Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Reliability (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=471188)

Mr. Stacy 10-25-2016 06:21 PM

Reliability

Q. What do Lexus, Toyota, Buick, Audi, Kia, Mazda, Hyundai, Infiniti, BMW, Honda, Subaru, Acura, Nissan and Mini all have in common?

A. They all beat Chevy on reliability. (in that order, Consumer Reports 10/24/16)

However, they did score better than Ford. And WAY above the bottom dwellers Dodge & Chrysler.

Celebrate or work harder?

Kia in the top 5?

http://www.consumerreports.org/car-r...they-stack-up/

paul84043 10-25-2016 06:36 PM

Communist Reports is far from a reliable source of information.
Quantify the data, I don't buy it for a second.

FenwickHockey65 10-25-2016 06:42 PM

lol Consumer Reports.

Good for toilet paper and not much else.

Mr. Stacy 10-25-2016 06:58 PM

Hmmmm We know that, I wonder if it affects GP purchase decision?

JD Powers just says "Better than most" for dependability.

http://www.jdpower.com/ratings/study...by-Make/846ENG

I subscribed to CR once. That was enough to notice none of their ratings seemed to resemble my real-life experience.

Wonder why the media puts so much emphasis on CR? :iono:

audiowhiz 10-25-2016 07:18 PM

BMW :pound:
Yeah, until the warranty runs out.

zr1chris 10-25-2016 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Stacy (Post 9375876)
Q. What do Lexus, Toyota, Buick, Audi, Kia, Mazda, Hyundai, Infiniti, BMW, Honda, Subaru, Acura, Nissan and Mini all have in common?

A. They all beat Chevy on reliability. (in that order, Consumer Reports 10/24/16)

However, they did score better than Ford. And WAY above the bottom dwellers Dodge & Chrysler.

Kia in the top 5?

My Fiance has a Kia, she bought new in 2011. Almost 90k miles later we haven't done anything but change oil, tires, battery, and filters....

IBM 10-25-2016 08:29 PM

Hmm, did Fiat and Land Rover also make the list?

rontammy0 10-25-2016 08:34 PM

Your best source for this info is JD Power. Thats what the automotive industry uses to gauge their own products.

Freddy G 10-25-2016 08:54 PM

How come Buick has better reliability than chevy? They both made by GM, mostly using the same parts lol..

CamaroFred 10-25-2016 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy G (Post 9376105)
How come Buick has better reliability than chevy? They both made by GM lol..

Why does the Buick cost more?
Better parts. A lot of little things you may not notice like steel tubing instead of rubber vacuum lines, upgraded bearing materials on the crankshaft, etc.

BubbaSS 10-25-2016 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audiowhiz (Post 9375962)
BMW :pound:
Yeah, until the warranty runs out.

Once BMW hits 100k you better run!:emoticon1:

Dizzy82 10-25-2016 11:10 PM

A: All brands I will never drive.

L99CAMA2011 10-25-2016 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Stacy (Post 9375876)

Kia in the top 5?

Infiniti and BMW beat Chevy in reliability. WOW. I complain and had engine parts failure but dude no German car I ever owned was ever as reliable as my 2012 Camaro SS. None.

2013ZL1FUN 10-25-2016 11:28 PM

Yes poster #3, competition around the world has brought the quality of cars (and everything else) up. I think that if you really read Consumer Reports you would realize that not everything that is expensive is necessarily the best. I realize that you would scoff at an organization that collects data, and reports it out in a fashion that doesn't make our country ( or better yet, your company ) come out on top, not fit your narrative. We have (thankfully) moved beyond a time when (knucklehead) auto workers put marbles in the frame rails of the cars that they built. I will still buy a Camaro, as it is what I want to do. My eternal hope is that the engineers design in quality and it gets executed on the assembly line. Short of that, I will pay the aftermarket to repair the product that I choose to buy and bitch about how overpaid those in your industry are (for the quality level turned out). Amen.

backeddy 10-25-2016 11:44 PM

Lexus ranks highest in vehicle dependability among all nameplates for a fourth consecutive year, with a score of 89 PP100.
  • Buick (110 PP100) follows Lexus in the rankings, moving up three rank positions from 2014.
  • Following Buick in the rankings are Toyota (111 PP100), Cadillac (114 PP100), and Honda and Porsche in a tie (116 PP100 each).
  • Notable rank improvements from 2014 include Scion (121 PP100), improving by 13 rank positions from 2014; Ram (134 PP100), improving 11 rank positions; and Mitsubishi (140 PP100), improving 10 rank positions.

