Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Underage Camaro Drivers Poll (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41509)

cstproductions 09-08-2009 06:36 PM

Underage Camaro Drivers Poll

Im 16 years old and will be getting my 2010 2LT RS IBM Camaro in about 2-3 weeks. From what ive seen on the forums, eveyone seems to be looking down upon underage camaro drivers, so im wondering, who actually looks down upon it?

Ject 09-08-2009 06:38 PM

In before poll..

ljustin293 09-08-2009 06:40 PM

what do you consider underage?? I will be 20 in a month and should get my car a couple weeks later

cstproductions 09-08-2009 06:41 PM

I consider underage 18 and under but 21 and under will work too, anyways how do I add a poll, ive done it many times before but its not letting me for some reason?

Edit:nvm fixed it

Miketebo22 09-08-2009 06:41 PM

are you serious? does it really matter??

ShnOmac 09-08-2009 06:44 PM

The only reason I can see for asking a question like that is just to cause a ruckus........

StangKiller-SS 09-08-2009 06:45 PM

I only look down upon it if mommy & daddy or grandma buys it for them and it's a free ride. Basically it makes them equal to being a spoiled brat. If the underage person driving it is paying the payments or the majority of the monthly payemnts from the job they work then there's nothing wrong with it. You should have to earn what you have.

surfgun 09-08-2009 06:48 PM

They screw up insurance rates for the Camaro.

1badSS/RS 09-08-2009 06:48 PM

I could careless. As long as they enjoy the car responsibly, why should I care their age or how they afforded it. None of my business.:popcorn:

ljustin293 09-08-2009 06:51 PM

I'm paying for mine..so I frown upon kids that are just handed cars. There is no way you can take pride and know how much hard work is put into making it happen.

cstproductions 09-08-2009 06:51 PM

I was honestly just curious, not trying to cause a "ruckus". But ill obviously be responsible etc.

Lamar14 09-08-2009 06:53 PM

Me being 15 I don't mind. I'm not getting a camaro until i save enough money to do so. I will be paying for it on my own and wish anyone who is doing the same the best of luck.

JaxJags 09-08-2009 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cstproductions (Post 898730)
Im 16 years old and will be getting my 2010 2LT RS IBM Camaro in about 2-3 weeks. From what ive seen on the forums, eveyone seems to be looking down upon underage camaro drivers, so im wondering, who actually looks down upon it?

Hey, I'm 16 as well! I wish I had a Camaro. I'm stuck with a Mercury Grand Marquis. :/

I could care less who has a Camaro and at what age, having a Camaro is awesome.

PQ 09-08-2009 07:18 PM

Ok, I voted frown. But only because an option for me was not availabe. I would have voted 'As long as it's a V6'

Which yours is.

1320junkie 09-08-2009 07:23 PM

If you are legal age to drive which is 16 you are not underage. Some peoples financial situations are different and you can noot automatically assume that he is some spoiled kid since his or if his parents are buying him a car...we don't know the deal that was made nor how he was raised....I got a Corvette when I was 16..sane kid and a responsible adult now...any car can get you in trouble...

cab2g 09-08-2009 07:23 PM

You're a bad driver for years. You just don't know it. I think that's the only reason not to have a 426HP RWD car in the first few years of your driving life. You're gonna make many mistakes and a lot will be close calls. The easier the car is to handle, the less chance you'll have of making the mistakes though. I think that's why a lot of people post negative responses when younger people say they're getting a Camaro.

Some people of course will post negative responses out of jealousy. Try to filter those out and listen to others that try to give good advice when they're trying to teach you life lessons :)

patriotpa 09-08-2009 07:46 PM

Gotta crawl before you can walk, walk before you can run.

ljustin293 09-08-2009 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patriotpa (Post 899060)
Gotta crawl before you can walk, walk before you can run.

yep..and you can wreck just a fast in a camaro as you can in an accord or whatever

levi1922 09-08-2009 07:58 PM

however, many, many teen drivers equipped with an SUV or truck, flip them by over correcting. that is just about not an option with a camaro. so by getting your young driver a camaro are reducing the risk of a one car roll over accident. Every one makes bad choices, regardless of age. i will not argue that they make the same number of bad choices, but we all make them.

with a great car, comes great responsibility.

Rockytophummer 09-08-2009 07:59 PM

I frown because I think it's way to much power for such immature people. I'm not trying to dog you by calling you immature and not trying to male you mad. But I was 16 once and I may have thought I was mature and new everything but believe me you don't. Just be safe thess cars have alot of power especially for a beginner driver. Also like someone else stated if your actually working and paying for this car then I think alot better. Maybe if younger drivers are having to actually pay for the car maybe you will drive it a little bit better. Regardless just be safe don't want to see another statistic.

FenwickHockey65 09-08-2009 08:00 PM

Just be responsible and don't do anything stupid.

stp1977 09-08-2009 08:02 PM

Age is just a number if you can afford it, good for you.

Ject 09-08-2009 08:19 PM

I frown upon it mainly because of lack of experience on the road.
Great car to drive none the less..... just lack of experience.

There is a reason insurance companies label teens as 'high risk'

1320junkie 09-08-2009 08:25 PM

Hey I seen older guys wrecking their V6 and SS camaros left and right...so far on this site none of the teens that own them have wrecked...makes you wonder

Rtoups 09-08-2009 08:27 PM

I'll be 18 when my car arrives. Statistically, teenagers are bad drivers. Statistically, teenagers made dumb decisions. But there are outliers. There are those who are very mature for their age. I don't drive recklessly. I won't let my friends drive the car. I'll take care of it as best as possible. I don't street race. I don't drink and drive. I learned to drive on a 420HP Jaguar XF Supercharged, so a lot of power going to the rear wheels isn't totally new. And I'm getting the V6.

