Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction - V6 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   What mod to prepare for a IPF SC (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288188)

habunow1 04-09-2013 08:50 AM

What mod to prepare for a IPF SC

My IPF SC is being paid off in the next couple of months and would like to know what other mods I MUST do and can do to insure I am ready for the install and get the most out of the upgrade. FPS will be doing the install when its paid off.

What I have currently is ( MRT 2 axle back, CAI (coming off), VMAX port Tb on a 2011 LLT)

Catch can a must but which one for SC (please be specific, valve type ect). Planing to seafoam engine and oil change before install.

Is there any other must do that I dont know of:

Is there any can do i.e. : headers, hi flow cat, fuel systems upgrade?

Thank you in advance for the help.:thanks:

lscamaro 04-09-2013 09:55 AM

No, there is nothing you MUST do for the IPF SC. IPF has their own catchcan that they include with their kit. You could do headers if you wanted to but by no means is it necessary. The IPF kit was designed so that it could be bolted onto a completely stock car so no worries.

JohnnyBfromPeoria 04-09-2013 10:06 AM

If you do headers and/or high flow catalytic converters, do them before you install the kit. It will make a difference as to which tune you select when you install the new software.

I have a '12 and the only other mod I have is the ported throttle body. The whole kit works great.

John B.

simt3k 04-09-2013 10:08 AM

BBK headers, + Ark DTS exhaust, LSD and 3.91 Gears. That's what I would do.

JohnnyBfromPeoria 04-09-2013 10:10 AM

Since I'm an M6 car, I am strongly leaning toward dropping in 3.91's myself, but that doesn't necessarily need to be done beforehand.

John B.

simt3k 04-09-2013 10:15 AM

Ported intake with spacers should also be a must lol

lscamaro 04-09-2013 10:35 AM

It isn't something that's needed though

simt3k 04-09-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lscamaro (Post 6402343)
It isn't something that's needed though

Yes but then again that's like saying no other mods are "NEEDED" then.

lscamaro 04-09-2013 10:52 AM

They aren't.
The OPs question was what MUST be done for the supercharger install. The answer is thay NOTHING NEEDS to be done. You can take the kit and put it on a stock car and it'll be perfectly fine and run perfectly safe.

menendez1293 04-09-2013 10:56 AM

By no means are any mods Needed but it is always nice to have the supporting mods. But first what year V6 do you have that would hep us to know if you can even do a swap to Long Tubes.

If i was going to do an install on my car i would start with some BBK long tubes paired with 2.5 inch mid pipes with my V2s. Then i would upgrade my breaks and suspension then i would do the little motor things like the Ported Manifold and thorttle body, spacers, etc..

simt3k 04-09-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by menendez1293 (Post 6402429)
By no means are any mods Needed but it is always nice to have the supporting mods. But first what year V6 do you have that would hep us to know if you can even do a swap to Long Tubes.

If i was going to do an install on my car i would start with some BBK long tubes paired with 2.5 inch mid pipes with my V2s. Then i would upgrade my breaks and suspension then i would do the little motor things like the Ported Manifold and thorttle body, spacers, etc..

:thanks: Somebody that understands this concept. That's what the OP was referring too. Technically you don't NEED any "extra" mods, but supporting mods help gain the MOST power and torque and allow for the engine to get its full potential from the supercharger. :threadjacked:

Ventmaster 04-09-2013 11:14 AM

My .02 cents would be to upgrade the suspension.

Every V6 Camaro, regardless of any other upgrades, needs to beef up its rear sway bar. Go ahead and get a front and rear set, but the back one is way too weak from the factory. They're an easy install, and will make a believer out of you the very first drive!

And the back sway doesn't just improve weight distribution when cornering- it also keeps the back end planted under acceleration... :biggrin:

lscamaro 04-09-2013 11:58 AM

If you want to get the most out of the system, you really only need headers. The intake side is already being addressed by putting on the supercharger. Chances are mods like a ported manifold or spacers wouldn't even be a difference compared to what the supercharger does for you. So I wouldn't really waste money on those. If you want to do them, by all means do them but I don't feel their needed. That then leaves the exhaust side of it needing to be worked on. So to free up exhaust, get headers, some good quality cats and you already have an axle back so you're good there.

