Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Road Course/Track and Autocross (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   Camaro Wheels for Autocross and/or Track Day (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528906)

PDXSSCE 05-15-2018 12:10 AM

Camaro Wheels for Autocross and/or Track Day

These are noob questions but hopefully Camaro drivers with experience will share their knowledge.

Which are best for road course handling, such as autocross and/or track days: 18x8 wheels with more rubber or 20x8 wheels with less rubber?

What's the difference between autocross & track days?

:iono:

PROZ11 05-15-2018 07:58 AM

You may get more answers to this in the Road Course/Track and Autocross section.

00 Z/28 05-15-2018 08:53 AM

Well GM saw fit to put 19" wheels on the Z/28, which is built for that sort of thing. So I might look in that direction.

Norm Peterson 05-16-2018 08:26 AM

Regardless of diameter, 8" isn't nearly wide enough. The only exception would be in autocross where you might be faced with a class rule that limits your wheels to that width because that's what your came with as stock. Basically, where you don't have a choice.

Autocross is a low speed event (typically under 60 mph) in a parking lot, so there isn't much room for straights of any real length. As an auto-x newbie, you probably won't even need to use 3rd gear.

Track days are at much higher speeds (typically above 60 mph except in the slowest corners) and the corners aren't nearly as close together. The condition of your car's brakes and brake fluid become much more important.

Norm

wakespeak 05-31-2018 08:53 AM

You need at least 10" up front IMO. 10.5 let you use 305s, which are likely ideal. I am on 285/35 and lots of cars turn inside of me.

PDXSSCE 05-31-2018 09:52 AM

Based on all your responses, it seems that a second vehicle for track days is more suitable than running mine. :twitch:

Norm Peterson 06-01-2018 07:12 AM

With a brake fluid change to one of the better DOT4 brands and entry-level track pads, it'll be good enough to get you started. From there assuming that you do get 'hooked', it can become a very slippery slope as you get better and more confident as a driver and more aware of what the car ought to be able to do better . . . or at least feel better while doing whatever that might be.

On that mater of 'feel', putting wider rubber on your existing wheels might actually manage to reach a slightly higher peak grip than what you've got on there now. But they won't be as quick to respond to steering inputs, and the steering won't be as linear or as precise as if those same tires were installed on wider wheels.

Norm

joelster 06-08-2018 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00 Z/28 (Post 10185389)
Well GM saw fit to put 19" wheels on the Z/28, which is built for that sort of thing. So I might look in that direction.

They put 19" wheels on the Z/28 because it was the most cost effective way to lower the car. The 20" 1LE/ZL-1 wheels had it sitting higher than they wanted. Tire selection is not nearly as good with 19" wheels.

Norm Peterson 06-08-2018 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joelster (Post 10211802)
They put 19" wheels on the Z/28 because it was the most cost effective way to lower the car.

Not screwing with the suspension geometry any more than absolutely necessary is apt to be a worthwhile approach in and of itself.

Norm

PDXSSCE 06-29-2018 04:47 PM

My buddy purchased a 2017 LS, which has factory 18x8.5 wheels & 245/50/18 tires. We were discussing visiting a road course & he wants to swap to performance tires for now. Should the size remain the same, change to 255/45/18, 245/45/18 or ....?

Norm Peterson 06-30-2018 07:09 AM

Sounds like it's going to be first time out for a couple of people..

Assuming that the tires the car has on it now will pass tech (tread depth, overall condition), he should just drive the car the way he's familiar with it being. If the tires need replacement, I think staying with 245/50's would be the way to go. That way he gets to use them in his DD without any downsides. If he gets hooked, he's going to want to step up well past 255's and 18x8.5's.

Side note - most track day organizations require a roll bar in order to track a convertible, and it will probably have to meet some spec.

Norm

joelster 06-30-2018 07:19 AM

He should probably do a few autocrosses first before attempting a road course.

Norm Peterson 06-30-2018 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joelster (Post 10235437)
He should probably do a few autocrosses first before attempting a road course.

Agreed.

Norm

PDXSSCE 06-30-2018 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson (Post 10235426)
Sounds like it's going to be first time out for a couple of people..

Assuming that the tires the car has on it now will pass tech (tread depth, overall condition), he should just drive the car the way he's familiar with it being. If the tires need replacement, I think staying with 245/50's would be the way to go. That way he gets to use them in his DD without any downsides. If he gets hooked, he's going to want to step up well past 255's and 18x8.5's.

Side note - most track day organizations require a roll bar in order to track a convertible, and it will probably have to meet some spec.

Norm

Hey Norm, I've been reading about tracking & I'm wondering why you prefer a Mustang for the track? I assure you, it's a sincere inquiry, not to bash your car. My understanding is that the solid rear axle is great in straight line acceleration, but an independent rear suspension is best for the track. Your knowledge is greatly appreciated.