Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Convertible Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Convertible Top Recall (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216202)

owensmat 04-12-2012 10:12 PM

Convertible Top Recall

Hello All,
First off, disclaimers here. I'm no expert, mechanic, engineer, or definitive source of knowlege here. I can only simply share the experience that I had today and hope that sharing the information helps. It may already be out there, but I didn't see it from tertiary searches. Anyway, took my car to the dealer today on a follow up from a recent visit where they were checking my first to second shift. While there last time, I mentioned that I'd heard a lot of problems with tops rubbing, etc. The service rep ordered some sort of shim parts to fix rubbing issues, etc. The parts were on order, so I had to bring my car back today for the repair. I hadn't noticed any particular issues yet, but the thought was that this would be a preventative fix. So today when I took my car in for the scheduled appt., the dealer said that over the past week, GM issued a recall on this issue and they have newly developed parts to put on the car that will eliminate the problem. Going back next week. Like I said, this may have been covered already, but if not, hopefully this news helps and perhaps someone more in the know can provide detail to this. The service rep was unable to describe what the recall repair entailed, outside of it being newly developed parts to fix the problem.

fshog 04-12-2012 10:49 PM

I was just informed of this recall as well this week. My dealer couldn't give any details either as it was just released to them as well????

pnyklr 04-13-2012 02:00 AM

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213980

-Funk

TiffBiff 04-13-2012 03:54 AM

owensmat ~ what dealership did you go to?

Texasbeachbum 04-13-2012 08:31 AM

Mine is in the shop right now getting the new exhaust system installed and the recall (not a TSB) on the top. I just picked up the car April 2.

woodj 04-13-2012 08:41 AM

So is this a recall or a TSB? Am I going to get a letter in the mail?

owensmat 04-13-2012 09:03 AM

My dealer specifically used the word, "recall". He used it twice. Now, of course, he could have been mistaken, but I am not in my recount of the discussion. He said that within the last week, GM issued a recall on the top issue. As I suggested, I'm not sure what this entails, but he did detail that it would require newly designed parts that were on order for the top. That's about all I have. If I get additional details, I'll let you know. I'm a little concerned, in that I haven't noticed any specific issues with my top yet, so the thinking is why fix it, but it sounds from many on here that it would be an inevitability to have the issues of rubbing, etc? The other piece of information here though is that I have hardly paid much attention to details of the top. I haven't even really looked at it very close, aside from checking the seal. Any way around it, hopefully this all turns into something positive for everyone.

'11 cyber grey vert 04-13-2012 09:10 AM

my vert is in for 5th bow replacement and my dealer told me as well specifically "recall" and it pertains to the tsb issued last week " convertible top enhancements".so it is really a tsb that applies to specific vin #'s and from what my dealer said is a recall on those vin #'s

so it looks like GM is starting to take more of a proactive approach rather than a reactive approach.

Baba 04-13-2012 10:05 AM

I just checked with my selling dealer's service dept. and they confirmed an "Open Recall" on the top which just came out last week. It sounded to me as thought it's the TSB.

The service advisor told me that it's a 2-stage appt.
1. Bring the car in and they'll inspect it and order any parts, if necessary.
2. Bring the car in and have the parts replaced / adjusted.

OrangeVert 04-13-2012 11:35 AM

Excellent. Waiting to bring mine in until I hear the results of others' experiences ... :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

tramtwo 04-13-2012 02:21 PM

Just check to make sure that the work is performed. Took mine in and when I picked it up the work had NOT been performed. You think they would have gotten a clue when I handed them the TSB up front. I am waiting for the service shop manager to call me. I am giving them one more bite at this apple and then I will unleash hell fire.

Chevrolet Customer Svc 04-13-2012 02:51 PM

The program that all of you are referring to is not a recall. It is a Customer Satisfaction Program. It is a little different from a recall in that a recall is a forced repair of the vehicles involved where as a Customer Satisfaction Program is an acknowledgement of an issue in certain vehicles and the voluntary fixing of said issue. This one being about the convertible tops is valid through April of 2014. I hope this is the final fix for this issue and none of you have problems ever again. I hope this helps to answer your questions and if you need to know if your vehicle is involved send me your VIN and I will respond as soon as I can.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service

woodj 04-13-2012 03:20 PM

2G1FK3DJ6B9173936

Thank you for the info.

Murray513 04-13-2012 04:52 PM

Texasbeachbum
What is the name of exhaust you putting on?