Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   UPDATE: Ticking noice from supercharged / cammed LS3. (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235841)

Oxtar41 07-07-2012 10:30 PM

UPDATE: Ticking noice from supercharged / cammed LS3.

Hey guys I figured I would let you know what I found. Some of you have seen my first thread about a "ticking" sound I have in my engine. If you haven't here is the link to the first thread.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232918

Well here is what I found when I pulled the valve cover off. The passenger side is dead quiet but all of the drivers side rocker arms move from left to right. I did the JRE cam install and trunion upgrade so i'm not sure if this is infact normal because of the trunion set up using clips to keep the bearings locked in and it allows for a little play but the passenger side is dead quiet so i'm not sure.

Heres the video I took, like I said all of them on the drivers side make this noise and have play but the passenger side is quiet. You can imagine what this sounds like at 6500 rpm lol. Opinions? The car drives fine, makes great power but this is just annoying the hell out of me!

Heres the video. :w00t:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMAvEgeqaxU&feature=plcp

Oxtar41 07-07-2012 10:31 PM

Noise* I messed up the thread title lol.

Supercharged SS 07-07-2012 10:32 PM

Mine sounds like that. I will get you a video tomorrow and you can compare my engine noise and yours.

Oxtar41 07-07-2012 10:36 PM

I can live with the noise I'm just curious if this is in fact normal due to the design of the trunion set up. Everything is tight, the valve springs look perfect and pushrods look straight so I know there isnt an issue there.

The sound of these rocking back and fourth is what I'm hearing with out a doubt as I had my buddy rock them and you can hear it clear as day under the car by the headers like I said in my first post.

Supercharged SS 07-07-2012 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxtar41 (Post 5253159)
I can live with the noise I'm just curious if this is in fact normal due to the design of the trunion set up. Everything is tight, the valve springs look perfect and pushrods look straight so I know there isnt an issue there.

The sound of these rocking back and fourth is what I'm hearing with out a doubt as I had my buddy rock them and you can hear it clear as day under the car by the headers like I said in my first post.

I'm in the same boat. I just accepted it. Car runs strong. Logs are great. Kinda wierd but it is what it is.

Oxtar41 07-07-2012 10:42 PM

Same here, The car pulls like a SOB up top, idles fine, drives great, logs look really good as well I'm just curious if this is normal. I mean it is aftermarket performance stuff so I think it is normal givin the circumstances. But still doesnt explain why the passenger side is dead quiet.

PQ 07-07-2012 10:43 PM

:popcorn:

Supercharged SS 07-07-2012 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxtar41 (Post 5253189)
Same here, The car pulls like a SOB up top, idles fine, drives great, logs look really good as well I'm just curious if this is normal. I mean it is aftermarket performance stuff so I think it is normal givin the circumstances. But still doesnt explain why the passenger side is dead quiet.

What did Ted say? I've actually never asked him. He's driven the car a ton too and never a peep about it.

Supercharged SS 07-07-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PQ (Post 5253192)
:popcorn:

Hey, there is no pulley or logging help in here. Run along!!:laugh::sm0:

PQ 07-07-2012 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supercharged SS (Post 5253200)
Hey, there is no pulley or logging help in here. Run along!!:laugh::sm0:

:laugh:

I'm just here to learn. hahahaha

Oxtar41 07-07-2012 10:48 PM

I never asked ted either, I talked to one of the techs I wanna say it was nick? When I first noticed it and he said they never really had any issues like I was describing. I'm going to PM the post to ted and hopefully he will chime in here and spread some knowledge.

Supercharged SS 07-07-2012 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxtar41 (Post 5253216)
I never asked ted either, I talked to one of the techs I wanna say it was nick? When I first noticed it and he said they never really had any issues like I was describing. I'm going to PM the post to ted and hopefully he will chime in here and spread some knowledge.

Yeah. Nick does all the Camaros. Maybe I'll cruise over one day this week and let him poke around. He too though has been all over my car when it's been running.

Supercharged SS 07-07-2012 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PQ (Post 5253206)
:laugh:

I'm just here to learn. hahahaha

;)

Oxtar41 07-07-2012 10:54 PM

Just sent the post to ted, I'm sure he will chime in.