Another thing is whether your car is a manual or auto? If it's a manual, you might want to start saving money for an aftermarket clutch. If auto, start with suspension. Like Ventmaster said, look into a nice sway bar package to keep the rear in check. As well as subframe bushings to further aid that.

habunow1 04-09-2013 12:51 PM

Thank you for all the post so far and keep them coming. It a 2011 LLT as orginal post. Sorry I did forget to say Automatic. What I wanted to do is make sure that I get things done in the right order as to not have to get it tuned over and over again because of something that I could have done on the front end with no problems and without costing to much.

Thought Long tubes with HF cat would be one the first.

Any concerns with fuel system?

One inch drop and upgrade suspension is on the list once the power is there.

Cant wait to have it installed and it all Sycraft fault he took me for a ride at pony wars in GA and it was all over with.

Yall guys are :first:

JohnnyBfromPeoria 04-09-2013 01:05 PM

No concerns with the fuel system. Heck, my exhaust is still stock, too. Doesn't bother me any.

John B.

butters 04-09-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ventmaster (Post 6402491)
My .02 cents would be to upgrade the suspension.

This. Sway bars, bushings, control arm, and coilovers are next on my list. Then eventually the v8 differential.

V6owner 04-09-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by butters (Post 6403091)
This. Sway bars, bushings, control arm, and coilovers are next on my list. Then eventually the v8 differential.

My suspension was stock except for trailing arms and lowering springs. I don't have anything fancy

KMPrenger 04-09-2013 10:49 PM

Oh, and to the OP...sorry not trying to jack your thread.

I have to agree that adding LT headers is really all you need to get the most out of the IPF SC system. You'll be making incredible power...and it would be easier to have them installed before or during the SC install.

Otherwise, if you want to get the most out of that power, proper suspension should be your next focus, and if you take her to the 1/4 mile track, you'll want some good sticky tires. Preferable a DR on a lighter 18" or smaller riim will get you the best traction by far! This would likely have the added benefit of similating a lower gear ratio as well.

Good luck on your awesome purchase!

lscamaro 04-09-2013 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMPrenger (Post 6405548)
Oh, and to the OP...sorry not trying to jack your thread.

I have to agree that adding LT headers is really all you need to get the most out of the IPF SC system. You'll be making incredible power...and it would be easier to have them installed before or during the SC install.

Otherwise, if you want to get the most out of that power, proper suspension should be your next focus, and if you take her to the 1/4 mile track, you'll want some good sticky tires. Preferable a DR on a lighter 18" or smaller riim will get you the best traction by far! This would likely have the added benefit of similating a lower gear ratio as well.

Good luck on your awesome purchase!

This right here is what I'd recommend as well. The LT headers would probably be something you could do while installing it but by no means should it stop you from getting it installed if you cant swing the funds for them. Whose doing the install?

Overall, have fun with your purchase! :headbang:

Vader2011v6 04-10-2013 01:19 AM

I got a full exhaust and I actually installed my long tubes a week before I installed my Ipf kit. I think that's sufficient for the install because of the tune.Everything else can be installed later.if you plan to install high flow cats make sure you get a good set.

habunow1 04-10-2013 06:40 AM

I going to order the BBK long tube headers and HF cat this week and install them before the IPF is installed by Matt and the guys at FSP in Flordia. Suspension and brakes will be done as soon as the wife (financer) frees up funds after the install.

So after reading all the above post is there a better catch can which can be used with the IPF system or way to set it up to help insure the motor is not damaged. Maybe a scheduled maintance program other than regular oil changes that I can do to prevent any problems.

Wife not happy about me voiding the extended warrarty we have when it installed and the last thing I want to hear is her tell me I told you so. I need to be sure that I do all I can to prevent any problems that I can.

Again thanks for the input and it is giving me exactly what im looking for because this will be my first SC.

