Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Who turns off AC each time? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375125)

Emig5m 08-31-2014 11:23 PM

This is almost worse than a parking thread, lol... Anyway, I turn mine off.

1) Yea, it's still embedded in my mind that it's easier on the vehicle when starting.

2) Especially this time of year where I live it could be cold in the morning (50's) and hot in the afternoon (80's) and it would be dumb to have your AC blasting early in the morning when you might need heat or defrosters.

3) Early in the morning I normally will just leave windows open and not use AC anyway until late afternoon when going home from work so it would just be shut off after starting the car anyway.

Still, super-stupid arguments, even worse than parking arguments...lol. If someone wants to shut all their accessories off before turning off their vehicle, why should they get grief over it? :noidea:

Dirtdog 09-01-2014 01:43 AM

turn it off... so you don't strain the engine on start up and so you don't get the foul smell out the vents on start up.

Vroom_vroom 09-01-2014 04:57 AM

i have discovered if i shut the blower off it keeps the a/c on when you turn the blower back on. if i leave the blower on and shut the car off the ac and recirc. are always off

Angrybird 12 09-01-2014 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B52bombardier1 (Post 7924814)
Your AC runs in the winter though most people do not realize it. As soon as you switch to any defrost setting, the AC kicks in on most cars. Chilled air is drier air which means your windshield will get clear faster.

Rick

Not always true. There is a low temperature cutoff that will not allow the compressor to run, I think it's when the temperature is below freezing.

bradshaw 09-01-2014 11:57 AM

Just did a check, at 40 F and below compressor will not engage.

SteelCamaro 09-01-2014 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B52bombardier1 (Post 7924814)
Your AC runs in the winter though most people do not realize it. As soon as you switch to any defrost setting, the AC kicks in on most cars. Chilled air is drier air which means your windshield will get clear faster.

Rick

Unless your Camaro is garaged the entire winter. :lol:

Angrybird 12 09-01-2014 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw (Post 7925511)
Just did a check, at 40 F and below compressor will not engage.

Thanks, I was trying to find that info.

Camaro Dude 09-01-2014 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrpiii (Post 7920268)
Oh my, lot of OCD here. I do not do this, turn stuff off before shutting the car off. The first time I rode with someone that did, I was a little confused as to why. Then every time I rode with him, he repeated that process. He had no 'reason', he just did.

When I fire it up, I want to FIRE IT UP. Radio on, air on, radar detector on, GPS on, cutout open.... let's roll brotha!

One of the first things you learn when flying an aircraft, is to SHUT EVERYTHING ELECTRICAL OFF before engine is cranked. Ditto for engine off.

Oh, btw, I shut my AC off right before Sledge engages.

ROE 09-01-2014 05:53 PM

i do

tomlink 09-01-2014 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angryv6 (Post 7923209)
+1

Except - my sunroof and windows are probably already open.

Yes I am in NC but you get used to the heat. As long as the car is moving so I get air I avoid the AC. Stuck in traffic or using the phone in the car, I'll close everything and turn on the AC.

And I see notes about the radio startup volume. Isn't that a setting? It is on page 7-7 of my manual. Set it once and never worry about it again.

Cheveey57 09-01-2014 07:45 PM

I will turn my AC off sometime in October.

Jfoster 09-01-2014 07:49 PM

So, do you guys also let off the gas to help the transmission shift (auto)?

fussboss 09-01-2014 08:54 PM

- My radio resets to a low level when the car is started. So I can have it up LOUD when the car is turned off, when I start the car the volume is low.

- I often remote start my car on the way to it. For two reasons, to get the engine warm and to get the AC going so it is nice and cool by the time I get in.