Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Cracked Dash? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190258)

Homestar1217 12-21-2011 04:33 PM

Cracked Dash?

Anyone else have a cracked dash? I just noticed when I cleaned up my car the other day that my dash has a hairline crack in it. Right above where I assume the passenger airbag is. I am not pleased.

GearHeadPeter 12-21-2011 04:54 PM

I do not have a crack in mine. Take it back to the dealer and have them replace the dash. Does your car sit outside most of the time as they might say it was caused by the weather? I have a black dash mat on mine so I do not get a reflection back into the windshield and to protect the dash.

Chevrolet Customer Svc 12-22-2011 10:54 AM

I agree with GearHead. Having it looked at by your dealer would be the fastest way to get this taken care of. I hope that helps you and you're able to get this taken care of as soon as possible.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service

BowtieBelle 12-22-2011 11:02 AM

Man... dash cracking was SUCH a bad issue in the 4th gens. I hope it's not a repeat on ours.

In the future you may want to invest in a windshield visor thingy to protect it

Homestar1217 12-22-2011 03:23 PM

Yeah I know I need to get the visor thingy :-) Just been lazy about it.

Upon closer inspection it appears that it's not a crack so much as a break in the seal of the airbag door. I can now tell exactly where that little door is on my dash, and on the left and right sides of it there are gaps between it and the plastic of the dash. Not sure whether that's normal or not, but I will probably have my dealer take a look at it after Christmas. I'm going on vacation after New Years so if they need to fix it they will have a week to do so.

JusticePete 12-22-2011 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homestar1217 (Post 4206885)
Yeah I know I need to get the visor thingy :-) Just been lazy about it.

Upon closer inspection it appears that it's not a crack so much as a break in the seal of the airbag door. I can now tell exactly where that little door is on my dash, and on the left and right sides of it there are gaps between it and the plastic of the dash. Not sure whether that's normal or not, but I will probably have my dealer take a look at it after Christmas. I'm going on vacation after New Years so if they need to fix it they will have a week to do so.

How about a few pics?

Homestar1217 12-22-2011 03:38 PM

Lemme go take a couple. Now's as good a time as any!

Homestar1217 12-22-2011 03:56 PM

Here's a few. It really is a hairline split, but it's there and it bugs me. Also you can clearly see the outline I was mentioning in the last pic if you look at it for a minute.

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/s...2-22154258.jpg
http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/s...2-22154323.jpg
http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/s...2-22154359.jpg

JusticePete 12-22-2011 04:32 PM

It looks like a trip to the dealer is in order.

KIZE 12-24-2011 10:35 AM

So the passenger AB comes out the top, eh?

The_Stache 01-01-2012 04:48 PM

Washing my car today I found the same thing!!! Its about time for me to take it in for a few other problems to prior to the basic 3yr/36k mile bumper to bumper is up (at 1.75yr/29k right now).

Parag 01-01-2012 10:34 PM

Passenger airbags almost always come out the top of the dash thats why it is so important to have a good windshield installer, if you dont it will pop and fly away and not help anyone

SummoneR 01-01-2012 11:33 PM

Have your passenger stop putting their feet on the dash.

RipGear 01-24-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homestar1217 (Post 4207064)

My car has this too. If you look close you can see a faint rectangle pattern outline. Mine has gotten progressively worse meaning the outline is easier to see than it originally was.

Homestar1217 01-24-2012 03:14 PM

Well I just got back from Classic to take care of other things. The first time I told them about this they just denied being able to see what I was talking about (most likely because they don't want to do anything about it). This time I took it in to show the service manager what they did to it the last time (long story), and the shop foreman came out and talked to me as well and definitely noticed it and told me that he would look into the issue. I won't have it fixed at Classic ever again, but it's nice to know not everyone thinks I'm crazy.

The IOM Ninja 01-24-2012 05:19 PM

it's cracking where the passenger airbag is....

Chevrolet Customer Svc 01-25-2012 12:46 PM

Homestar, is everything getting taken care of for you? I hope you're able to get this resolved. If you have any issues let me know.

Hellfighter 01-26-2012 10:26 PM

Classic Chevrolet is shit for shopping and service wise they are greedy people. Take it in to Mac Haik Chevrolet, i get nothing but good service there and sales rep is a great guy.

RipGear 01-30-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellfighter (Post 4382415)
Classic Chevrolet is shit for shopping and service wise they are greedy people. Take it in to Mac Haik Chevrolet, i get nothing but good service there and sales rep is a great guy.

He probably took it to Classic in Grapevine near Dallas/Fort Worth. I haven't been to any dealership service department that wasn't greedy. I still have to take mine to the dealership to get looked at but I already had about 37,500 miles on the car when I noticed this problem back in December. I'll need a recall/TSB or a winning lottery ticket to get it fixed.