KMPrenger 04-10-2013 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habunow1 (Post 6406171)
I going to order the BBK long tube headers and HF cat this week and install them before the IPF is installed by Matt and the guys at FSP in Flordia. Suspension and brakes will be done as soon as the wife (financer) frees up funds after the install.

So after reading all the above post is there a better catch can which can be used with the IPF system or way to set it up to help insure the motor is not damaged. Maybe a scheduled maintance program other than regular oil changes that I can do to prevent any problems.

Wife not happy about me voiding the extended warrarty we have when it installed and the last thing I want to hear is her tell me I told you so. I need to be sure that I do all I can to prevent any problems that I can.

Again thanks for the input and it is giving me exactly what im looking for because this will be my first SC.

Don't get us wrong. You can do the headers later. its just that you will need a re-tune when you do so, which will cost you additional time and money.

As for whether or not IPFs ventalation design actually does damage the motor over time or not has not actually been proven. I think you really should contact IPF directly about this question instead of getting feedback from this forum which may or may not be feeding you accurate information.

So are you getting IPF's extended warranty, or is it a GM extended warranty? If it is IPFs warranty, then you should be covered for a good while, but they may not want you to run a compeititors catch can, which could void their warranty, and again, is something to ask IPF directly.

Excited for you. Good luck!

habunow1 04-10-2013 09:53 AM

Matt thanks for posting and I will PM you when I get close to paying off the SC to set up install. Now get back to work and make those other car owners happy with your great work. I know that the IPF SC is a quality product and I will get with Jesse and talk to him about any warranty they may offer in addition to the extended warranty I purchased from the Dealer.

I also did not want this to get into a arguements and would hope if there is a difference of opinions everyone could be respectful of each others thoughts and beliefs in what is the correct way to setup a motor. Thank to everyone for the input which gives me much to think about and research just making me a better carmaro owner.

lscamaro 04-10-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habunow1 (Post 6406648)
Matt thanks for posting and I will PM you when I get close to paying off the SC to set up install. Now get back to work and make those other car owners happy with your great work. I know that the IPF SC is a quality product and I will get with Jesse and talk to him about any warranty they may offer in addition to the extended warranty I purchased from the Dealer.

I also did not want this to get into a arguements and would hope if there is a difference of opinions everyone could be respectful of each others thoughts and beliefs in what is the correct way to setup a motor. Thank to everyone for the input which gives me much to think about and research just making me a better carmaro owner.

Just saw that Matt is doing your install! I would honestly just talk to him about any concerns or upgrades you're thinking of doing. Matt is one of the best at what he does. There is no way I think Matt will ever lead you astray! Do what he recommends and enjoy the new found power!

habunow1 04-10-2013 10:10 AM

I wish he was doing my install I still have to finish paying for it and cant wait but the wife has me on a budget on my mods. Hopefully Matt will be doing it in a few months and have no doubt in the abilities of the crew a FSP.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lscamaro (Post 6406682)
Just saw that Matt is doing your install! I would honestly just talk to him about any concerns or upgrades you're thinking of doing. Matt is one of the best at what he does. There is no way I think Matt will ever lead you astray! Do what he recommends and enjoy the new found power!

lscamaro 04-10-2013 10:46 AM

At least you know that once done paying for it, you'll have a kit that will provide some pretty good permagrin :D

KMPrenger 04-10-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habunow1 (Post 6406648)
... I know that the IPF SC is a quality product and I will get with Jesse and talk to him about any warranty they may offer in addition to the extended warranty I purchased from the Dealer.

I highly doubt that GM will warranty any drivetrain failures you could have after the SC is installed. So this just my opinion, but after the SC goes on you may want to dump the GM extended warranty and just rely on the IPF warranty.

I'm not sure on this, but I thought if you canceled an extended warranty with GM early you could get money back? Anyone know?

lscamaro 04-10-2013 11:35 AM

Yes, you get your money back. Uncle did it on his car. But if he has extended bumper to bumper, it might be nice to have for other "little" things. But for powertrain, I think your right that GM will not warranty any drivetrain failures.

scrming 04-10-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habunow1 (Post 6406171)

Cancel your extended warranty... you should get a prorated refund...

