kit that was left over from a entertainment installation, and noticed the inline transformer was 12vdc @ 5w. (~400ma). So this morning after some modifications, now have footwell lighting that is bright enough, and can pick one of 6 colors plus wht, and it has two other modes, one which switches between the colors and a mode that morphs between colors. Basically remove the ac powered supply from the controller, and hook 12v from the dome light into the controller and remove the pwr manifold from the other side of the controller and wired in 2 of the flat ribbon cables supplied. Two sided taped the 2 of the strips under the dash and now it is bright enough to see in the daytime. controller is mounted under the dash in case I want to change the color, or the mode.

Joe

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/pictur...ictureid=21953

SNV 04-10-2010 05:17 PM

Nice job. So you can change it to 6 different colors?

STINGS 04-10-2010 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNV (Post 1702941)
Nice job. So you can change it to 6 different colors?

Yes, 3 main colors are red, grn, blu. Violet, blu/grn, yel with two colors on and white all 3 colors on. Current draw for each strip varies from 40ma to 180ma depending on combination of leds that are lit. 180ma=wht

SNV 04-10-2010 05:28 PM

Nice! Need some nite pics hehe.

TonyNo 04-10-2010 06:16 PM

Very cool! :D

BKTurner36 04-11-2010 03:19 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Installed my footwell lighting yesterday...very easy install! Thanks again TonyNo! :headbang:

SNV 04-11-2010 10:36 PM

Looking good guys :).

qbert48 04-12-2010 09:03 AM

mine looked like that till last night now the passenger ccfl only lights half way i guess a call to aac is coming:(

edit ; phone call made and aac is replacing the ccfl

technoside2 04-12-2010 10:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just installed mine. I went to Microcenter to get the lights. ($10.00 Bucks) I put them on a fuse. They look great. They're not that bright in person. It's just at night.

Attachment 112886

Nicragomi 04-13-2010 08:29 AM

Tony, can you tell me where you mounted your passenger lights? I'm trying to figure out the best place to install mine without them being in the way of dangerous feet.

rtcat600man 04-15-2010 08:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks to this thread and another one I completed my install of my interior footwell lights. Had the overhead light and trunk light completed the night I brought my Camaro home from the dealer.

qbert48 04-15-2010 11:56 PM

looks sweet:w00t:

LemmingRush 04-18-2010 05:49 PM

Thanks for all the tips guys. I just put in two 10" Yellow/Orange light bars it was cake. Only took about an hour.

The longest part was getting the lights zip tied out of the way of feet.

On a side note; that plastic along the sides of the console is so bendy it's great. I hope to see more of that kind of plastic in the future. Man I can't count how many times I've snapped plastic parts in Chevys in the past.

qbert48 04-18-2010 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LemmingRush (Post 1736130)
Thanks for all the tips guys. I just put in two 10" Yellow/Orange light bars it was cake. Only took about an hour.

The longest part was getting the lights zip tied out of the way of feet.

On a side note; that plastic along the sides of the console is so bendy it's great. I hope to see more of that kind of plastic in the future. Man I can't count how many times I've snapped plastic parts in Chevys in the past.

:word: the plastic tranny tunnel piece moves out of the way really easy thinking of lighting the rear wells too

bigsquirrel 04-29-2010 11:36 PM

Thanks for the write up, I used Oznium led panels, it was very simple.

SynerJersey110 05-07-2010 10:41 AM

Thanks Tony,
I followed your wiring advice & hooked up my footwell lighting, and it works GREAT !!! I'll post pics in a few, working nights this week. Secured passenger seat light under glove box, fit right in. Driver's side lined up well, also. I even lucked out by using one inverter. AAC sent two dual lead inverters, so I used just one and it worked like a charm

Greatness 05-13-2010 07:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i DID MINE!! looks swweettt ur directions helped tremendously tony heres the finished product :)

TonyNo 05-13-2010 11:05 PM

All look great!

CAMARO_MOW 05-14-2010 07:54 AM

Very nice!

Pirate 05-14-2010 11:37 AM

I have been contemplating this for the footwells. My thought is can using the LED (dome) style light with a 194 socket mounted in the footwell do the same thing? Tap both sockets into the dome light wiring to get the same effect as the dome light theater lighting. This lights should be bright enough to light the footwell if mounted for maximum effect. Thoughts?

SpeedFreak5 05-14-2010 06:18 PM

Does anyone know where the fuse to the light in the trunk is. I think I blew it when I replaced the OEM bulb with Blue LED bulb. I nicked the metal when I was putting the cover back in while the light was on, because it is always on when the trunk is open. There was a big spark and then nothing. :mad0259: Any help would be greatly appreciated. Could it be the Trunk fuse in the Instrument Panel Fuse Block?

TonyNo 05-14-2010 11:06 PM

Trunk light is on a breaker.

SummoneR 05-14-2010 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyNo (Post 1857788)
Trunk light is on a breaker.

