Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   We want all season tires for the SS (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8597)

earn88hardt 12-19-2008 09:33 AM

Real car people wouldn't even be talking about driving a SS in any type of bad weather

trm0002 12-19-2008 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earn88hardt (Post 221085)
Real car people wouldn't even be talking about driving a SS in any type of bad weather

Real men would just make sure there was beer in the trunk in case they got stuck.

Rogue Leader 12-19-2008 12:20 PM

While I appreciate the suggestions of taking the bus, a cab, etc, this is a problem that can be solved by offering All season tires... An option that IS offered on their highest performance car, the Corvette. So eveyrone saying that it doesn't belong on this car bite your tongue.

And as for me not being a car guy, I've had more cars in the past 10 years than most have had in their lifetimes, I've built engines, swapped transmissions, and all kinds of other crap. Right now I'm in the middle of restoring a 69 Roadrunner, so trust me, I'm a car guy through and through. And the Camaro, gentlemen, while I love it, is just another car.

As I said there are plenty of high performance all season tires, I know because I've owned many of them. Are they as good as Summer Tires? No. Are they more than good enough for any maneuvers you would be legally or even illegally pulling on the road? Absolutely. And they get though the rain/mud/snow fine.

earn88hardt 12-19-2008 01:06 PM

If the camaro is just another car then why own one? PERSONALLY I think your full of it

JJ#48Racing 12-19-2008 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogue Leader (Post 195460)
Steelie wheels... with 14 inch brembos all around? Everyone seems to underestimate what the cost of just the wheels will be for this endeavor, before the tires.

The 1LS comes with steel wheels. I'm sure you could find someone wanting to sell them for cheap because they are going with custom wheels.

And what "all season" tires are offered on the Corvette? I've never seen this option. I'm not calling BS, just wondering.

Rogue Leader 12-19-2008 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ#48Racing (Post 221287)
The 1LS comes with steel wheels. I'm sure you could find someone wanting to sell them for cheap because they are going with custom wheels.

And what "all season" tires are offered on the Corvette? I've never seen this option. I'm not calling BS, just wondering.

The 1LS does not have 14" rotors all around with 4 piston brembo calipers. Those stock Steelies will not fit over them.

As for the Corvette I know from other users about it, I've never checked myself. I am pretty sure it comes with the Eagle F1 EMT tires which are available in an All Season type.

Rogue Leader 12-19-2008 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earn88hardt (Post 221280)
If the camaro is just another car then why own one? PERSONALLY I think your full of it

Because its a car I like. After youve had cars that you "loved" stolen or otherwise destroyed, you get a little more pragmatic about things. Stuff happens, its a car, big deal you can get another one. At least youre not dead. Maybe I'm just jaded from the past.

I'm not going to play a pissing contest with you and start posting pictures and proof, believe me or not, I have no reason to lie, and in the end I really don't care. You're the one who chose to attack me in your first post ever here, nice way to say hi.

Barry626 12-19-2008 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogue Leader (Post 221235)
While I appreciate the suggestions of taking the bus, a cab, etc, this is a problem that can be solved by offering All season tires... An option that IS offered on their highest performance car, the Corvette. So eveyrone saying that it doesn't belong on this car bite your tongue.

And as for me not being a car guy, I've had more cars in the past 10 years than most have had in their lifetimes, I've built engines, swapped transmissions, and all kinds of other crap. Right now I'm in the middle of restoring a 69 Roadrunner, so trust me, I'm a car guy through and through. And the Camaro, gentlemen, while I love it, is just another car.

As I said there are plenty of high performance all season tires, I know because I've owned many of them. Are they as good as Summer Tires? No. Are they more than good enough for any maneuvers you would be legally or even illegally pulling on the road? Absolutely. And they get though the rain/mud/snow fine.

All Seasons are great as I found out today here in Rochester, NY.

I drove in over 10 inches of snow & my driveway has a high slant? had zip issues!
I still plan to buy wheels & blizzaks for my Camaro unless I get great deal on 20 inch "AS"?

I totally agree that GM should offer "All Season's" as option for $150.00 like on their G8?

TheClassicCarKid 12-19-2008 11:13 PM

While I wouldn't ever need them, I think it just makes sense to offer them as an option. I mean, why not?

JJ#48Racing 12-19-2008 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogue Leader (Post 221322)
The 1LS does not have 14" rotors all around with 4 piston brembo calipers. Those stock Steelies will not fit over them.

As for the Corvette I know from other users about it, I've never checked myself. I am pretty sure it comes with the Eagle F1 EMT tires which are available in an All Season type.

I'm almost positive the 18" steel wheel that comes on the 1LS will fit over a 14" rotor, but I could be wrong.

But the Eagle F1 EMT tire that comes on the Corvette is certainly a summer only tire. Check out the Goodyear website.

I suppose I could see the purpose of offering an all-season tire on the SS, but I just couldn't justify the sacrifice in performance myself.

TheClassicCarKid 12-19-2008 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ#48Racing (Post 222027)
I'm almost positive the 18" steel wheel that comes on the 1LS will fit over a 14" rotor, but I could be wrong.

But the Eagle F1 EMT tire that comes on the Corvette is certainly a summer only tire. Check out the Goodyear website.

No, they definitely don't

JJ#48Racing 12-20-2008 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheClassicCarKid (Post 222028)

Why not? A Z06 Corvette has 14" rotors with an 18" front wheel. I don't see where the problem is.

The 4th gens have rotors that are just barely under 12" and a 16" wheel fits easily over them. In fact some have put 15" drag wheels over them. That's a difference of 3-4", an 18" wheel over a 14" rotor would be 4".

ZYAL8R 01-04-2009 11:35 PM

Down here in Arkansas, we don't have enough of the slick stuff to worry about, but when we do I won't be driving the Camaro. She'll be in the garage;) Then out comes the bad@ass 6.0 Crew Cab 4x4!:cool:

Mr Twisty 01-05-2009 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheClassicCarKid (Post 222028)

Can you elaborate? Looking at the photos it looks like it MAY be possible. Who told you otherwise?