ASH@IPF-TUNING 04-10-2013 03:03 PM

Hello everybody !

i was reading between the line the explanations about clean evap side and dirty evap side and ist not allowed to mix them .... what a story!

every valve cover has an evap Connection to the intake to get rid of the crankcase exhaust gases .. when you boost the engine you MUST do the following changes :

1) Checkvalve to Keep boost out of the break Booster
2) Close all unused intake evap connectors
3) Checkvalve to the TANK EVAP System to Keep boost out of the Tank
4) all valve cover connectors must be collected into a collector pot
5) to expand the inner surface you can put steel wool inside the collector pot
6) the collector pot must be connected to the intake System before the SC

Normally you dont see much oil in the collector pot .... if YES .. then you have way tooo much crankcase pressure .. caused by too much boost ... too lean afr ... too much ignition advance with knocking ... !

greets ASH@IPF-TUNING

KMPrenger 04-10-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASH@IPF-TUNING (Post 6407790)
Hello everybody !

i was reading between the line the explanations about clean evap side and dirty evap side and ist not allowed to mix them .... what a story!

every valve cover has an evap Connection to the intake to get rid of the crankcase exhaust gases .. when you boost the engine you MUST do the following changes :

1) Checkvalve to Keep boost out of the break Booster
2) Close all unused intake evap connectors
3) Checkvalve to the TANK EVAP System to Keep boost out of the Tank
4) all valve cover connectors must be collected into a collector pot
5) to expand the inner surface you can put steel wool inside the collector pot
6) the collector pot must be connected to the intake System before the SC

Normally you dont see much oil in the collector pot .... if YES .. then you have way tooo much crankcase pressure .. caused by too much boost ... too lean afr ... too much ignition advance with knocking ... !

greets ASH@IPF-TUNING

Thanks Arno!

habunow1 04-10-2013 06:16 PM

Ok I just got back from my daughters track meet and see all of this ( did not read it all yet ) but if there is bad blood between the two of yall keep it to yourselfs or start your own thread to call each other names. I will read all and will research everything and will insure the setup wont do any harm because of it being my DD and dont want to hear the bitching (I hate people bitching) from the wife.

I do appricate all the input and will give me alot of thing to look into. I know when you SC a engine it does put extra wear on the motor and Im ok with that. Just want to make sure I do all I can not put unnessary problems on it.

Tran 04-10-2013 09:31 PM

Thread cleaned up. Infractions and bans resulted.

I remind ALL sponsors to discuss only your own company, products, and services. Failing to do so is subject to infractions/suspension.

right to travel 04-10-2013 10:19 PM

what i miss??

spyder 04-10-2013 10:20 PM

:sign0015:

butters 04-10-2013 10:58 PM

http://24.media.tumblr.com/6cca696b5...cc6bo1_400.gif

JohnnyBfromPeoria 04-10-2013 11:19 PM

"3) Checkvalve to the TANK EVAP System to Keep boost out of the Tank"

Arno, why wasn't this addressed with my LFX/2012+ engine instructions? No one has answered this for me yet. No parts or instructions cover this step for my installation, as the thumb drive illustrations show an LLT and the set-up is different on the LFX. No response from Jesse at local IPF when I asked him.

Just curious. Because I paid for it.

Thanks in advance,

John B.

ASH@IPF-TUNING 04-11-2013 04:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hallo !

You should have this checkvalve here installed ... that is used to Keep boost out of the tank evap System !

see the checkvalve in the yellow ring ! :smoking:

greets ASH@IPF-TUNING

sycraft 04-11-2013 06:27 AM

3 Attachment(s)
that is not located on the LFX....

Macrackie 04-11-2013 07:02 AM

New question to the evap system...

Why not vent everything open air??? Plumb everything to a vented can to catch any drips and be on your way. Sure its not epa but none of our other mods are either. This would eliminate all questions of crank case venting and oil ingestion would it not?