Long term JD powers scores................No BMW's or Chevy's, but there is a German car company up there (and they have been for several years)

redcoats1976 10-26-2016 02:59 AM

i can tell you the honda in our family has 300,000 miles on it.other than a rebuilt trans at 150,000 and a/c repair its been pretty reliable.

Snoman 10-26-2016 07:07 AM

Consumer Reports is nothing more than an advertising outlet just like the Better Business Bureau.

drew peacock 10-26-2016 07:23 AM

loada cobblers those reports...all cars today are mega reliable...i have driven over 1.5 million miles over the last 36 years and all my vehicles have gone over 200k with no problems.
i had a van go 400k on the same cambelt..it snapped one day and that was it

ShadowYYZ 10-26-2016 07:49 AM

My family and relatives list..

Honda and Toyota... best reliability.

Interesting read here though.

2013ZL1FUN 10-26-2016 04:37 PM

All J. D. Power is, is a mutual admiration society.

rontammy0 10-26-2016 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2013ZL1FUN (Post 9377396)
All J. D. Power is, is a mutual admiration society.

JD Power is a legitimate IQS period measuring stick for the auto industry that runs from Sept to Jan or so. Alot of good improvements come as a result of the Initial Quality Survey results.

CourtJester 10-26-2016 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul84043 (Post 9375898)
Communist Reports is far from a reliable source of information.
Quantify the data, I don't buy it for a second.

What he said....

I worked for Toyota for seven years in the Princeton, Indiana plant. Their vehicles (including Lexus) are pretty top notch from a reliability stand point, but a lot of those reports are still quite cooked. There's a number of reports that are gathered from owners within the first three months of owning a vehicle.
Some of the JD Powers data in the PPM categories measures if a hose clamp points down when it should point up. Doesn't matter if it fails after month six, it should have pointed up and a manufacturer will get dinged for it.
Far from trustable data.

Number 3 10-26-2016 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroFred (Post 9376126)
Why does the Buick cost more?
Better parts. A lot of little things you may not notice like steel tubing instead of rubber vacuum lines, upgraded bearing materials on the crankshaft, etc.

Actually no. But that's ok. Buick uses the same engines and transmissions and brakes and door latches and electronics that the other car should off of the architecture. Buick offers nicer features compared to the equivalent Chevy and offers a one year longer warranty. They go down the same assembly line using many of the same parts under the skin.

As for CR, well it usd to be you didn't even need to actually own a car to review it. LOL.

Mr. Stacy 10-26-2016 09:27 PM

Consumer Reports is generally by subscription only. They do not use actual consumer reviews, they buy their own test vehicles. But like I said, their reviews do not seem to mirrior my experience.

For example, IIRC they have NEVER rated Dyson vacuums very good, but I will swear, my Dyson is a suction machine unequaled in my experience. Ask a person with three huskies which vacuum to buy. :nod: I have had my Dyson Animal for 12 years and only ever replaced the hose. My Shark Rocket is like vacuum 2.0. That thing is truly the evolution of suction and convenience.

The last Dodge I bought (99 Dakota SLT V8 Club Cab) was flawless. My 07 Edge? Aside from a panoramic roof replacement (not a big deal because at the time it was cutting edge) was equally trouble free and frankly, astounding quality. My '12 Lincoln MKz (Fusion)... I can't even describe the level of quality and features... outstanding and not even a hint of a flaw... And I put quite a few of miles on them....

Peacock is right, the cars we drive today are heads above the offerings of decades gone by.. Anything from the big three in the 80's was pretty much crap. So we are kind of splitting hairs here.

I would like to see an assesment of vehicles with 100k plus on them...

IMHO owning a BMW or Mercedes out of warranty is asinine. You WILL get screwed. :lol:

I am worried I will need a new engine at about 120k. But the rest of it seems to be reliable.. For example BMW door lock actuators are known to fail rather predictably. And they are PITA to replace! Having a shop do it is over $400 (each), not something I worry about with my Chevy.

