Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Started SS3 Cam Install Today (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=604447)

Badbubba 04-15-2022 05:27 PM

Started SS3 Cam Install Today

1 Attachment(s)
I'm a little late to the game, but you know what they say. Finished getting all the tidbits, I think. I have next week off. So I'll be taking my time and hopefully enjoy the install.

Falfan 04-15-2022 07:03 PM

That's awesome, I can't wait till I can get cammed

CamaroDreams76 04-16-2022 06:09 AM

definitely not late to the game. I've owned my car since 2013 and am just getting around to putting a cam in it.

demonspeed 04-16-2022 06:50 AM

You forgot heads :smiling1:

IWANTA(ss) 04-16-2022 09:57 AM

WelcoMe to the clubs had the ss4 for about a year and the stock lifters finally caught me now I’m putting a new ss4 and GPI heads combo as we speak. Your going to have some fun.

Badbubba 04-16-2022 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonspeed (Post 11161748)
You forgot heads :smiling1:

Quote:

Originally Posted by IWANTA(ss) (Post 11161824)
WelcoMe to the clubs had the ss4 for about a year and the stock lifters finally caught me now I’m putting a new ss4 and GPI heads combo as we speak. Your going to have some fun.

Yeah, heads and lifters will eat at me in my mind.

IWANTA(ss) 04-17-2022 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badbubba (Post 11161897)
Yeah, heads and lifters will eat at me in my mind.

I will pass on some advice that I ignored. If you can do the lifters. In one of my cam threads someone told me this and I didn’t and that’s what failed on my car. It wasn’t carnage thank the stars but it put my car down for a while with the pandemic.

demonspeed 04-17-2022 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IWANTA(ss) (Post 11162072)
I will pass on some advice that I ignored. If you can do the lifters. In one of my cam threads someone told me this and I didn’t and that’s what failed on my car. It wasn’t carnage thank the stars but it put my car down for a while with the pandemic.

It’s only adding a set of bolts and gaskets, so sort of a no-brainer to do at the same time. I can understand not doing it, though, as plenty have been perfectly fine not. I’d say it depends more on the cam and how one intends to actually drive their car.

1JEWLDSSRS 04-17-2022 09:10 AM

Welcome to the "cammed" club!! You're gonna love the difference in performance..

Badbubba 04-17-2022 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IWANTA(ss) (Post 11162072)

Looked at at your profile threads somewhat. Which cam, SS4 no fly cut? Looks like different trunions with that broken rocker.

Badbubba 04-17-2022 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonspeed (Post 11162088)
It’s only adding a set of bolts and gaskets, so sort of a no-brainer to do at the same time. I can understand not doing it, though, as plenty have been perfectly fine not. I’d say it depends more on the cam and how one intends to actually drive their car.

Ocassional trip to PRP, or Keystone again now. If I do lifters, then I'll want to do heads and intake. The lifters would just be for reliability, not looking to get more out of the heads or intake as I can still spray. But if that stuff is off, then may as well upgrade.

demonspeed 04-17-2022 11:24 AM

I didn’t realize you’re in Pittsburgh as well (I’m up in Cranberry). PRP isn’t going to hurt anything; you’re not at sustained rpms for very long. I killed my engine wearing out the bronze trunions with a BTR Stage 4, but I road race at pitt race, so it takes a toll (basically equivalent to making 300 strip passes per day). The lifters were fine, though. I have since, however, upgrade to link bar lifters, shaft mounted rockers, and 3/8 pushrods. Stock rebuilt heads, but had P&R in Greensburg do my short block (379ci 11:1 and forged pistons). Hope to get the stupid car back on the road this month.

Even though I am more into road racing these days, I still love drag racing and try to make it to PRP at least once a season. Maybe I’ll see you around!

Moto-Mojo 04-17-2022 03:55 PM

It ought to be lopin’ beast. Someday I’ll quit CA and go where I can be free to mod a fookin car. Enjoy!

IWANTA(ss) 04-18-2022 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonspeed (Post 11162088)

My thing was I didn’t want to pull the heads and not port them. So I rolled the dice. But your right but as the saying goes hind sight is 20/20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badbubba (Post 11162151)
Looked at at your profile threads somewhat. Which cam, SS4 no fly cut? Looks like different trunions with that broken rocker.

Yea that’s the cam. I had the CHE trunnions I upgraded to the BTR shaft kit this time with upgraded BTR exhaust rockers and the 2110r Johnson lifters.