Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   Ported TB (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=568394)

cubamvp 01-16-2020 09:00 AM

Ported TB

I'm thinking of getting one for my Camaro. Which brand should I get? Will I get a check engine light if I have a tune on my car? It's 2013 v6.
Thank you.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

DSX_Camaro 01-16-2020 01:22 PM

No CEL. VMAX is what comes to mind for stock size. There's also an 80mm TB available if you search for it.

cubamvp 01-16-2020 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro (Post 10701319)
No CEL. VMAX is what comes to mind for stock size. There's also an 80mm TB available if you search for it.

Will I notice better response with the lag? Thank you for replying too.

DSX_Camaro 01-17-2020 10:54 AM

Throttle response is more a tune issue. Overkill tunes resolve it. Will you get better response though, probably.

SIM GhostrdrZ 01-17-2020 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cubamvp (Post 10701535)
Will I notice better response with the lag? Thank you for replying too.

I’ve got ‘14 lfx with 80mm tb, overkill tune since he’s the only one to take 80mm into account for tune. You can also get 80mm tb from will at overkill online or jacfab, I believe. I also have corsa exhaust, 80mm ported intake, k&n cai. I think I’ve done about as much as possible to retain reliability other than FI. I like how it responds and drives now. But some of the v6 issues come from trans and rearend gearing. I fixed the v6 issues by getting a Z28. Much better response now, although I’m keeping v6 for driver because it is very fun as well but I’ve replaced entire suspension.

Pearlj10 01-19-2020 02:22 PM

I’ve got similar mods as GhostrdrZ and noticed a bit of a decrease in low end acceleration when I switched to the 80 mm TB by Overkill. Mid/upper power did increase though. Then I switched to 3.91 gears in the back. Now, with that 80 mm Tb and gears, it seems like the absolute perfect combo for a terrorizing but reliable V6 Camaro. I agree with another knowledgeable post, I believe it was by Apex Motorsports, that a rear end upgrade is the biggest bang for the buck upgrade you can do on the V6s.

cubamvp 01-20-2020 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pearlj10 (Post 10704017)
I’ve got similar mods as GhostrdrZ and noticed a bit of a decrease in low end acceleration when I switched to the 80 mm TB by Overkill. Mid/upper power did increase though. Then I switched to 3.91 gears in the back. Now, with that 80 mm Tb and gears, it seems like the absolute perfect combo for a terrorizing but reliable V6 Camaro. I agree with another knowledgeable post, I believe it was by Apex Motorsports, that a rear end upgrade is the biggest bang for the buck upgrade you can do on the V6s.

How much was it for the end gear?

DSX_Camaro 01-21-2020 11:27 AM

3.91 is a lot of gear for either the manual or the automatic V6. If you're an automatic you'll need to change the rear hubs, axles, differential and rear driveshaft (I think, not sure on that one) to the SS equipment to be able to use the gears.

If you're a manual you can use all the same gear options as the SS.

cubamvp 01-21-2020 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro (Post 10705270)
3.91 is a lot of gear for either the manual or the automatic V6. If you're an automatic you'll need to change the rear hubs, axles, differential and rear driveshaft (I think, not sure on that one) to the SS equipment to be able to use the gears.

Ok. Thank you for the great information.

SIM GhostrdrZ 01-21-2020 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro (Post 10705270)

14’ V6 Manual has same axles as SS L99 and LS rearend from factory. Not sure about earlier V6 years.

DSX_Camaro 01-21-2020 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIM GhostrdrZ (Post 10705308)
14’ V6 Manual has same axles as SS L99 and LS rearend from factory. Not sure about earlier V6 years.

All manual V6s have SS rear ends. It was a big deal when Richmond? came out with 3.55 gears for the 7.6" in the automatic V6s.

SIM GhostrdrZ 01-21-2020 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro (Post 10705371)
All manual V6s have SS rear ends. It was a big deal when Richmond? came out with 3.55 gears for the 7.6" in the automatic V6s.

Yes sir. I see I put ls, meaning limited slip. Same as SS as you stated. Thank you

DSX_Camaro 01-21-2020 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIM GhostrdrZ (Post 10705377)
Yes sir. I see I put ls, meaning limited slip. Same as SS as you stated. Thank you

Gotcha. I thought you meant LS going along with the L99 as in same rear end as the L99 and LS3. My mistake. Good point though. Automatic V6 isn't limited slip, manual V6 and all V8s are. Important.

Pearlj10 01-21-2020 09:12 PM

I bought a used 3.91 diff, axles, and the back half of a SS driveshaft from a member here in AZ for a bit north of $1k. Then bought new hubs (got a steal at $112/pair) and seals to go with BMR poly diff mounts. The rear end is solid and eliminated the wiggle in the V6 diff with rubber bushings. I read a lot of members & vendors who said “that’s a lot of gear for an auto.” But for me, it’s perfect. I was slightly nervous that first would be too short upon first drive, but it’s not at all. I do think GM should’ve offered the 3.91s in a V6 so buyers who were potentially interested could see how they felt. No change in gas mileage, either, and I do launch it hard semi frequently.