Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Tire Rotation or what?? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235880)

SolomonAKOO 07-08-2012 07:53 AM

Tire Rotation or what??

I know you cant rotate the tires because of the size differential, but what do you do if the front tires are starting to feather? i check the pressure and its fine, the alignment is ok, and i only have 12,000 miles on my 2011 2SS. Any suggestions on what to do?

RJTV6A 07-08-2012 08:05 AM

I suppose you could dismount the tire from the wheel and mount them so the feathered edge is on the inside.

SolomonAKOO 07-08-2012 08:11 AM

Didn't think about that. I'll try that and hope that works out.

ParisTNDude 07-08-2012 08:12 AM

tires are directional and won't work on any wheel other than the one installed and you can't just turn the feathered side in as proposed by someone else. One of the c5 members said a tire had been mounted inside outward from the factory...check that?

SolomonAKOO 07-08-2012 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ParisTNDude (Post 5254097)
tires are directional and won't work on any wheel other than the one installed and you can't just turn the feathered side in as proposed by someone else. One of the c5 members said a tire had been mounted inside outward from the factory...check that?

Thank you I'll check that first then.

Envious 07-08-2012 08:27 AM

The tires are uni-directional. They can't be switched to the inside, they actually are marked for the appropriate corner.

SolomonAKOO 07-08-2012 08:31 AM

well all of the tires are mounted correctly on the car so now im back to square one. what are the causes of feathered tires? Ive never had a pair of tires feather on any of my previous vehicles.

Mr_Draco 07-08-2012 08:33 AM

The Pirelli's aren't directional, but they do have a inside and outside which is marked on the tire. Check the tire and make sure it says (outside). If it does then your only option is to rotate your tires side to side.

Something else, at 12k miles if you are having this issue then either your alignment is off or your toe is wrong. Either way, you need to visit your dealer before it gets worse.

lre107 07-08-2012 08:35 AM

Here is a link that describes abnormal tire wear and possible causes and possible fixes....

http://www.procarcare.com/includes/c...dtirewear.html

"Feathering
Feathering is a condition when the edge of each tread rib develops a slightly rounded edge on one side and a sharp edge on the other. By running your hand over the tire, you can usually feel the sharper edges before you'll be able to see them. The most common cause of feathering is incorrect toe-in setting, which can be cured by having It set correctly. Occasionally toe-in will be set correctly and this wear pattern still occurs. This is usually due to deteriorated bushings in the front suspension, causing the wheel alignment to shift as the car moves down the road."

Hope this helps some.

SolomonAKOO 07-08-2012 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Draco (Post 5254116)
The Pirelli's aren't directional, but they do have a inside and outside which is marked on the tire. Check the tire and make sure it says (outside). If it does then your only option is to rotate your tires side to side.

Something else, at 12k miles if you are having this issue then either your alignment is off or your toe is wrong. Either way, you need to visit your dealer before it gets worse.

Thanks i'm going to make an appointment on Monday with my dealer.

SolomonAKOO 07-08-2012 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lre107 (Post 5254120)
Here is a link that describes abnormal tire wear and possible causes and possible fixes....

http://www.procarcare.com/includes/c...dtirewear.html

"Feathering
Feathering is a condition when the edge of each tread rib develops a slightly rounded edge on one side and a sharp edge on the other. By running your hand over the tire, you can usually feel the sharper edges before you'll be able to see them. The most common cause of feathering is incorrect toe-in setting, which can be cured by having It set correctly. Occasionally toe-in will be set correctly and this wear pattern still occurs. This is usually due to deteriorated bushings in the front suspension, causing the wheel alignment to shift as the car moves down the road."

Hope this helps some.

Yes this helps alot thank you for that..

oldfriend 07-08-2012 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJTV6A (Post 5254086)
I suppose you could dismount the tire from the wheel and mount them so the feathered edge is on the inside.

We can't do this on this tires , they are clearly marked OUTSIDE face

2SShowngo 07-08-2012 09:48 AM

having been in the tire business for many years theres a couple things that could be goin on. is the tire feathered just on the edge,if so this is a toe issue and a simple alignment will fix the problem but not the feathered tire.if the whole tire is feathered than you either have a bad tire or a bad suspension component,i.e. shock,spring,mount. make sure the dealer SHOWS you what they found or this could be an issue popping up all the time.

babytiger 07-08-2012 09:49 AM

Alignment could still be an issue. Just because the steering wheel is straight and it feels like it's driving straight, it could still be off.
Alignment set from the factory has the tires set real tight to have the 'feel' of the drive very stiff and sporty.