Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   NEW Official Details on Camaro ZL1 -- 580hp / 556 lb-ft torque!! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170254)

Disco69 09-09-2011 02:21 AM

Delicious! Just about time to sell the Jeep and the SS.

The IOM Ninja 09-09-2011 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostInMoscow (Post 3731541)
According to the article though, the manual will have launch control and the auto will not. That "should" even things out a little. Don't you think?

Still need to be able to shift perfectly and I should have clarified that is what I meant. Sure you can use launch control but if you can't at least decently match the shifts of an automatic then a person would be hopeless. The reason the auto doesn't have launch control is because it won't need it.

Both the Dual Clutch and Stick Manual BMW M3's have launch control but that is because they are both manuals and aren't as consistent as they could be, the Dual Clutch is great though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hv92 (Post 3731652)
Gt500 might try to "be ahead" in performance, but it looks likes a feminine vehicle. Ford really can't do jack shit in making their products look better.

Looks are subjective, I love the look of both cars, I saw the V6 Camaro and thought that is one ugly front end and decided to spend the extra $10,000 (up here in Canada) for the SS, not that that was the only reason as a whole I wanted a Muscle Car so I needed the V8. I would love a ZL1 but I already have a SS and don't want to spend upwards of $85,000 on a Camaro, so a GT500 it is for me, don't care if it's a little slower, I have no desire to buy another Camaro.

RLHMARINES 09-09-2011 02:33 AM

Here's autoweek's take on the 580 hp ZL1

Quote:

Chevrolet reveals more details of Camaro ZL1

The supercharged V8 in the Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 is rated at 580 hp.

By: Mac Morrison on 9/09/2011
Related Articles

The 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 will not be anywhere near as rare as its 1969 namesake when it arrives during the first quarter of next year, but the most powerful production Camaro to date should deliver performance more than worthy of its model designation.

Camaro engineers on Thursday offered media members a preview of the upcoming Ford Mustang Shelby GT500-fighter, and the tale of the tape is impressive, especially in terms of grunt: The 6.2-liter, supercharged LSA V8 will make 580 hp at 6,000 rpm, and 556 lb-ft of torque at 4,200 rpm, besting Chevrolet's original targets for the engine's output and bettering its efficiency in Cadillac's CTS-V by 24 hp and 5 lb-ft.

For those keeping score against the GT500, the ZL1 trumps the top-of-the-range Mustang's ratings by 30 hp and 46 lb-ft.

As the Camaro team explained, the engine's improved numbers come thanks to “a unique induction system, with a lower-restriction air filter, dual ‘bell mouth' inlet paths, and improved airflow through the supercharger housing. Other changes include a higher-efficiency supercharger intercooler and electric power steering system, which consumes less engine power than hydraulic-steering systems.”

However, Camaro chief engineer Al Oppenheiser and his colleagues made it clear that they intend the ZL1 to be far more than a drag-racer right out of the box.

“[This car] is track-ready from the showroom,” Oppenheiser said, then pointed to the list of standard equipment to make his point: A liquid-to-liquid oil cooler lifted straight from the Corvette ZR1, deep-sump oil pan, rear-differential cooler and, according the Oppenheiser, a fuel system with additional pickups that should feed the engine during hard cornering even when the gas tank is low on fuel.

The ZL1 also comes with the third-generation of Magnetic Ride Control, which reacts faster than before and now adjusts the suspension up to 1,000 times per second. Chevy said the new design “uses new twin-wire/dual-coil dampers at all four corners. The smaller dual-coil system--with one coil at either end of the damper--replaces the larger single-coil design of the previous generation.

“The new design allows even more precise control of the electrical current and magnetic flux, allowing greater range than before between the softest setting for ride comfort and the firmest setting for track driving.”

Meanwhile, the latest version of Performance Traction Management is also present, with five settings spanning conditions from “wet” to “race.”

From a driver-interface standpoint, the decision to adopt electronic power steering might appear an odd choice for an overpowering, rear-drive performance car, but team Camaro insisted that the system is the best solution for controlling such a powerful automobile at speed while also making it comfortable for drivers at relatively low speeds in “real-world” scenarios. “Hydraulic steering wasn't going to get it done,” Oppenheiser said.

