Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Coilover install cost (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=576089)

RupertPupkin 05-27-2020 12:05 AM

Coilover install cost

Before you guys start saying ďdo it yourself...etc etc...Ē.......Iím pressed for time, and I lack the necessary tools to do coilovers. Emailed a couple of shops for pricing. Whatís a reasonable price to get these done? OR if thereís any forum members in the Chicagoland area willing to do it, Iíll pay you $ plus beer/pizza...lol. I donít mind paying people to do sh**, as long as itís fair.

:smoking:

Greenhornet2 05-27-2020 05:43 AM

You don't need any special tools. I'd say around 2 hours 3 max plus alignment. You may have to buy camber bolts for the rear tho

RupertPupkin 05-27-2020 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenhornet2 (Post 10798410)
You don't need any special tools. I'd say around 2 hours 3 max plus alignment. You may have to buy camber bolts for the rear tho

Yeah. I have to source out some tools. Friend option is still on the table, but he hasnít replied yet. 1 shop wanted 6hrs of labor at 150$/hr, plus 225$ for an alignment.

InFiD3ViL 05-27-2020 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RupertPupkin (Post 10798622)
Yeah. I have to source out some tools. Friend option is still on the table, but he hasn’t replied yet. 1 shop wanted 6hrs of labor at 150$/hr, plus 225$ for an alignment.

That's high, imo. Especially their estimate of 6 hours.

I won't lie, my coilovers kicked my ass. I did it in my driveway on jack stands and it took me the entire day. But I also ran into some stuck bolts and injuries lol. I also took multiple breaks and spent a bit of time measuring and adjusting for the amount of drop I wanted. I also cut into my trunk for the adjustment extensions and made sure the cuts were perfect, but many people skip the rear extensions and I totally get not wanting to cut into your trunk floorboard. But it did add to my overall time.

If I could do it again to save $150 per hour labor I certainly would. I see no reason why an experienced shop with a lift and proper tools would need 6 hours to do this. I spent $180 at a local Goodyear for the 3 year unlimited alignment and was happy with the results. Now when I add rear camber bolts I can go back and get it adjusted at no additional cost. A one time alignment would have cost me less than $100.

I would keep searching shops for better pricing if you are intent on having it done, as I think you can do better.

RupertPupkin 05-27-2020 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL (Post 10798725)
That's high, imo. Especially their estimate of 6 hours.

I won't lie, my coilovers kicked my ass. I did it in my driveway on jack stands and it took me the entire day. But I also ran into some stuck bolts and injuries lol. I also took multiple breaks and spent a bit of time measuring and adjusting for the amount of drop I wanted. I also cut into my trunk for the adjustment extensions and made sure the cuts were perfect, but many people skip the rear extensions and I totally get not wanting to cut into your trunk floorboard. But it did add to my overall time.

If I could do it again to save $150 per hour labor I certainly would. I see no reason why an experienced shop with a lift and proper tools would need 6 hours to do this. I spent $180 at a local Goodyear for the 3 year unlimited alignment and was happy with the results. Now when I add rear camber bolts I can go back and get it adjusted at no additional cost. A one time alignment would have cost me less than $100.

I would keep searching shops for better pricing if you are intent on having it done, as I think you can do better.

Impact gun does wonders on builds. I canít spend a whole day on this. I remeber when I had to swap out my rotors/brakes on my G8. Took me 6 hours since everything was seized, and it was 90* outside and humidity was at 100%. Felt like a Chinese worker in a factory.

550$ is the cheapest so far. Another shop wanted 940$ with alignment.

Greenhornet2 05-27-2020 02:07 PM

$550 is reasonable. The front is a cake walk. Rear is a little tougher as it's a tight fit. I don't think it would take me more than 2.5 hours working on the ground with an electric impact. I did my lowering springs in about that and i had to swap the springs.

InFiD3ViL 05-27-2020 02:40 PM

Yeah, $550 sounds fair for sure.

RupertPupkin 05-27-2020 02:55 PM

That’s good to hear that 550$ is not too bad.

Keoni068 05-27-2020 04:53 PM

I paid $400 for the install, including the installed trunk adjusters, and then $140 for the alignment at a different location. So it seems like you're getting a similar price!

mbesman 05-28-2020 08:15 AM

I paid about 500 for both install and alignment at Midas. Look for coupons also. I think that was 10% off.

RupertPupkin 05-28-2020 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbesman (Post 10799209)
I paid about 500 for both install and alignment at Midas. Look for coupons also. I think that was 10% off.

I sourced them out too, but they said they typically just do general oem stock stuff.