Which means once you cycle the ignition it should work again.

Greatness 05-15-2010 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpeedFreak5 (Post 1856644)
Does anyone know where the fuse to the light in the trunk is. I think I blew it when I replaced the OEM bulb with Blue LED bulb. I nicked the metal when I was putting the cover back in while the light was on, because it is always on when the trunk is open. There was a big spark and then nothing. :mad0259: Any help would be greatly appreciated. Could it be the Trunk fuse in the Instrument Panel Fuse Block?

Same exact thing happened to my friend who helped install mine lol i was like oh crap u just shot the bulb but then he took it out and blew on it and waied a second then put it back and it lit back up so try again i suppose.

Camaro743 05-20-2010 09:31 PM

I'm sorry to bring this thread back from the dead everyone!! But I have a question!

Can some one who has installed the footwell lighting give me a list of all supplies needed for this to work? I know I need the footwell lighting, a t-tap, and what else?

"I took the two black (negative) wires, cut them to a good length, stripped them, crimped on a spade/ring terminal, and attached it to that bolt mentioned earlier. See the fifth pic.

I attached the t-tap mating terminal to a fuse holder, connected this to the red (positive) wires, and plugged it in. I then tucked the wires in behind the console and generally spiffed up the wiring before I snapped the console side covers back into place."

And could someone please clarify this? I don't know how to crimp a wire, or what a spade/ring terminal is. I don't know what a fuse holder is either lol. And is there any instructions on how to pull back the console so you can thread the wires through like the OP said?

I'm sorry for all the questions..any help would be appreciated!
use small words please.. :)

domano 68 05-21-2010 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakefeb3 (Post 1228182)
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...1&d=1255895509
In this photo, it looks like a purple wire and another(?) wire

What does this connector do?

qbert48 05-21-2010 08:24 AM

dash ABL thats what i used mine for

Buhmblbe 05-23-2010 03:52 PM

Thank you sooo much for this post.:respekt: I took it one step further. I ran a constant 12V line to the interior and set up my own fuse box(thanks wizzer) then ran the power from that and the dome light tap to a common switch (I used double pole double throw-center off...I read post #54 but wanted the center off option as well and truthfully couldn't figure out how a SPDT would work) which I mounted under the driver's dash. End result=I now have three options with one switch:thumbup:
1-Always On
2-Always Off
3-Only on when the dome is on
Also, I used lights that can alternate between constant on or be switched to pulse to blink with the music.:happyanim:(Go Solid Gold Dancers...boy am I old:facepalm:)
I'll post pictures and a how to when I get my camera from my office tomorrow if anyone is interested.
(Yes I know...:needpics:)

mydreamcar 05-23-2010 07:22 PM

gotta say thanks to all the people who had the ingenuity to try and make these mods simple to do and work well. Did this mod and couldn't be happier

SpeedFreak5 05-29-2010 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buhmblbe (Post 1894238)
Thank you sooo much for this post.:respekt: I took it one step further. I ran a constant 12V line to the interior and set up my own fuse box(thanks wizzer) then ran the power from that and the dome light tap to a common switch (I used double pole double throw-center off...I read post #54 but wanted the center off option as well and truthfully couldn't figure out how a SPDT would work) which I mounted under the driver's dash. End result=I now have three options with one switch:thumbup:
1-Always On
2-Always Off
3-Only on when the dome is on
Also, I used lights that can alternate between constant on or be switched to pulse to blink with the music.:happyanim:(Go Solid Gold Dancers...boy am I old:facepalm:)
I'll post pictures and a how to when I get my camera from my office tomorrow if anyone is interested.
(Yes I know...:needpics:)

pics please! I installed the dome Blue LEDs, Trunk Blue LEDs, Bright White License Plate LEDs, now I am ready to do the foot wll lighting. Please Pics.

Camaro743 05-30-2010 12:46 PM

AMAZING!!

4 Attachment(s)
THANKS SO MUCH TONYNO!!!

I've never done ANYTHING with wiring before, and I did this all by myself, and was shocked that it actually worked. I followed the instructions to the letter and with a little help from google got everything wired correctly. Installed the dome/trunk light as well. Matches my RJT perfectly! Pics (iPhone camera) -

TonyNo 05-30-2010 12:52 PM

Good job all!

13lade 06-03-2010 10:06 AM

Great thread TonyNo! Floor lights installed... What I'd like to do is get a 12v powerline (switched on/off with ignition) to go to a SPDT relay so that my floor lights will kick on with either the dome light or with the ABL.

Tony, can you point me towards a place to tap that powerline? I did a search but I am not finding what I need.... THANKS in advance!

PostaL 06-11-2010 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyNo (Post 1224402)
I attached the t-tap mating terminal to a fuse holder, connected this to the red (positive) wires, and plugged it in.

Quick question, what kind of fuse did you use as far as tolerances?

Thanks!