Likewise, he stressed that the optional, six-speed Hydra-Matic 6L90 automatic gearbox is “not for poseurs who don't know how to shift.” We'll almost always choose the six-speed Tremec manual transmission, but at least the auto box has been built for performance, with three different driving modes including a “manual” setting that only shifts when a driver commands it; automatic upshifts will not occur even at the engine's redline, and we were promised that it will select and hold the appropriate low gear into corners in order to match the manual-equipped ZL1's performance.

“Contrary to what we could have done [by taking the easy way out with a simple, off-the-shelf transmission], the automatic is not a compromise,” Oppenheiser said. “We spent a lot of time working on it for the track.”

Other ZL1 items of note include Brembo brakes (six-piston front, four-piston rear), an active exhaust system like the one featured on the Corvette, and aerodynamic elements including a “belly pan” beneath the car (Chevy would not reveal final downforce numbers). Variable stiffness halfshafts, and strengthened joints and suspension parts are intended to help reduce wheel hop under acceleration. As for rubber, Goodyear designed ZL1-specific Eagle F1 tires (285/35 ZR20 front, 305/35 ZR20 rear).

Chevy still will not confirm final details such as price (expected to fall in the low $50,000-range) or production numbers--figure on about 5,000 ZL1s built per year in General Motors' Oshawa, Ontario, assembly plant. But from what we've seen at this point, the Camaro ZL1 has plenty to look forward to when first drives occur in about two months--test drives timed to coincide with dealerships opening their books for orders. The preliminary spec sheet, like the Corvette's, promises top-notch speed, ride and handling at the limit, while also enough comfort for daily driving and road trips.

Speaking of which, we have reason to expect that fans who make the trip to Florida's Homestead-Miami Speedway for NASCAR's Sprint Cup Series season finale in November might well find themselves on hand for the definitive ZL1 production car's official public debut.

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2011...#ixzz1XR9UEDbw

snippy 09-09-2011 02:42 AM

Amazing....!:headbang:

SteveRS 09-09-2011 02:43 AM

dont turn around OH UH OH!! Da ZL1's in Town OH UH OHHHH!!!

import_killa 09-09-2011 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGthe3 (Post 3731590)
Can you run your engine for a week and a half (straight) at wide open throttle without failure? Because the LSA can. Does your engine have a 5 yr, 100k mile power train warranty? The LSA has one. Does your engine meet factory emissions standards in every state? The LSA does.

GM has far more to think about than just adding more power.

No one runs any engine "wide open" for any extended period of time
Don't need to pass emissions in "every" state only need to pass in one

Don't get it confused I love the car I just think they could have done more with similar mods and gotten more power out of it

SteveRS 09-09-2011 02:59 AM

people worry too damn much on details... what ever happened to havin a sweet lookng car just cause its FUN TO DRIVE!?!?

DoggyB22 09-09-2011 03:00 AM

CANNOT WAIT! for a 1/4 mile time, Nuburgring time, & to see this car in person! If I owned one it would be in mode 5 all day!

OMG!!!

BaylorCamaro 09-09-2011 03:01 AM

very cool!

The IOM Ninja 09-09-2011 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveRS (Post 3731690)
people worry too damn much on details... what ever happened to havin a sweet lookng car just cause its FUN TO DRIVE!?!?

That's the reason V6 Camaro's exist because people want fun to drive cars but I agree so much with you.

import_killa 09-09-2011 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveRS (Post 3731690)

nothing wrong with that at all

TaylorRyanSS 09-09-2011 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kluch (Post 3731648)
I'm sure that Ford already knows the exact specs of the ZL1. And who cares? Let em know.

I would be nice if the ZL1 were top dog for a little while. But I have a feeling the Ford already has something planned. It sucks because the Camaro can never be too powerful since GM will not want it cutting into Corvette sales. But the Ford has no Corvette competitor so the Mustang has no performance limit.

import_killa 09-09-2011 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaylorRyanSS (Post 3731701)
I would be nice if the ZL1 were top dog for a little while. But I have a feeling the Ford already has something planned. It sucks because the Camaro can never be too powerful since GM will not want it cutting into Corvette sales. But the Ford has no Corvette competitor so the Mustang has no performance limit.

I'm sure they are already seeing how to make the GT500 faster/better already

Caliman93230 09-09-2011 03:13 AM

haha the zl1 will have to catch up with my 700hp whipple s/c monster sure the mustang will have something similar but the wheels are a bunch or sorry bull shit, 4 both cars lol