Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension / Brakes / Chassis (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   What should I replace when doing rear shocks? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532706)

LCPLPunk 06-29-2018 04:09 PM

What should I replace when doing rear shocks?

Hey guys,

So I have 1LE rear shocks to go on and I need to know what else I should replace while i'm there. I did my fronts a month ago and the strut mounts and rear isolators were shot. Should I replace the rear shock mounts?

I'm going to replace the isolators anyway because my front ones were garbage and I'm sure the rears are the same.

olblue75 06-29-2018 11:28 PM

There is a specific 1LE upper shock mount.

LCPLPunk 06-30-2018 06:39 AM

Ya, and I was going to buy them, but one is $35 and the other is like $70. I just decided to replace with new stockers since my car is now 8 years old and has 66k miles.

Moeman 09-17-2020 12:36 PM

Sorry to open older thread, but this is exactly what I need to know.
Going to replace my Stock rear shocks with Bilstein B6's.

Do I also need to get new shock mounts, or different shock mounts, or are the stock original ones good to go? Can't find a clear answer.

Car has 1.25" BMR lowering springs, Toe links, Trailing arms, and Cradle bushings, trailing arm bushings.

Car has 90K miles and is tracked 5 to 8 days a year.
TIA.

LCPLPunk 09-17-2020 04:21 PM

If you are gonna do it, do it right. When I did my fronts I thought I could get by and then when I pulled everything apart I realized my donut isolators were shot. I didn't have time to wait for parts so I had to put it all back together...and then the next week take it all back apart again when i got the parts in.

Moeman 09-17-2020 05:09 PM

Thanks for the reply.
Donuts on the Front struts ? kinda figured those would be shot after 5 years and 89K miles.

What about the rear? Is there a mount that needs to be replaced when going back in with something other than Regular FE4 SS shocks? It is not an 1LE or a ZL1. Have read way too many threads and have gotten confused. Sorry.

LCPLPunk 09-17-2020 05:23 PM

Yep, they are these round thingies in the front that look like donuts, mine were crumbling.

Honestly, I can't remember if I replaced the ones in the rear. If i did, I just went with the stock SS ones.

KillboyPowerhead 09-17-2020 05:52 PM

The rear shock mounts don't need to be replaced. A stiffer mount will provide more stability but also put a bit more stress on the shock shaft and potentially wear out the shock faster. If you're going with Bilstein's I'd keep the factory mounts as they were built for use with the factory mounts, or since you track the car and if you're willing to potentially sacrifice a bit of life out of the shocks maybe try the 1LE or even Z28 mounts.

olblue75 09-18-2020 03:49 AM

1LE mounts are the way to go they are a bit stiffer and if I remember correctly they don’t have voids like a SS Mount.