Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   2012+ LFX Dyno Thread (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233394)

HP Turbine 09-22-2012 08:28 PM

yeah. still a good run. Now its tune time!

HP Turbine 09-22-2012 09:54 PM

Wait. I'm sorry but why would the HP be higher with smaller rims??? I know the radius of the wheels between the 18s, 19s, and 20s is practically similar and the weight difference between the three is also minimal. So what would make more HP?

IneedAZ 09-22-2012 10:43 PM

Dyno guy was talking about rolling mass. He said he had a car on the dyno that they changed the tire size by 2" and showed almost 80hp less

HP Turbine 09-23-2012 07:02 AM

80! seems a bit much. If you had small tires tires A) you'd need to recalibrate your speedo. B) It would look stupid.

Keep the 20s

IneedAZ 09-23-2012 07:47 AM

I wouldn't change..just stating what he said he experienced by just changing tire sizes.

meissen 09-23-2012 07:57 AM

I have the 18" steelies - not sure how much lighter they are compared to the full on rims but I think your biggest pain point is the heat and humidity. Would have been good to see what the dyno numbers were when stock to really have a comparison.

The real truth to dynos is that you can't 100% compare your dyno numbers to anyone else's unless it was on the same dyno with the same conditions. Each dyno is going to be different - some in my town are known to be ball busters while others are known to read high. Then other companies are known to mess with the calibration for any car that wasn't built by them just so they can sell you performance parts and then adjust the dyno back to normal so they can show a huge improvement in HP after they're done.

Were you running 87 octane or 93?

HP Turbine 09-23-2012 08:05 AM

the 19s are a bit lighter.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51143

meissen 09-23-2012 08:15 AM

Sorry looking at that link I realized mine are 18" -- I have the heritage steelies that come on the LS.

IneedAZ 09-23-2012 08:17 AM

Running 93 octane last 4-5 months

Tampa Tuning 09-23-2012 08:30 AM

Tampa Orlando Dyno Tuning Camaro Corvette CTS-v GTO GM Trucks performance tuning

Mass build cars should have about the same horse power after leaving the factory. They have the exact same drivetrain built, but there is a little room for elevation and fuel type. On the same dyno, on the same day, they will be very close.

Its the dyno that plays the larger factor. Some dyno's read higher or can be made to read higher ( because higher numbers will help advertising for the shop), and some read lower and several reasons come into play on that.

Example,
Yesterday, I was tuning a package that the owner said was previously dyno'd at 499 RWHP on a mustang dyno in January on a dyno in Virginia on a cold winter day.

So like normal with no changes made to the calibration, Tampa Tuning did the normal baseline dyno pull, and we come up with 393 RWHP and 5 degrees of knock on a 248 Dyno Jet. Normally, Id expect those numbers to be reversed on two dyno types.

After tuning the package, I build it up to 430 RWHP.

So like I do with every client after we finish up the dyno tune and the street refinement process with them driving, I always ask if they notice a differance. The smile never lies. According to the owner, the car was faster with being quicker and smoother through the RPM band now. He was able to drive with the A/C on without the car stalling, and although the numbers were differant, the car performed much better.

So, the dyno is a tool. More can go into factors on why dyno themself read differantly, compared to why the same build packages on the same make and model vehicle, have differant numbers from dyno to dyno.

The dyno only shows me a graph of numbers, My HP Tuners scanner shows me how and why im getting those numbers.

www.TampaTuning.com
Phil

sycraft 09-23-2012 08:51 AM

I was running 93 with my graph as well.

JohnnyBfromPeoria 09-23-2012 11:18 AM

Good analysis, Phil, thanks.

I dropped almost ten pounds per wheel when I dumped my steelies and went with my aluminum wheels. Anybody need a set of four boat anchors/ashtrays?

People always seem to dwell on how heavy the stock mufflers are, and completely ignore how much their wheels weigh. Unsprung weight plays a (much) larger role in how your car accelerates, brakes and turns than any other weight loss regimen. Doubtful it would play much of a role in peak HP numbers, but it would make a difference in how fast the car is able to get to redline.

John B.

wyd_trkr 09-27-2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HP Turbine (Post 5609022)
I did mine on 20's. I'm not sure the last calibration, but I could find out.

Nice Dyno numbers guys, but what have your 1/4 mile times been at the track, or nobody has done that yet with their 2012 LFX V6 yet? Also, any track time numbers with any 2LT's yet as well? Thanks in advance for the replies. :chevy:

sycraft 09-27-2012 07:31 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=b3gDi8XlUoQ