Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   L99 discussion (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5181)

ralniv 07-22-2008 02:12 AM

Does anyone know if the AFM engines are mod-friendly? Will the engine computer barf if you improve engine breathing (.e.g. intake, exhaust or cam swap).

Mindz 07-22-2008 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grape Ape (Post 94211)
The L76’s deact lifters are not able to absorb as much lift as the LS2’s stock cam has. So if you installed a hotter cam the valves still would open slightly when the cam hit max lift and confuse the computer.

I am expecting someone to start offering hot cams rocker packages for these motors soon that would bump the valve lift up to whatever the valve spring and piston clearance allow.

I also expect the power to be the same for stick and autos with the next generation of small blocks since they should be designed for AFM.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ralniv
Does anyone know if the AFM engines are mod-friendly? Will the engine computer barf if you improve engine breathing (.e.g. intake, exhaust or cam swap).

I think this post answered it.

AirGoya 07-22-2008 04:56 PM

^
So they can be mod friendly if you know how to tune the computer to handle it?

camaro1 07-22-2008 07:02 PM

there will be a way to de-activate the afm and mod for whatever cam you want,

just look at alll the new trucks, gm and dodge that use dod/afm, the hand held tuners already support turning the dod/afm off

2K05GT 07-22-2008 07:51 PM

The V8-equipped Camaro SS delivers better numbers across the board. Chevy's Camaro SS outfitted with the 422-hp 6.2-liter LS3 V8 six-speed manual hits 60 mph in 4.9 seconds and runs a 13.4-second quarter-mile at 108 mph according to Oppenheiser. Strangely enough, Oppenheiser also claims that the automatic-equipped SS Camaro, which is rated at 400 hp, runs from zero to 60 mph in just 4.6 seconds and through the quarter-mile in 13.3 seconds. "We optimized the shift points," he said.

Whoo hooo the Auto will be faster than the Manual :thumbup:
Now it just needs to go on a diet. 3914lbs :mad0260:

fastball 07-22-2008 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2K05GT (Post 97131)
"We optimized the shift points,"

Any skilled manual transmission driver will also optimize their shift points :D

I guarantee you, I will go up against an automatic SS with my manual, and beat the automatic off the line and in the quarter each and every time.

If you know how and when to shift (the how is almost more important than the when), you can beat the fastest shifting automatics in the world (with the exception of F1 transmissions, which aren't really automatics anyway).

2K05GT 07-22-2008 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastball (Post 97147)

I guarantee you, I will go up against an automatic SS with my manual, and beat the automatic off the line and in the quarter each and every time.

If you know how and when to shift (the how is almost more important than the when), you can beat the fastest shifting automatics in the world (with the exception of F1 transmissions, which aren't really automatics anyway).

Well after you pratice for a while , But I will bet if we both bought our cars at the same time and left the dealer I would win for a week or so.

fastball 07-22-2008 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2K05GT (Post 97188)
Well after you pratice for a while , But I will bet if we both bought our cars at the same time and left the dealer I would win for a week or so.

I've been driving stick since I was 15. So that's 16 solid years of driving nothing but stick (okay, occasionally I had to drive my Mom's LeSabre or Delta 88 when I still lived at home 10 years ago), and I've burned out only 1 clutch, at that clutch had 167,000 miles on it. All of them mine.

1 minute behind the seat of the Camaro and I'll have it figured out. Clutch take up point, gear pattern and throw, sweet spot of the engine.

2K05GT 07-22-2008 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastball (Post 97235)
I've been driving stick since I was 15. So that's 16 solid years of driving nothing but stick (okay, occasionally I had to drive my Mom's LeSabre or Delta 88 when I still lived at home 10 years ago), and I've burned out only 1 clutch, at that clutch had 167,000 miles on it. All of them mine.

1 minute behind the seat of the Camaro and I'll have it figured out. Clutch take up point, gear pattern and throw, sweet spot of the engine.

I have been driving a stick for 30 years, I raced Pro Stock in the early 80's
and each car is different beleive me it will take time to get used to a setup.

Check out www.rangeracceleration.com you never can have too much practice

Check out my Sig, Stock Motor, Stock Auto Tranny Mustang GT with just Bolt-ons
running 12.41 @ 109 these new auto trannys are freaking fast.

fastball 07-22-2008 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2K05GT (Post 97276)
I have been driving a stick for 30 years, I raced Pro Stock in the early 80's
and each car is different beleive me it will take time to get used to a setup.

Check out www.rangeracceleration.com you never can have too much practice

Check out my Sig, Stock Motor, Stock Auto Tranny Mustang GT with just Bolt-ons
running 12.41 @ 109 these new auto trannys are freaking fast.

You have a few years of experience on me, so I trust you now ;)

Sorry, I didn't know who you were at first, and thus thought you might be someone just saying stuff without much stick shift experience.

I know the launch control helps. But will the auto trans with the L99 hold each gear to redline? And how about downshifting 2 gears, say from 4th to second? There has to be SOME hesitation or lag in throttle response, or else you'd have tiny pinions and hydraulic fluid all over the street.

Jak 07-24-2008 01:15 PM

Hey. Anybody think about moving this thread up with the other engines (L76, LS3) since now we know what the Camaro's getting.

Mr. Wyndham 07-24-2008 01:22 PM

I was actually thinking about tearing those one's down.
There might be something big coming down the pike as far as Camaro information here on the site is concerned...and it would make those stickies obsolete...;)

baileyrx 07-24-2008 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 99370)
I was actually thinking about tearing those one's down.
There might be something big coming down the pike as far as Camaro information here on the site is concerned...and it would make those stickies obsolete...;)

tease
:drool:

rayainsw 07-24-2008 01:47 PM

accel. manual vs automatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastball (Post 97147)

One other consideration is gearing.
The 6L80 ( as in my Corvette ) has a rather wide ratio spread - and a fairly aggressive first gear:

trans ratios
manual TR6060
first gear 3.01
final drive 3.45
overall 10.3845

autom 6L80
first gear 4.03
final drive 3.27
overall 13.1781

- Ray
Not a drag racer - but addicted to acceleration...