Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Another Door Ding Story (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=509066)

Junior 09-26-2017 08:13 AM

Another Door Ding Story

I selfishly posted this in another member's thread about him dinging a coworker's car, so I apologize for that. No one responded, so there was no hijack/no foul. This happened a bit over a week ago, and I now have some updates. To start off, here is the story:

I took my son camping for the weekend, so decided to take my wife's Pilot, as it is ideal for carrying all the gear we wanted. Just sold my truck, so my wife had to take my Camaro to work. She parks in the furthermost lot from her building, in the furthermost spot. Apparently no one ever parks there unless they drive their "baby" to work. Well, she looks out the window in the morning, and low and behold there is a car parked right next to her...with all the other spots empty (must be British, you know how they love queues LOL). At the end of her workday, wife goes out and sees the same car (a small Mitsubishi SUV) parked right next to her. She checks and of course there is a ding in the passenger door of my Camaro. She lines up the Mitsubishi's door edge and it's obvious they were the culprit. Not to mention the Mitsubishi's door edge is riddled with paint chips from past offences. She decides to wait for the culprit. Security sees her and asks what she's doing, so she explains, they agree and affirm her notion that the Mitsubishi is definitely responsible, and they file an incident report. In the meantime, she calls our insurance company, provides the vehicle's VIN and plate number. Insurance company stated that once they identify the owner, we can file a claim against them, and that the security's incident report may aid in resolution. We are supposed to hear back from the insurance company today regarding moving forward with this, as the owner never came out despite my wife waiting for an hour after 5pm. Meanwhile I have been fuming for 6 days! The ding isn't horrible, though it is right on the door crease, and looks to have some discoloration. I'm not sure how difficult the repair will be, but I'm even prepared to pay for it myself, so my car can be ding free again...

Door Ding
https://i.imgur.com/DDAgxgi.jpg

Close Up
https://i.imgur.com/7fiFiKK.jpg

Mitsubishi's Door Edge
https://i.imgur.com/vbT8dDz.jpg

Update:
My insurance company reached back out to us to let us know they found the owner of the Mitsubishi, and they insure him as well. They gave my wife his name, so she had her place of work's security call him down to the security kiosk so they can talk about the incident, as he never used the note she left on his car called her back. He came down and was apologetic (to my wife, in front of security) stating he had no idea he dinged our car, it was unintentional, and that he would not contest the claim. Apparently, now he is contesting. Fingers crossed that his statements to my wife in front of witnesses implicates him enough to better our case. In the meantime, my wife has an appointment tomorrow with the video security guy to review footage.

Texas_RS 09-26-2017 08:34 AM

I don't think it's serious enough to claim on insurance or you're wife's coworkers insurance. Not really worth the hassle and potential stress/ tension at her workplace.. accidents happen man. That's about 5 minutes pdr repair at about $80-$125.

Junior 09-26-2017 12:11 PM

I don't have any experience with PDR so I couldn't say if that would be sufficient. The indentation on the crease it what concerns me most.

BAD DAB 09-26-2017 01:00 PM

Not to worry. A good paintless dent repair tech will be able to fix that just like new. I had a dent in that very same location and I was sick about it. I was very satisfied with the results. Cost about $125.

Texas_RS 09-26-2017 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junior (Post 9919201)
I don't have any experience with PDR so I couldn't say if that would be sufficient. The indentation on the crease it what concerns me most.

I'm a PDR Tech, that's a common area to get door dings on camaro doors because of how the bodyline sticks out most on the door. But don't worry, it's a easy fix.

Cyrus 09-26-2017 02:29 PM

For me its the principal of it all, I'd make his insurance pay I don't care how much it costs. First question is why did he park right beside your car with so many other empty spaces. Kills me when people do that. And he says he had no idea he hit your car, thats BS. Accidents happen but own up to it. His wife left a note with a phone number to call and he ignored it.

Once everything's settled I'd sue him for improper parking also :)

lbls1 09-27-2017 07:47 AM

If PDR takes care of it then good. Its your call to report it against the culprit's insurance (it would serve them right). Door dings are very common, and you literally have to be on top of the car in order to prevent them. Many drivers are not anal (like me) and they just flop their cars into any spot, and wail away at swinging those doors open.

As of late I am less forgiving of losses, accidents due to negligence, and if it were me and the culprit did not own up to it, I might be inclined to claim it against the person as well.

Good luck.

ron123 09-27-2017 08:10 AM

3 Attachment(s)
After the repair these would help if you ever are in a situation where it is possible someone may park adjacent.
Homemade from leftover PVC plumbing pipe, door handle hook is padded; takes 10 seconds to install on each side.
Going on 5 years and no dings. Car not stolen either, don't think they know how to get the door open ;-)

MosesBarkley 09-27-2017 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ron123 (Post 9920144)
After the repair these would help if you ever are in a situation where it is possible someone may park adjacent.
Homemade from leftover PVC plumbing pipe, door handle hook is padded; takes 10 seconds to install on each side.
Going on 5 years and no dings. Car not stolen either, don't think they know how to get the door open ;-)

LOL... I love it!:thumb:

I need those for my Camille!

Maybe I'll see you at Camaros For Heroes event @ Fayetteville Dragway on Saturday & can get a closer look at your craftsmanship.

silversleeper 09-27-2017 09:26 AM

Think she'll float? Car looks fantastic, like the stripe color and design.

ron123 09-27-2017 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silversleeper (Post 9920242)
Think she'll float? Car looks fantastic, like the stripe color and design.

Thanks, I will mention that "Float" feature in the patent Drawings. The Retro-SS stripe is a dealer/Chevy package as part of the 20% off MSRP sale promo.
The car is allergic to door dings and noodles really does the trick in preventing them.

ron123 09-27-2017 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MosesBarkley (Post 9920207)
LOL... I love it!:thumb:

I need those for my Camille!

Maybe I'll see you at Camaros For Heroes event @ Fayetteville Dragway on Saturday & can get a closer look at your craftsmanship.

Not sure - will Google that. You go to Wake Forest Cars and Coffee 4th Saturday? Usually 1/2 dozen Camaro there.
Was at the NHRA Top Fuel in Charlotte 9/16.
Saw a bunch of COPO Camaros running the track. So tempting to adjust and dump a bit of alcohol or Nitro-methane in mine but I like having the warranty too and un-melted engine.

gringo 09-27-2017 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas_RS (Post 9919278)
I'm a PDR Tech, that's a common area to get door dings on camaro doors because of how the bodyline sticks out most on the door. But don't worry, it's a easy fix.

If it's such an easy fix, why do PDR techs always make it seem like it's a difficult or impossible area to work on?

gen5dewy 09-27-2017 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringo (Post 9920488)
If it's such an easy fix, why do PDR techs always make it seem like it's a difficult or impossible area to work on?

Bingo! It's just to charge you more