Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Is Z28 good for daily driver (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346115)

Kevlar382 03-08-2014 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2cnd chance (Post 7478846)
I would not call that "many" unless you're biased cause you own a ZL1. ;)
Thanks I had that PS done sometime ago to convince me of the Z/28 over the Z51. Still not sure, but have time.

I'm not bias, just saying most people would think the ZL1 is a better DD. I will probably consider getting a Z/28 if I can find the right deal on a low mi one that's a year old, but will keep my ZL1. Nether car will ever be a DD.
None of my cars are, just toys.
As far as "many" goes I would think you know what I meant. Guess I should have used the word "some". Sorry, enjoy which ever you decide on and be safe.
If I have a good year money wise I will be looking for C7 ZO6 instead of a Z/28.

2cnd chance 03-08-2014 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevlar382 (Post 7479198)
I'm not bias, just saying most people would think the ZL1 is a better DD. I will probably consider getting a Z/28 if I can find the right deal on a low mi one that's a year old, but will keep my ZL1. Nether car will ever be a DD.
None of my cars are, just toys.
As far as "many" goes I would think you know what I meant. Guess I should have used the word "some". Sorry, enjoy which ever you decide on and be safe.
If I have a good year money wise I will be looking for C7 ZO6 instead of a Z/28.

Thanks! The Z06 is crossing my mind as well. :happy0180: GM is really impressing me.

P.S. I see your from MI. Have you ever been to Torch Lake? I just recently heard of it. Is it as beautiful as the pictures convey? Thanks.

garfin 03-08-2014 04:16 PM

Everyone has their own priorities and limits with respect to the "inconveniences" one might have to "put up with" driving a Z/28 as a DD. Whatever floats your boat...
One thing that has not been mentioned is the trade-off in luxury/convenience features in the ZL1 vs. the hardcore, take-no-prisoners, track-focused Z/28 relative to one's ability to drive the Z/28 at its limits.
Remember, the ZL1 is no slouch on a track - it's a very, very capable track machine! I understand completely anyone's wish to have a Z/28 and use it as a DD so they can track it during the year.
Speaking only for myself, I've been tracking my cars for 15 years now (on a casual basis) and I honestly doubt that I'm a good enough driver on a track that I would appreciate the Z/28's extra capabilities over the ZL1 and therefore derive more enjoyment from it than I would a ZL1. I've had some good experience on the track in a ZL1 and it is a better car than I am a driver. I also had the extreme privilege of riding shotgun in a ZL1 at Spring Mountain with Ron Fellows behind the wheel... and I know that I do not have the skill to drive a ZL1 at its limits on a track, let alone a Z/28! For me, the Z/28 would not be the best choice as a DD. However, for a driver skilled enough to wring the most out of what the Z/28 can offer, I can sure see making the choice to have the Z/28 as their DD. Enjoyment is what it's all about! I don't know if this is at all helpful or whether it might applicable to you, but perhaps food for thought...

Best regards,

Elie

2cnd chance 03-08-2014 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garfin (Post 7479309)
Everyone has their own priorities and limits with respect to the "inconveniences" one might have to "put up with" driving a Z/28 as a DD. Whatever floats your boat...
One thing that has not been mentioned is the trade-off in luxury/convenience features in the ZL1 vs. the hardcore, take-no-prisoners, track-focused Z/28 relative to one's ability to drive the Z/28 at its limits.
Remember, the ZL1 is no slouch on a track - it's a very, very capable track machine! I understand completely anyone's wish to have a Z/28 and use it as a DD so they can track it during the year.
Speaking only for myself, I've been tracking my cars for 15 years now (on a casual basis) and I honestly doubt that I'm a good enough driver on a track that I would appreciate the Z/28's extra capabilities over the ZL1 and therefore derive more enjoyment from it than I would a ZL1. I've had some good experience on the track in a ZL1 and it is a better car than I am a driver. I also had the extreme privilege of riding shotgun in a ZL1 at Spring Mountain with Ron Fellows behind the wheel... and I know that I do not have the skill to drive a ZL1 at its limits on a track, let alone a Z/28! For me, the Z/28 would not be the best choice as a DD. However, for a driver skilled enough to wring the most out of what the Z/28 can offer, I can sure see making the choice to have the Z/28 as their DD. Enjoyment is what it's all about! I don't know if this is at all helpful or whether it might applicable to you, but perhaps food for thought...

