Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Is it the beginning of the end... again? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=460769)

Snoman 07-23-2016 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 91Zman (Post 9218365)
it's simple....pricing is too damn high...they used to say it's a poor man's corvette....well it's now on par with one in price and most are now deciding to get that corvette instead. I'm definitely not going to pay 50k for a Camaro.

The '17-'18 Vette is slated for $90k-$150k and 750+ hp, you won't have to wait but 18 mo and the Camaro will be the "poor man's vette" again.

91Zman 07-23-2016 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoman (Post 9219517)
The '17-'18 Vette is slated for $90k-$150k and 750+ hp, you won't have to wait but 18 mo and the Camaro will be the "poor man's vette" again.

Uh,that's not going to be the base price Vette which is what I'm talking about.

PDXSSCE 07-04-2018 03:12 PM

Q2 US Muscle Car Sales

Ford Mustang Leads Dodge Challenger after Q2, Camaro Continues to Struggle

Camaro sold at a rate of 40k+ units annually in the early 2000's, before it was discontinued; the F-body platform was only shared with the Firebird.

Sales are on pace to drop to 50k+ units in 2018, the lowest volume since then; the Cadillac CTS & ATS, with whom it shares the Alpha platform, have been discontinued.

My guess is that the 7th generation Camaro will share the Alpha II platform with the upcoming CT5. Hopefully, they'll both be successful. :redface:

102SS 07-05-2018 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 91Zman (Post 9219308)
Mine,though being a 1SS,was a shade under 32k with 12 miles on it off the lot.I didnt realize the SS was that high! No wonder sales are falling.

I wish we paid US prices,Ron is using Canadian pricing as thats where we are from.

68k for a loaded 2SS up here.

Gordo-D 07-05-2018 08:09 AM

Cant even look at buying new over here, a nearly new 2017 2.0 Camaro with 3k on the clock is £29,995 that's around $40,000 and a brand new V8 Coupe [L99] is £39,185 that's around $52k,

I am seeing a lot of brand new Mustangs though.

lbls1 07-05-2018 08:13 AM

Chevrolet and GM will need to figure out how to market the car more effectively if it intends to compete and lead the market. These guys have been in the business long enough to know how to "figure out" how to climb out of a sales slump.

For what its worth, the sales slump is not really due to the car's operation. The 6th gen IMO is an excellent representation of Camaro. The bad thing is that it is coming after the 5th gen, and for any number of reasons, the design (although good) isn't significantly different enough from the 5th gen, and some may actually view the 5th gen more favorably.

Chevy needs to come up with a design and advertising that will set the next Camaro apart from the other generations while maintaining a Camaro look and feel that most people will be familiar with.

Sozo 07-05-2018 08:16 AM

Just recently bought a Gen 5 after having been away from the muscle car scene for a long time but loving it since I was 15 . The 45+ crowd like me grew up when cruising the strip and hot rods were a cultural norm in a way that it is not now. I lived long enough to see car makers butcher models I loved in an attempt to bring them back to whatever market they "thought " they saw over the years , Mustangs had some luck here and there but no car ever hit the mark until they went in with the sole purpose of updating what worked way back then .
The GEN 5 was like sitting in a modern version of what we had in high school ..What appealed to me is EVERYTHING about it harkened back to what we loved gauge placement, body shape, stance and performance all brought back with the comforts of a modern car. I think Mustangs and Challengers benefited from this .."a rising tide raises all ships" I also think what appealed to us back then appeals to the younger crowd now ..good is good after all.

But now they all seem to be falling back into the lets do what works for all the other cars to broaden the audience ideal . I'm just not sure that's a fence that can be straddled when it comes to muscle cars. Personally I think now that they done a fresh 1st gen revival in the 5thgen ...maybe they should have considered a revival of the 2-3 gen cars in stead of trying to revamp the 5th again ..just a crazy thought

PDXSSCE 07-05-2018 09:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordo-D (Post 10240072)
Cant even look at buying new over here, a nearly new 2017 2.0 Camaro with 3k on the clock is £29,995 that's around $40,000 and a brand new V8 Coupe [L99] is £39,185 that's around $52k,

I am seeing a lot of brand new Mustangs though.

My understanding is that the 7th generation Camaro is being developed as RHD as well, so there's hope that by making it available to markets across the pond, prices will slightly lessen there & sales will increase across the board.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sozo (Post 10240077)
Just recently bought a Gen 5 after having been away from the muscle car scene for a long time but loving it since I was 15 . The 45+ crowd like me grew up when cruising the strip and hot rods were a cultural norm in a way that it is not now. I lived long enough to see car makers butcher models I loved in an attempt to bring them back to whatever market they "thought " they saw over the years , Mustangs had some luck here and there but no car ever hit the mark until they went in with the sole purpose of updating what worked way back then ..the GEN 5 was like sitting in a modern version of what we had in high school ..What appealed to me is EVERYTHING about it harkened back to what we loved gauge placement, body shape, stance and performance all brought back with the comforts of a modern car. I think Mustangs and Challengers benefited from this .."a rising tide raises all ships"
But now they all seem to be falling back into the lets do what works for all the other cars to broaden the audience ideal . I'm just not sure that's a fence that can be straddled when it comes to muscle cars. Personally I think now that they done a fresh 1st gen revival in the 5thgen ...maybe they should have considered a revival of the 2-3 gen cars in stead of trying to revamp the 5th ..just a crazy thought

We have the same vehicle, except that I've changed the top to blue, so the car will match the badges & Old Glory. :thumb:
I would be all over a modern design of the 1970-73 or 1978-81 2nd generation.

Sozo 07-05-2018 09:48 AM

Love that blue top ! ..to me that color scheme says commemorative edition more than the black top :clap:

PDXSSCE 07-05-2018 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sozo (Post 10240167)
Love that blue top ! ..to me that color scheme says commemorative edition more than the black top

I wish mine were a manual though.

:thanks:

rontammy0 07-05-2018 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PDXSSCE (Post 10240181)
I wish mine were a manual though.

:thanks:

Dont worry about that...once your warranty is up a stall converter....gears..headers and trans tune will be all you need to snap your neck back under hard acceleration .:biggrin:

qcman 07-05-2018 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 102SS (Post 10239960)
I wish we paid US prices,Ron is using Canadian pricing as thats where we are from.

68k for a loaded 2SS up here.

Bingo! that's the prices I have seen too. That's getting into vette money territory. I paid 39,300 for my 2013 in 2013 with 140 km (90 miles for U.S folks) on the odometer. It was a barely used GM fleet vehicle so I saved a lot because of that.

So even if I really liked the 6th gen, which I don't really, I wouldn't shell out that much for a Camaro. I think the somewhat polarizing styling coupled with pretty high prices has really affected the sales of the 6th.

hammdo 07-05-2018 11:34 AM

Here is an idea, GM should build a limited edition 50th anniversary Trans Am with the Ram Air option — now that would be exciting for us old Pontiac guys!

-Don

Sozo 07-05-2018 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammdo (Post 10240295)
Here is an idea, GM should build a limited edition 50th anniversary Trans Am with the Ram Air option — now that would be exciting for us old Pontiac guys!

-Don

Don't tease me like that !