Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Stupid Question re: cai (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75165)

Fogey 04-04-2010 12:43 AM

Stupid Question re: cai

Is the GMPP "air intake" their version of a CAI? What is the advantage of a CAI. Also, GMPP shorty headers. Any thoughts?

brAnd7onX 04-04-2010 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fogey (Post 1674329)
Is the GMPP "air intake" their version of a CAI? What is the advantage of a CAI. Also, GMPP shorty headers. Any thoughts?

To be honest there are other inexpensive reputable dealers that come out with great products for both CAI and shorty headers.

Fogey 04-04-2010 11:30 AM

Two reasons for question

1. Want to stay with GM parts as much as possible because of warranty issues.
2. In preliminary discussions with my local Chevrolet sales person I proposed sort of a win/win which she was receptive to. I have a 99 VW Passat in very very good condition for its age. Edmunds says retail is about 4K, trade-in about 2.5K. Because the car is so old dealers arn't real gung ho about taking it. I hate selling cars myself though I have sold a bunch over the years.So what I suggested was that in exchange for the VW, which they probably wholesale, they give me shorty headers, air intake and a cat back system, all installed. At MSRP, parts about two grand, installation 3 or 4 hundred. So I get what I want and they have a markup on the parts, so they ge a happy customer and make a few bucks on the whole deal

masterofpuppets 04-04-2010 11:47 AM

To be clear, the GMPP and most all of the intake systems are NOT CAI's. A true cold air intake moves the filter away from the engine bay to somewhere that gets direct and colder air flow. The GMPP, and most all the intakes I've seen, are just high flow systems.

Fogey 04-04-2010 12:44 PM

Thanks

I may go for the GMPP ai as it is supposed to be somewhat better than stock

brAnd7onX 04-04-2010 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fogey (Post 1675511)
I may go for the GMPP ai as it is supposed to be somewhat better than stock

Any other CAI won't hurt your warranty unless they can prove that it was the cause of the problem. A GMPP CAI won't be any different than any other intake...

camarohead 04-04-2010 09:25 PM

Are they even offering the gmpp cai yet? Thought it was scratched.

Inferno2SSRS 04-05-2010 02:11 AM

I believe it was scrapped, if not it will be a while also with the shortys they scrapped them too. And for the exhaust you can only have them do axel back if its gmpp.

BackinBlackSS/RS 04-05-2010 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camarohead (Post 1677026)
Are they even offering the gmpp cai yet? Thought it was scratched.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inferno2SSRS (Post 1677733)
I believe it was scrapped, if not it will be a while also with the shortys they scrapped them too. And for the exhaust you can only have them do axel back if its gmpp.

The new GMPP catalog was recently released and the CAI was listed. Although not yet available, it should be out at some point. Hopefully sooner than later. I read in a thread here that Airaid was actually making it for GM. I have no clue if this is true, but that is what was posted.