The dash cracking must be part of the "retro" theme this new Camaro is based on. ;)

tillroot1 02-02-2012 07:22 PM

mine looks exactly like the photos above, I went to the local dealer where I bought it, a new dash is on order, myself and the service advisor both know its from the air bag opening, no denial but he did not like the crack any more than me. Good service. Ron Tilley

stikSS 02-19-2012 10:42 AM

I noticed it on my car last week and just noticed it on my wifes today... both our cars have 36k and 37k miles on em.... Looks like a trip to the dealership is in order... This seems to be a well known problem in the making..... Chevy needs to get a recall or TSB out... This is BS on a brand new car.

http://img.tapatalk.com/a6f84025-26f0-96c7.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/a6f84025-2704-0a49.jpg

OBSSEST 02-19-2012 11:58 AM

What will this dash replacement entail?

If it's all one piece, I would imagine you are going to end up with some annoying rattles and squeaks afterwards. There's no way a service tech is going to put that thing back together with the attention to detail that it deserves.

I'll have to check mine out but if it were barely noticeable, I'd probably leave it alone.

SummoneR 02-19-2012 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OBSSEST (Post 4508322)
What will this dash replacement entail?

If it's all one piece, I would imagine you are going to end up with some annoying rattles and squeaks afterwards. There's no way a service tech is going to put that thing back together with the attention to detail that it deserves.

I'll have to check mine out but if it were barely noticeable, I'd probably leave it alone.

It's not too bad but I agree I wouldn't trust my service techs to do it. I'd rather do it myself. Mine appears to be fine as of now. But I don't put anything on my dash to put pressure on it. So maybe thats the difference?

stikSS 02-19-2012 12:42 PM

It looks like its splitting where the airbag seam may be. It has nothing to do with weight of pressure on the dash.... what im afraid of is... in 2 more years, wth is gonna look like??... i dont wanna say wait and you'll see... but it appears alot of people are going to see this issue. Oh.. and its very noticeable... you can see it from the drivers seat.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

SummoneR 02-19-2012 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stikSS (Post 4508505)
It looks like its splitting where the airbag seam may be. It has nothing to do with weight of pressure on the dash.... what im afraid of is... in 2 more years, wth is gonna look like??... i dont wanna say wait and you'll see... but it appears alot of people are going to see this issue. Oh.. and its very noticeable... you can see it from the drivers seat.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

I know what it is, but what I am saying is if someone puts their feet up on the dash or sets something on it the down ward pressure and the movement of the seam can cause it to crack open. So to say it has NOTHING to do with pressure on the dash... is not true. It could very well be. It certainly would not help the problem. Plus it may have to do with extreme hot to cold weather variations where you live perhaps? It's fairly mild where I live. It gets hot and it freezes but not to extremes or very often.

stikSS 02-19-2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SummoneR (Post 4508568)
I know what it is, but what I am saying is if someone puts their feet up on the dash or sets something on it the down ward pressure and the movement of the seam can cause it to crack open. So to say it has NOTHING to do with pressure on the dash... is not true. It could very well be. It certainly would not help the problem. Plus it may have to do with extreme hot to cold weather variations where you live perhaps? It's fairly mild where I live. It gets hot and it freezes but not to extremes or very often.

I wasn't saying that the weight or pressure wouldn't do it, but just based on the photos on here and what people are saying, I would venture to say that its a product problem... considering the crack is identical in all the pics and what people are describing. I'm mostly upset by the fact that both my cars are beyond the 36k mile warranty and now I have to live with a 2010 model car with a 1979 looking dash in it.... unacceptable.

SummoneR 02-19-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stikSS (Post 4509937)
I wasn't saying that the weight or pressure wouldn't do it, but just based on the photos on here and what people are saying, I would venture to say that its a product problem... considering the crack is identical in all the pics and what people are describing. I'm mostly upset by the fact that both my cars are beyond the 36k mile warranty and now I have to live with a 2010 model car with a 1979 looking dash in it.... unacceptable.

Gotcha! :thumbsup: I checked and mine is fine! thankfully!
Yeah you can tell it's right along the air bag break away that's obvious.
I'd go with the new dash with the suede on it personally. If I had to replace mine, and install the HUD too. I feel you pain though that sucks to be beyond your warranty, I thought it was a 60k warranty though?

jmaynard 02-19-2012 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homestar1217 (Post 4369215)
Well I just got back from Classic to take care of other things. The first time I told them about this they just denied being able to see what I was talking about (most likely because they don't want to do anything about it). This time I took it in to show the service manager what they did to it the last time (long story), and the shop foreman came out and talked to me as well and definitely noticed it and told me that he would look into the issue. I won't have it fixed at Classic ever again, but it's nice to know not everyone thinks I'm crazy.

Ugggg, there goes another Tx dealer. I also dont like Reliable. They pull the same garbage; can't see, smell, feel, what you are feeling. They actually had the nerve to tell me it was just me getting used to a new car, like I was somehow mesmerized by a new car from them. I buy a car every couple of years. The experience does not impress me,

kevin1106 02-19-2012 09:07 PM

If that was my car, I'd just get a 2012 dash and go ahead and install the HUD. Hahaha I'd have an excuse to upgrade.. lol

Pulling the dash board is actually pretty easy. You could probably do the job in 3 hours.. get ahold of Ofer... 2SS/RS.. He's the man you would need to talk to. Nice guy, knows all about the Camaro.