I worked at a garage in my teens. The owner had a 70's Pontiac Bonneville with 300k+ on it with NO major engine work on it... ever. His secret? Motor oil. He ran Chevron RPM 20 and changed it every 3k miles. I can only hope diligent maintenence habits will keep me on the road...

CamaroFred 10-26-2016 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 3 (Post 9377678)
Actually no. But that's ok. Buick uses the same engines and transmissions and brakes and door latches and electronics that the other car should off of the architecture. Buick offers nicer features compared to the equivalent Chevy and offers a one year longer warranty. They go down the same assembly line using many of the same parts under the skin.

As for CR, well it usd to be you didn't even need to actually own a car to review it. LOL.

So the LS3 used in the Corvette is exactly the same as the LS3 in our Camaros?

I don't know, my experience dates back to the 1970s. They all look alike from the outside but installing different bearings, rings, rocker arms, timing chains only seems to add a few dollars more, but a few dollars times thousands of engines...

As for CR, they lost my credibility when they recommended a $30K import over a $20K domestic when the windshield distortion on the import was so high as to be unacceptable. But it had a better ride when fully loaded. Because, you know, so many families always drive around in a fully loaded station wagon and that is more important than having a clear view of the road.
I wouldn't trust their opinion on a toaster.

redcoats1976 10-27-2016 03:47 AM

Mr. Stacy,why would you think you will need a new motor at 120k miles? unless theres something im not aware of i would think these motors are good for 200k unless you are beating on them regularly.

davidscamaro 10-27-2016 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redcoats1976 (Post 9378065)
Mr. Stacy,why would you think you will need a new motor at 120k miles? unless theres something im not aware of i would think these motors are good for 200k unless you are beating on them regularly.

Direct injection

redcoats1976 10-27-2016 02:27 PM

wow,D.I. is that good?id almost rather lose 1or2 mpg than be looking at a new motor at 120k.i know it was done to placate the EPA but did they consider the cost of rebuilds and the pollution that would generate?almost as good as cutting gas with ethanol and getting 10% less mileage...hmmm

davidscamaro 10-27-2016 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redcoats1976 (Post 9378874)
wow,D.I. is that good?id almost rather lose 1or2 mpg than be looking at a new motor at 120k.i know it was done to placate the EPA but did they consider the cost of rebuilds and the pollution that would generate?almost as good as cutting gas with ethanol and getting 10% less mileage...hmmm

Yeah it seems crazy that auto manufacturers don't care about there customers purchases or the longevity of there products just to barely meet the EPA standard. I work for a large transport and manufacturing oil field company and we do all are own repairs to are fleet trucks and the DI 5.0 ford f150's are needed both heads replaced at 60 to 80 thousand miles. The amount of carbon and oil build up on the valves is so bad that it's destroying the aluminium cylinder heads were the valves seal to the combustion chamber on the bottom of the head.

davidscamaro 10-27-2016 02:53 PM

All DI motors owners should just install one way check valves and small air filters in the pvc system and vent to atmosphere. Cap the pvc inputs that feed back to the intake,that way only clean fresh air will ever pass over your valves

Hell even 20 years ago they were smarter and would route the pvc return to before the air filter so the paper element would catch 99% of the carbon and oil before it ever came close to the valves.

NC_SS 10-27-2016 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Stacy (Post 9377850)
IMHO owning a BMW or Mercedes out of warranty is asinine. You WILL get screwed. :lol:

I can attest to this

My friend at work bought an '04 E55 AMG and modified it. It's spent more time in the shop than on the road lol. Also holy hell are parts expensive, he paid 1K just for a strut because the air gas started leaking out of it. That's not labor or anything else just one strut. He added a pulley that blew the head gaskets out causing a vacuum leak and he's paying $2,500 to get that fixed. It'll drive for about a week in between breaking down for about a month at a time.

Mr. Stacy 10-27-2016 05:04 PM

Mine went about 45K without a catch can, so I need to pull the intake and clean the valves etc.

I am also wanting to change the transmission oil and filter, but I'm not sure how they fill it up again or know how much... Perhaps measure what came out? I know they have some kind of pressurized system to drain and refill...

