Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   Is anyone putting headers on? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208032)

actireman 03-07-2012 03:27 PM

Is anyone putting headers on?

And if so, who is the best and or what kind? Also, are you keeping stock cats on or changing them also? Thanks, I'm trying to start to get my ducks in a row.:)

Blueclyde 03-07-2012 03:47 PM

No, I'm not going to make any performance modifications at all to this car. I just sold my 2011 2SS that I had made a bunch of modifications to (heads, cam, headers, high flow cats, etc.). If I were going to put headers on the ZL1 I would go with Kooks with their high flow catalysts. If you are going to do the headers you may as well do the catalysts. Just my opinion here...the warranty and ease of resale (if you ever needed to sell it) is much more valuable than 100 extra HP on a car that already makes enough from the factory. Agian, for me no mods. Some will and that's cool.

Erik@Torq 03-07-2012 03:49 PM

I will be throwing on some Kooks LT headers with cats as soon as mine arrives! I also recommend going with high flow cats, less smell, not as loud etc.

/Erik

Mr.Maro23 03-07-2012 03:57 PM

Erik your getting the Zl1? Cant wait to see that monster

Erik@Torq 03-07-2012 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Maro23 (Post 4605313)
Erik your getting the Zl1? Cant wait to see that monster

You betcha! White with carbon insert. Got some sick plans for it :thumbup:

/Erik

556hp 03-07-2012 04:31 PM

The cats should already be high flow if anything like the CTS-V. Change the exhaust and be sure to tune as well. Nothin simple anymore.

radz28 03-07-2012 04:39 PM

It'll be interesting to learn the gains. I'm getting conflicting information... I've seen some big shops claim LTs on LS9 motors don't really produce much gain; I've read some comments by shops in our Community that suggest something similar...

hognutz 03-07-2012 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 556hp (Post 4605678)
The cats should already be high flow if anything like the CTS-V. Change the exhaust and be sure to tune as well. Nothin simple anymore.

usually with longtubes though placement is not correct. the factory uually puts the cats close to the manifolds now a days.

I probabaly will. I have read that when you add headers though sometimes you can lose boost. If this is true I want to do headers at the same time as my pulley upgrade so they will both work together.

I will definatly go with cats if I do the extra fuel smell annoys me now that I am not used to it anymore.

If I do I think I will use either kooks or american racing.

for me I would like to get the car well into the 11's on stock rubber. that is kind of what I am used to driving right now. other wise I will lose penis size for sure.

It is hard to say at this point though. I though I was going to mod my Z06 a bunch and it is just pretty fast as is so I concentrated on paying it off instead of modding. if it is fast "enough" I might just leave it alone for a bit and buy the .50cal I want instead. It all comes down towhether or not I want to try and outrun the Zombies or stand and fight.

Pappa Joe 03-07-2012 06:20 PM

......... and buy the .50cal I want instead. It all comes down towhether or not I want to try and outrun the Zombies or stand and fight.[/QUOTE]

Did someone mention guns? Would that be a handgun or rifle?
I was forced into buying a new Springfield M1A National Match.I was surfing the net and found a dealer that actually had some.They seem to be rare in Canada,well lots of cheap Chinese made ones around. I prefer the real McCoy myself!

htron50 03-07-2012 07:00 PM

Well, I've read that if you put headers on, your supercharger pressure rates drop.... not sure the overall benefit is there with just headers and no supercharger mods. And then add the cost of a refused warranty claim. ANY performance mods will get you denied IMHO.

jlbabb 03-07-2012 07:38 PM

I put AR headers on my 2011 SS along with cold air & tune. It made 420 to the rear wheels. I have never had a supercharged car but plan on doing headers & pulley mod. I would do the cats as well if I were you. I have a bone stock 2008 Z06 & want the Zl1 to have that kind of power. It's gonna be a challenge with the extra weight. The Z06 is a beast. My 2011 SS pulled hard out of the hole but the Z06 just keeps pulling.

99firehawk 03-07-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htron50 (Post 4606615)
Well, I've read that if you put headers on, your supercharger pressure rates drop.... not sure the overall benefit is there with just headers and no supercharger mods. And then add the cost of a refused warranty claim. ANY performance mods will get you denied IMHO.

Not true from my experience.......the boost level won't change, but lower end torque suffers a tad with headers. They will help mid to high rpm though, assuming you are flowing more air through a CAI and ported intake and a matched tune to optimize those (btw....a ported intake is not essential with headers, just adds more air flow if done properly). Motors are just an air pump.

I put 1-7/8th Kooks stepped coated headers on my Magnum SRT8 with a 426 AFTER I put a 2.3L Magnuson supercharger on, and measured no boost level loss at any RPM on many dyno pulls. To compensate for the mild lower rpm torque loss, I change the torque converter to a 3000 stall and that combo is great!

I could be wrong with the LSA boosted motor, but it wouldn't make sense if boost pressures dropped.

2012ZL1 03-07-2012 11:35 PM

I am definately slappin on some long tubes..not sure which yet.

radz28 03-08-2012 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pappa Joe (Post 4606332)
......... and buy the .50cal I want instead. It all comes down towhether or not I want to try and outrun the Zombies or stand and fight.

Did someone mention guns? Would that be a handgun or rifle?
I was forced into buying a new Springfield M1A National Match.I was surfing the net and found a dealer that actually had some.They seem to be rare in Canada,well lots of cheap Chinese made ones around. I prefer the real McCoy myself![/QUOTE]

I have a .50 AE on order (actually - a .44 mag that I have to convert to .50 because CA sucks), so, eventually - I'll do both :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99firehawk (Post 4606967)
Not true from my experience.......the boost level won't change, but lower end torque suffers a tad with headers. They will help mid to high rpm though, assuming you are flowing more air through a CAI and ported intake and a matched tune to optimize those (btw....a ported intake is not essential with headers, just adds more air flow if done properly). Motors are just an air pump.

I put 1-7/8th Kooks stepped coated headers on my Magnum SRT8 with a 426 AFTER I put a 2.3L Magnuson supercharger on, and measured no boost level loss at any RPM on many dyno pulls. To compensate for the mild lower rpm torque loss, I change the torque converter to a 3000 stall and that combo is great!

I could be wrong with the LSA boosted motor, but it wouldn't make sense if boost pressures dropped.

It seems to me, in many cases, boost drops because it is more a measure of restriction. What is more important than actual boost is the volume of air you can push. If you can flow more volume at lower boost, you'll heat the air less (because physics and chemistry says that when you pressurize something, it heats up), which is, obviously, desirable. It could be your SRT8 just has a good exhaust already. I would've thought that little elephant had pretty restrictive manifolds (though - aren'y they multi-piece?), but maybe not as much as I assumed. That sounds like a cool combination!!!

I read a CTS-V header review in GMHTP several issues ago, and I think they reported a couple psi loss; not surprising... BUT... we have different manifolds and exhaust on ZL1 so it'll be a little different but probably not too much. What's MORE interesting is the latest issue where ADM installed a Stage 1 kit with an upper pulley, some intake goodies, isolator, ported snout, and tune, and picked up something like +60RWHP. Where the interesting facts were, were a new snout (the 'V was a new '12 model) with an additional vacuum port; but the car put down 520 RWHP on a dyno' that, in the past, 'Vs put down about 490... They suggested, perhaps, there were some more changes for LSA the '12 MY that weren't announced. Anyways - I'm just saying it'll be interesting to see how ZL1 responds to all these mods' :D