Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension / Brakes / Chassis (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Pfadt Engine Mounts (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115238)

GrinderSS 11-11-2010 08:45 PM

Pfadt Engine Mounts

Hey guys, if anyone has the Pfadt engine mounts can you tell me how much more vibration you feel inside the car if any? I was going to buy a set, but if it increases vibration then I'll pass. I'm particularly concerned about it since my engine has a bit of a lope to it.

Thanks in advance!

JDP Motorsports 11-11-2010 11:03 PM

The Pfadt mounts can add a very small amount of vibration at idle, other than that you wouldn't feel any ill effects. With your cam you'd think it would be rougher right, it actually limits the movement and keeps everything in place. I was blown away, same car with a stock cam created more vibration. I think it keeps the engine where it is supposed to be opposed to the soft OE mounts allowing the engine to flop around. The benefits far out weight the very slight negative...

Please feel free to call, email or PM me anytime with questions! :chevy:

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley

robertway 11-17-2010 02:37 PM

When I first put mine in I almost shat when I first started the car up, contacted Aaron Pfadt and he indicated they would quickly settle in and they did. There is a little bit more vibration at idle (and I mean very little) and if you lug it will punish you a bit more, the key is to get over the initial "holy crap it vibrates like hell" and give them a week or two to settle in. I definitely felt the improvement in how the car reacts to the throttle, no more mushy feeling. I put mine in very early on in preparation for supercharging which I haven't done yet but the mounts are ready for it :D

CRUSHER2SS 11-17-2010 07:53 PM

I have had my Pfadt mounts installed for almost 8 months now and they are fantastic. They have a bit more vibration in the beginning but after they settle in they are almost unnoticeable. I would not run without them now. Very good upgrade IMHO:headbang:

Apex Motorsports 11-17-2010 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertway (Post 2555327)
When I first put mine in I almost shat when I first started the car up, contacted Aaron Pfadt and he indicated they would quickly settle in and they did. There is a little bit more vibration at idle (and I mean very little) and if you lug it will punish you a bit more, the key is to get over the initial "holy crap it vibrates like hell" and give them a week or two to settle in. I definitely felt the improvement in how the car reacts to the throttle, no more mushy feeling. I put mine in very early on in preparation for supercharging which I haven't done yet but the mounts are ready for it :D

:laugh: This is a very good description of what to expect.

Capthowdy 11-17-2010 08:06 PM

Do they really settle in? or do you just get used to it.......they are solid correct?

Apex Motorsports 11-18-2010 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capthowdy (Post 2556274)
Do they really settle in? or do you just get used to it.......they are solid correct?

Yes. They are not completely solid, they utilize a black "hat style" polyurethane bushing to isolate the connection between the top and bottom main components. If they were completely solid they would be too much for a street car but these are very street-able, just more connected.

http://www.pfadtracing.com/photos/da...t_exp_logo.JPG

robertway 11-18-2010 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capthowdy (Post 2556274)

The definitely settle in as APEX points out they are not totally solid and the bushing probably acts more to "give a little" and as a damper but I am no engineer so that is a layman's opinion. When they first went in the vibration was very unsettling for me and I thought there was no way in hell I could leave them in there as it wasn't something I thought I could get used to. I even went ahead and pulled them out and put the stock mounts back in until I conversed with Aaron and he indicated to give them some time so I put them back in and have never looked back. The upside is I have the mount swap process down to about 25 minutes from wheels up to wheels down I've had some much practice :D

spacecowby 11-18-2010 09:02 AM

These come with the drag racing package, but what is the benefit of changing the mounts. I thought they would hold the engine in place more, especially cammed ones, but from what I'm reading they actually vibrate more. Or am I wrong?

Apex Motorsports 11-18-2010 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacecowby (Post 2557577)
These come with the drag racing package, but what is the benefit of changing the mounts. I thought they would hold the engine in place more, especially cammed ones, but from what I'm reading they actually vibrate more. Or am I wrong?

The engine is held in place, therefore, more vi ration is transmitted into the chassis and felt by the driver. The major benefits improved throttle response and reduced parasitic power loss but it also helps reduce the likelihood of breaking some things. For high power cars these are a must as the soft stock mounts will wear out quickly.

Outlaw77 11-18-2010 06:17 PM

How fast do the stock motor mounts wear out? I'm looking at this mod as well.

GrinderSS 11-18-2010 07:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have not installed mine yet, but I'm going to use a nifty little app for my iPhone that measures vibration to compare before and after. Here is the stock measurement from not running through startup and idle.

*** UPDATE ***
I just finished installing the mounts and all I can say is :yikes:. Not only is the vibration throughout the car intense but there is more engine noise inside the cabin. I find it hard to believe these are going to settle in to the extent that they are bearable; the feel of the car went to hell with these mounts.

Here is the second vibration measurement graph, you can see the vibration magnitude is approx. 4x higher :yikes:

Apex Motorsports 11-18-2010 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outlaw77 (Post 2559445)
How fast do the stock motor mounts wear out? I'm looking at this mod as well.

For the average Camaro you will not have to worry about it anytime soon. For the guys making serious power it is more of a concern.

Apex Motorsports 11-18-2010 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrinderSS (Post 2559617)
I have not installed mine yet, but I'm going to use a nifty little app for my iPhone that measures vibration to compare before and after. I'll post the results.

That will be interesting. Be sure to repeat it after a few weeks.