There will be excessive buildup even with a catch can or check valve/filter system because of the lack of a fuel wash over the valves during operation. The fuel wash was one reason injected engines were so much more reliable and lasted so much longer than carburetor equipped engines. DI without the advent of a cleaning system is a giant step backwards in engine reliability.

Hopefully someone steps up to fix the issue. We'll all be driving electric cars soon enough, but it will be a few years before heavier electric vehicles will be practical, so a solution would be prudent. At the very least, they could clean most of the crap out of the air being recirculated to the intake! :doh:

Another consideration of the CR reviews is the only maker above Chevy that makes trucks is Nissan (you can't really call the Ridgeline a truck). So considering all consumer vehicles, Chevy really came in 2nd, just behind Nissan. :)

thegreatwhite 10-27-2016 05:28 PM

take it from a BMW 3 series owner thats now become a camaro owner. that list couldnt be anymore wrong. put about 100,000 miles on the 3 series and after the first 50,000 it was just one problem after the other.

now have a 2014 camaro at about 45,000 miles and the only thing its ever seen a shop for is an oil change. night an day difference

thegreatwhite 10-27-2016 05:29 PM

as far as reliability il take any chevy over a bmw.

now in the looks dept thats a different story.

Mr. Stacy 10-27-2016 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thegreatwhite (Post 9379180)
take it from a BMW 3 series owner thats now become a camaro owner. that list couldnt be anymore wrong. put about 100,000 miles on the 3 series and after the first 50,000 it was just one problem after the other.

now have a 2014 camaro at about 45,000 miles and the only thing its ever seen a shop for is an oil change. night an day difference

Yup. Loved my E46, aside from the paranoia. :lol:

redcoats1976 10-28-2016 06:03 AM

my dealer told me a catch can would void the warrantee.guess i will have to drive pretty hard once i hit 90,000 miles,or get close to 5 years.you could almost envision a class action suit against car makers offering DI engines if the design is truly that bad...

Snoman 10-28-2016 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rontammy0 (Post 9377560)
JD Power is a legitimate IQS period measuring stick for the auto industry that runs from Sept to Jan or so. Alot of good improvements come as a result of the Initial Quality Survey results.

You should really do some research and find out where you're drinking water actually comes from before buying it. The methodology and calculations JDP uses with their 8 categories completely fail any statistical evaluation test, making the entire process worthless. They make great click-bait.

Quote:

Originally Posted by redcoats1976 (Post 9379710)
my dealer told me a catch can would void the warrantee.guess i will have to drive pretty hard once i hit 90,000 miles,or get close to 5 years.you could almost envision a class action suit against car makers offering DI engines if the design is truly that bad...

Find a different dealer that isn't toting the party line hook line and sinker.

NC_SS 10-28-2016 07:03 AM

I heard that new Cummins Nissan truck is as weak as piss water

I haven't really took the time to look into reviews but a friend at work said the ecoboost F150 worked circles around the new Cummins Titan in comparison tests

Welker2 10-28-2016 07:41 AM

Based on personal experience, I have to question CR's assessments and ratings, especially when it comes to vehicles.

With one exception, I have owned nothing but Chevys for the past 4 plus decades (about 30% used/70% new); a few of which had over 100K and a couple had over 200K miles before selling/trading. Outside of normal servicing and wear-and-tear replacements (tires, batteries, brakes, plugs, etc.) and replacing a couple alternators and starters, none ever gave me any problems or had any major mechanical or other issues (knock on wood).

The exception was a 2000 Jeep Cherokee ... was replaced when the engine ceased up as a result of a failed oil pump.

On the flip side, family members have owned Hondas, Toyotas, Lexus', Audis & a couple BMWs, as well as Fords & Dodges over the years that have given them nothing but trouble and have taken many trips to their local service departments, many for major, very costly repairs.

Again, this has been my personal experience and why I will stick with my Chevys ... at least until I can afford a new Lamborghini :D

redcoats1976 10-28-2016 08:35 AM

im really hoping this will be the last car i need to buy,and im only 58.happy with it so far and my cars tend to be long termers.the only one i traded in with less than 10 years of service was a pontiac solstice.nice car,mostly reliable,but not enough legroom and hard to get in and out of (im 6 ft2)had my pontiac tempest hot rod 25 years and bought it as a 15 year old used car.as long as this camaro doesnt fall apart i will be rockin it in 2030...