Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Motorsports Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=134)
-   -   Drag radials? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235716)

AdamZ 07-07-2012 01:35 PM

Drag radials?

Anyone have any information on where to get some decent drag radials that won't break the bank?

Rockit_z28 07-07-2012 05:27 PM

Discount Tire

LimaCharlie 07-07-2012 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockit_z28 (Post 5251839)
Discount Tire

Discount Tire is a good place to start.
I think one of the best drag radials that could still be used on the street are Nitto NT555R. I've seen some people run them on 18" C6 Z06 wheels (front). The NT555R's are also available in a 20" size, so you could use them on your stock wheels.

AdamZ 07-07-2012 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LimaCharlie (Post 5253469)
Discount Tire is a good place to start.
I think one of the best drag radials that could still be used on the street are Nitto NT555R. I've seen some people run them on 18" C6 Z06 wheels (front). The NT555R's are also available in a 20" size, so you could use them on your stock wheels.

I had people telling my that the 18 inch vette drag radials were cheap, easy to find, and good for drag racing which is what I need them for. Idk what kind of tires those are....maybe those are what you're talking about?

LimaCharlie 07-08-2012 12:06 AM

The 18" Z06 wheels are available in OEM form or reproductions. Ebay usually has alot of them. Here is a reproduction company example:

http://www.factoryreproductions.com/...6-Z06-c141.htm

Here are the Nitto tires I'm talking about:

http://www.nittotire.com/Tire/nt555r

Higgs Boson 07-08-2012 01:02 PM

do you need them to hook? nittos do not hook. Mickey Thompson hooks. nittos is for show.....

lexlueger 07-08-2012 01:11 PM

:rolleyes: Nittos will hook just fine. There the best option if you drive to the track. As you increase your power level look at the hoosiers or et streets.

Higgs Boson 07-08-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lexlueger (Post 5254957)
:rolleyes: Nittos will hook just fine. There the best option if you drive to the track. As you increase your power level look at the hoosiers or et streets.

I will agree they are better than a stock tire but they still spin. I am not sure what your definition of "just fine" is but I have had Nittos, BFGs, and MT ET Streets and Street Radials on my street cars and Nittos are terrible for good 60 fts.

With a MT you can dump the clutch at 6 grand if you want and they will hook and that is with 850 HP in my Z06....

I have had Nitto 555Rs with 400 HP that don't hook.... To me, a 1.8 or 1.9 60 ft isn't even worth driving to the track. A stock powered car will get a 1.65 60 ft when it hooks so anything less is less than an ideal run, why bother? Because going in a straight line in 13.5 seconds is "fun?"

I race NHRA and IHRA Super Stock, race shifter karts, own some very high HP cars, tune stock cars and trucks as well as powerful ones.... I don't know what your background is besides having a supercharger on a Camaro but encouraging people to spend good money on tires to take to the track that simply do not have great traction is a horrible recommendation.

Why not just use what works best the first time??? The guy didn't say he wants a daily driver tire that works better than stock at the drag strip. he asked where he can get some decent drag radials. Key word is decent. Decent starts at BFG. Nittos are hardly decent (for the strip).

OP, if you are looking for something to use at the strip (and drive to and from the strip) I recommend Mickey Thompsons all day long. If you are looking for something you can put on your car without swapping them out, BFGs are better than Nittos but either will work.

If you go with MT, keep in mind radials are great for an automatic but if you have a stick, I only use ET Streets (non-radials). The sidewall takes the hit of the stick much better, radials hop and break parts....

Here is a clip of my old Z06 on ET Streets (non radials). Headers and a 100 dry shot only (and Pfadt coilovers on road course mode, lol):

http://www.streetfire.net/video/2001...gto_139156.htm

lexlueger 07-08-2012 05:18 PM

lexlueger
Nitto 555R
305/45/R18 Nittos hook...case closed. They may not have worked for you. I've run hoosiers/M/T/Nitto. The hoosiers are the most consistent of the three. I saw no increase in 6o times with nitto 555r/nt05r vs the M/T's. The hoosiers seem to be the superior drag radials on our platform.

Higgs Boson 07-08-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lexlueger (Post 5255764)
lexlueger
Nitto 555R
305/45/R18 Nittos hook...case closed.

I would not say case closed based on that, lol. You have a lot of HP to be able to even spin to a 1.56. If my race car spins it turns a 1.39, does that mean it hooked? No.

There are 100 examples of "nittos suck" for every example like yours.

However, there are good reviews on the NT05r.

BTW, have you tried a MT on your car (non-radial)? You may find even faster times. Unless you launched as hard as possible with no spin, there is more there.

BTW, what 1/4 mile time did that result in?

edit: I see you ninja edited. I agree, Hoosiers are also a good option. They are an even more dedicated tire than the MT, IMO.

lexlueger 07-08-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson (Post 5255795)
I would not say case closed based on that, lol. You have a lot of HP to be able to even spin to a 1.56. If my race car spins it turns a 1.39, does that mean it hooked? No.

There are 100 examples of "nittos suck" for every example like yours.

However, there are good reviews on the NT05r.

BTW, have you tried a MT on your car? You may find even faster times. Unless you launched as hard as possible with no spin, there is more there.

BTW, what 1/4 mile time did that result in?

edit: I see you ninja edited. I agree, Hoosiers are also a good option. They are an even more dedicated tire than the MT, IMO.

Can you read? I said I saw no improvement in 60 times with the M/T:iono:. Another know it all internet hero.:sm0:

Higgs Boson 07-08-2012 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lexlueger (Post 5255819)
Can you read? I said I saw no improvement in 60 times with the M/T:iono:. Another know it all internet hero.:sm0:

Yes, I can, can you? I acknowledged your ninja edit, which you chose not to read, I chose not to delete anything from mine. Lol, who can't read? Now you're just being an ass.

I've made my recommendation. I won't call you any names. And I'm no hero. Just smarter than you are, I see you take offense to it. I understand. It must be difficult to be you. Maybe one day I can understand the pain you suffered in your life. Probably not though. Now, go get Superman, comic boy. I liked that movie when I was like 5.

lexlueger 07-08-2012 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson (Post 5255835)
Yes, I can, can you? I acknowledged your ninja edit, which you chose not to read, I chose not to delete anything from mine. Lol, who can't read? Now you're just being an ass.

I've made my recommendation. I won't call you any names.

Ninja edit? COOL STORY BRO.

The thread is about drag radials. I sure the OP in interested in someone with real world experience with these tires on a 5th gen not some internet super racer with a garage queen...

Higgs Boson 07-08-2012 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lexlueger (Post 5255855)
Ninja edit? COOL STORY BRO.

The thread is about drag radials. I sure the OP in interested in someone with real world experience with these tires on a 5th gen not some internet super racer with a garage queen...

First, my race car is not a garage queen and my camaro is my daily, lol. What garage queen do I own? Are you now just going to throw odd things to say out there? What garage queen are you talking about, seriously? Are you on something?

Second, do you know what a ninja edit is? It means you clicked edit to add more info moments before I clicked reply. Had I clicked Quote, it would have read differently than your final post.

Cool story bro, lol.... I can see you have no ability to correlate appropriate internet memes and comeback lines to their appropriate comments or statements. I would have had to tell a story to get a "cool story bro."

You are highly entertaining. What random and unaccounted for statement will you make next?

As I have already stated, I have experience with all of the tires in question. Why are you making asinine statements? Completely false....