Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Inside Line: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 vs. 2013 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 Comparison (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230183)

Fenderaddict2 06-16-2012 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2cnd chance (Post 5138758)
I respect most of your post, but in this case you need to educate yourself.

I am educated and that's the problem I know all about the ZL1. But the story of the car did not spread beyond enthusiats so I don't consider it legendary. Desirable, rare, incredible... Yes. Legendary? Beyond a small group, ah no. I'd love one of the two Legendary Boss 429 Cougar Eliminators. As as much as they are as rare as a legendary unicorn, the fact is, much to my disappointment they simply are not legendary as I'd venture no one in the general populace knows a thing about them and even within the enthusiast world they remain unknown. Pretty much anything with a Carol Shelby connection is known though and not just by car folks. My 86 year old Mon even knows of Shelby's exploits and cars. I did say Pretty much however, as we can ignore the Omni. LOL.

Fenderaddict2 06-16-2012 08:32 PM

leg·en·dar·y *(ljn-dr)
adj.
1. Of, constituting, based on, or of the nature of a legend.
a. Celebrated in legend.
b. Extremely well known; famous or renowned.

Fenderaddict2 06-16-2012 08:33 PM

So based on the above. Splitting hairs, I'll give you legendary ZL1 as it is a story revered with a clan or family. Certainly applies here on C5.

2cnd chance 06-16-2012 08:39 PM

First Im familiar with the Boss 429 Cougars, cool cars. To be a legend of whatever it may be it does not need to be known by the general public. It can be known as a legend within the community of again whatever it may belong.

Fenderaddict2 06-16-2012 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2cnd chance (Post 5139007)
First Im familiar with the Boss 429 Cougars, cool cars. To be a legend of whatever it may be it does not need to be known by the general public. It can be known as a legend within the community of again whatever it may belong.

Widely known is the defining characteristic. However can be widely known within a clan or family. So on that count you are right. I am wrong.

2cnd chance 06-16-2012 08:55 PM

I wouldn't call you wrong. It's just I'm sure there are many legendary things within different categories you and I could care less about ever knowing.

Sesiom Summers 06-16-2012 09:04 PM

well... the GT500 is a better car.. :cry: sorry GM but ZL1 it still looks like what it is, a superpowered high tech camaro :drool:

Blue Menace 06-16-2012 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2cnd chance (Post 5139057)
I wouldn't call you wrong. It's just I'm sure there are many legendary things within different categories you and I could care less about ever knowing.

Geez, that's the whole point! If most people don't know about it, then it is NOT legendary. Example: everyone knows about Robin Hood, King Arthur, BigFoot, etc. Things, stories, concepts, whatever become legendary when they break free from their own boundaries.

2cnd chance 06-16-2012 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Menace (Post 5139087)
Geez, that's the whole point! If most people don't know about it, then it is NOT legendary. Example: everyone knows about Robin Hood, King Arthur, BigFoot, etc. Things, stories, concepts, whatever become legendary when they break free from their own boundaries.

Would you call Carrol Shelby legendary?

ShnOmac 06-16-2012 09:11 PM

Shelby is legendary and there are plenty of people that know nothing about him. Hell... half the people that know of him probably don't know what makes him legendary.

Being legendary is really just a matter of perception. IMHO

2cnd chance 06-16-2012 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShnOmac (Post 5139105)
Shelby is legendary and there are plenty of people that know nothing about him. Hell... half the people that know of him probably don't know what makes him legendary.

Being legendary is really just a matter of perception. IMHO

Thanks. :drinking:

It's not really that difficult is it?

collins motorsport 06-16-2012 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhobbs (Post 5138421)
That's the thing. You couldn't just order a ZL1 Camaro. It existed because people knew how to work the system.

Was that like the mustang guys excuse back then or something?

2cnd chance 06-16-2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by collins motorsport (Post 5139125)
Was that like the mustang guys excuse back then or something?

Yes an excuse. But the fact is if you had $7K+ back then you could go to certain dealerships and get one from GM.

Even today you can go to certain dealerships and get an LS9 based Camaro, but now not ordered from GM.

ShnOmac 06-16-2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2cnd chance (Post 5139111)
Thanks. :drinking:

It's not really that difficult is it?

I get what you are saying. :thumbsup:

The thought of something being legendary or not can easily be skewed by ones belief or perception of said event/object.