I also have to look around, but I believe elderly drivers get in as many, if not more, accidents than teenagers. Yet, if an elderly person came here and asked "Do you think it's ok if I got a Camaro?", everyone would encourage him to do so. This doesn't bring in the monetary situation.

All I'm asking is that everyone should try to avoid generalizing. If someone was fortunate enough to receive a Camaro at 16 or 17 or 18, than one can't assume they are just a spoiled brat.

surfgun 09-08-2009 08:41 PM

I'll say it again. They jack up the cost of my insurance! Because they make lot's of claims or have claims against them for bumping a bumper at 5 mph, scraping their door against a post at the McDonald's, or drive in the wet to fast and off the road into some trees'.

surfgun 09-08-2009 08:47 PM

Previous post in regards to the SS. The younger folks have fun with a V6 A6!

zebra 09-08-2009 08:54 PM

there are idiot drivers in every age category - not to say teens don't make up a good portion of that. as long as you act responsibly & treat the car with respect, you should do fine. i also learned that people care for and respect things they acquire on their own much more than things given them

zebra 09-08-2009 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfgun (Post 899345)
Previous post in regards to the SS. The younger folks have fun with a V6 A6!

that also depends on experience & maturity. i was driving RWD v8 manuals when i was 11.

ahart04 09-08-2009 09:09 PM

you cant be mad at a kid if his parents give him a car.

i 100% agree he will not treat it the same because he didn't earn it. thats life. thats natural.

but you cant say someone who has a free gift is a spoiled brat. thats just not fair, because you have no idea.

i didnt vote, but i'm pretty much with irpq11 on this one.

gold5000000 09-08-2009 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StangKiller-SS (Post 898771)
I only look down upon it if mommy & daddy or grandma buys it for them and it's a free ride. Basically it makes them equal to being a spoiled brat. If the underage person driving it is paying the payments or the majority of the monthly payemnts from the job they work then there's nothing wrong with it. You should have to earn what you have.

thats the way i do it and have been doing it for 8 years now and i'm only 16. This is how i plan on getting mine and it really pisses me off when people get brand new cars just given to them :mad0260:

Rocky918 09-08-2009 09:23 PM

most 16 year olds are not responsible enough to hand a powerful car like this... maybe you are... but the statistics speak for themselves ...

tommygun6644 09-08-2009 09:26 PM

If your 16 years old, having the car will make you look like a spoiled brat instead of "cool" or whatever.

In all honesty, even if I HAD the money to get this when I was 16, I would have gotten something else cheaper and saved the money for something else nicer when I was a bit older. If I were you, I'd get an older Camaro or something for now. But I doubt there is any talking you out of it.

CWI 09-08-2009 09:38 PM

Since the OP is getting a LT I don't object. However I think that is more than enough power for anyone still in their teens. I had a big block Camaro when I was 17-18 years old that was quicker than my 2010. I honestly look back and wonder how I survived. I had a lot of fun and took a lot of chances i would not do now. Back in those days there were about a 1/4 of the amount of traffic on the roads compared to today. So considering the volume of traffic on today's roads and the power of each, LT, OK. SS no. Some of you will say speed is as much a factor as power. That is partly true. Most cars on the road today will easily do 100 mph. However, people die every day in 30 mph crashes.

halo8hkk 09-08-2009 09:44 PM

if u pay for it i respect that. but if it was just handed to u from Mommy and Daddy. i frown on it. i don't believe u truly respect something unless u work for it. but that's just me.

All-Or-Nothing 09-09-2009 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StangKiller-SS (Post 898771)

Sounds like jealousy to me

All-Or-Nothing 09-09-2009 02:03 AM

Paying for a car does not make someone more responsible or more careful. Take a look at wreckedexotics.com and tell me different.

firestone_ss 09-09-2009 12:14 PM

having a 16 year old and a 13 year old ill tell from my point of view.i want my kids to learn to drive FIRST,not be too busy looking good,that means i want them to learn how to take a corner in a parking lot without hitting the curb and damaing a wheel or tire,i want them to learn what its like to have to matain a vehicle and pay for thier own insurance,if you hand kids 2010 cars your not helping them grow and become adults,there gonna bang there first cars up plenty,weve all been there its part of the learning process,huge difference in wanting a new car and needing a new car,my kids will get the beater cavalier to drive and still have to pay for there own insurance.thats how we roll at my house.:D

PQ 09-09-2009 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1320junkie (Post 898956)
If you are legal age to drive which is 16 you are not underage. Some peoples financial situations are different and you can noot automatically assume that he is some spoiled kid since his or if his parents are buying him a car...we don't know the deal that was made nor how he was raised....I got a Corvette when I was 16..sane kid and a responsible adult now...any car can get you in trouble...

:word:

Very good point. We all get different APRs and deals. If a kid can negotiate a good deal with Mom and Dad then it's all good. BUT, Statistics don't lie. I posted one that I can't remember off hand but it was to the tune of 18 and under drivers make up like 6% of all drivers in the US but are responsible for like 19% of all fatalities. Just be careful. Junkie, you just had the sense and skills and responsibilities to be fine. (though I bet you got 'sideways' a few times lol)