Best regards,

Elie

Also they will be different to drive based on their specs. A lighter and lower HP car will track differently than a heavier and higher HP car. For instance they will enter and exit corners differently. On the street mag ride will be very very different than a highly sprung/bushed car. Again based on the stats alone I would not recommend the Z/28 as a DD. Can it be done? Yes, but I wouldn't do it.

102SS 03-08-2014 06:04 PM

I would choose the ZL1,the Z/28 is far to spartan for my DD tastes.

Not to mention brakes and tires will put you in the poor house;)

TeeJay914 03-08-2014 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevlar382 (Post 7475793)
Also I would like to welcome you to camaro5.com. This is a great website, about a great car with a lot of really nice people.

that 3rd poster was alot less than nice!

Q'smuscle 03-08-2014 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylane765 (Post 7478991)
Not so, the Z28 can be used as a daily driver at any time if you have one. The shuttle was used to commute to the ISS but to a city that can not be compared. They are not in use. We can buy a Z28 not so with a shuttle. So that can not be a comparison.

More like saying the Extra acrobatic plane being used as a commuter.

I was saying it was a good comparison because one is a more harsher ride!

Skylane765 03-08-2014 08:10 PM

That would be true.

revo1059 03-08-2014 09:30 PM

For daily use the ZL1 is the better choice. More amenities, more comfortable ride (due to MSRC shocks)

Msmall143 03-08-2014 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spencer489 (Post 7476617)
id go with a 1le if its a daily and occasional track. im sure you'll be able to buy a z/28 body and wheels, if you like the look. with a few bolt ons you could have close to the same power and weight as the z/28

Dudes between a z/28 and a zl1 and here comes the "mod the 1le" and it's e same crew

L99CAMA2011 03-09-2014 07:18 AM

http://www.bobwoodmantires.com/p-zero-trofeo/

Kevlar382 03-09-2014 08:40 AM

[QUOTE=2cnd chance;7479287]Thanks! The Z06 is crossing my mind as well. :happy0180: GM is really impressing me.

P.S. I see your from MI. Have you ever been to Torch Lake? I just recently heard of it. Is it as beautiful as the pictures convey? Thanks.[/

Being more of a boater than a car guy I can tell you that yes Torch Lake is incredible. That whole area of Mi is beautiful. If you would like to know more about it feel free to PM me. I will help you out anyway I can if you are thinking about going there. Maybe even a fun boat ride. :thumbup:

Doc 03-09-2014 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 (Post 7480317)

Yeah, assuming you continue to buy and use the Trofeos; with tax, mounting and balancing that's about $2,500 per track event weekend just for tires alone. The Z/28 isn't going to be a cheap car to race if you intend to maintain (and can use) it's cornering power which is greatly based on using those tires. Obviously you'd have to get an alternate set of wheels with street tires if you planned on daily driving it.

2cnd chance 03-09-2014 01:30 PM

[QUOTE=Kevlar382;7480395]
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2cnd chance (Post 7479287)
Thanks! The Z06 is crossing my mind as well. :happy0180: GM is really impressing me.

P.S. I see your from MI. Have you ever been to Torch Lake? I just recently heard of it. Is it as beautiful as the pictures convey? Thanks.[/

Being more of a boater than a car guy I can tell you that yes Torch Lake is incredible. That whole area of Mi is beautiful. If you would like to know more about it feel free to PM me. I will help you out anyway I can if you are thinking about going there. Maybe even a fun boat ride. :thumbup:

Thanks!:happy0180:
When I saw pictures of it I thought it was an island in the Gulf. Just beautiful.