Homestar1217 02-19-2012 10:00 PM

I agree with all the above sentiments. I'm not willing to have the dash taken apart yet because the crack isn't even as big as stikSS's split. However, NO ONE ever rides with me that would even dream of putting their feet on the dash. There's never been anything besides a sheet of paper sitting on that dashboard, and that crack is still showing up. I think it's probably more to do with the temperature changes. When I get into a car on a 100+ degree day, then crank the A/C it's definitely not helping. I'm going to have to go to the dealer for another reason soon anyway, so if no one tells me different I'll be making a trip to Van to get this on the record.

Superfly1 02-19-2012 10:55 PM

Im glad to see others have this issue too. I noticed mine today. My crack is almost the entire left side of the airbag opening. Looks like I will be off to the dealer this week. Grrrr...

tillroot1 02-19-2012 11:06 PM

New dash is in, going to the dlr in the am for a output shaft seal in the tranny and the dash replacement. I hope it goes well with my baby!

Ron Tilley

Homestar1217 02-19-2012 11:32 PM

Keep us all posted. I'm interested to see how quickly they can do a dash install, and whether or not the issue is present on the new one.

Chevrolet Customer Svc 02-20-2012 10:00 AM

I hope the both of you get this all taken care of by your respective dealers. If you continue to have issues with your dealers resolving this for you let me know. I'll do what I can to take care of this for you.

stikSS 02-21-2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc (Post 4512085)
I hope the both of you get this all taken care of by your respective dealers. If you continue to have issues with your dealers resolving this for you let me know. I'll do what I can to take care of this for you.

Thanks Jeff. Have you heard or do you know if this has been a topic for a future recall/TSB? :iono: It looks like the dealers are gonna start getting busy with this issue :facepalm:

Bills96TA 02-21-2012 10:05 AM

Thats just a GM problem, especially in the south. Both my 4th gens are cracked, my 95 spent most of its life outside so its expected, my 96 has spent most of its life in the garage and is broken like a dropped miror. My 07 Avalanche cracked last summer (sleeps outside 90% of the time), we always use the windshield shade but with the last summers heat here in Texas is finally cracked at the corner of the passenger side airbag. I used my heat gun and the inside of the truck and dash were north of 160 at times. I have seen this in many other GMT900 trucks as well.

I guess I should also add that its not only GM, I have seen it in Acuras, Toyotas etc as well just never as soon as it happens in GM vehicles.

justa25thTA 02-21-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bills96TA (Post 4517937)
Thats just a GM problem, especially in the south. Both my 4th gens are cracked, my 95 spent most of its life outside so its expected, my 96 has spent most of its life in the garage and is broken like a dropped miror. My 07 Avalanche cracked last summer (sleeps outside 90% of the time), we always use the windshield shade but with the last summers heat here in Texas is finally cracked at the corner of the passenger side airbag. I used my heat gun and the inside of the truck and dash were north of 160 at times. I have seen this in many other GMT900 trucks as well.

I guess I should also add that its not only GM, I have seen it in Acuras, Toyotas etc as well just never as soon as it happens in GM vehicles.

Nah, my 04 Silverado has spent its entire life outdoors and my dash still looks like new (knock on wood).

Chevrolet Customer Svc 02-21-2012 10:47 AM

stikSS, so far nothing has come through on this. Hopefully these are isolated incidents and we can get things taken care of. I'll let you all know if I ever find anything on this.

Jeff Morris Chevrolet Customer Service

Homestar1217 02-21-2012 02:23 PM

It does appear that I started something here. What makes me reluctant to even try a new dash is not knowing whether this could be just a bad batch or if a new one will do the same thing in another couple of years. I'm going to go ahead and get this on record being that I'm not too far from the end of my warranty, but I'm definitely going to hold off on a new dash for as long as I can.

Can someone clarify this part for me? Is the dash in two pieces? Could the upper part be replaced without taking the entire dash apart? I'd be much more willing to give it a try if this was the case.

tillroot1 02-21-2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homestar1217 (Post 4519418)
It does appear that I started something here. What makes me reluctant to even try a new dash is not knowing whether this could be just a bad batch or if a new one will do the same thing in another couple of years. I'm going to go ahead and get this on record being that I'm not too far from the end of my warranty, but I'm definitely going to hold off on a new dash for as long as I can.

Can someone clarify this part for me? Is the dash in two pieces? Could the upper part be replaced without taking the entire dash apart? I'd be much more willing to give it a try if this was the case.

my dash is done, its all one piece from what the service advisor told me.
He then drove it to insure its not ratteling or making any noise at all. The other issue of a rear output shaft seal leaking makes me more nervous than the dash, he tole me that they are going to replace the output housing instead of just the seal. I do not understand but he told me that the bulletin stated to replace the whole housing and not just the seal. The engine oil leak he could not find where the source of the leak came from so they dyed the oil and will look with a black light to see if it shows, should be done tomorrow afternoon. I will post on my personal thoughts on the dash replacement. Ron Tilley