Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Stupid Y-pipe.... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8189)

nseldy 10-14-2008 09:29 AM

Stupid Y-pipe....

I came across some of the factory performance options and noticed they offered a factory cat-back exhaust. Not sure if the picture I saw was accurate but it looked like a stupid Y-pipe! :cry:Similiar to what came on the 3rd and 4th gen F-bodies! This is a brand new car with the newest technology! why would it have a Y-pipe!!? I know the performance of a large Y-pipe is similiar to true-duals but IMO they sound like shit!! Sorry for the bitchfest but, my current LS1 has true duals with X-pipe and I would never go back to a shitty Y-pipe. It should have true duals from the factory, just like the Corvette. Can anybody validate whether or not it does in fact have a Y-Pipe? Thx

ZZcamaro 10-14-2008 09:53 AM

I think the one you say was for the V6...
Look for the thread" I saw one, sat in one, ordered one"
In there you will see a lot of pictures, one of which shows under the car and what looks to be a X-pipe!!!! I think you will be much happier after you see those pictures.

CamaroSpike23 10-14-2008 10:38 AM

whats wrong with a y-pipe? im running one right now. and honestly depending on the power you are pushing, true duals w/x-pipe is almost overkill. however the size of the exhaust comes to play. a 3" y-pipe will out flow a 2.5" true dual setup. but not by much.

you gotta realize that this car is not just for the enthusiast. its for everyone. and not everyone wants a true dual setup.

not to mention for the v-6... true duals dont make it sound like a v-8, neither does a y-pipe, but still...lol

454lsxss 10-14-2008 01:39 PM

The Camaro v6 and v8 will both have x-pipes. If you ask me that was just a pic they slapped on there without thinking too much about it. I thought the same thing for a while though, and then decided I'm probably going with Bassani or Kooks with Spintech anyways. Usually, not always...but usually, manufacturer exhaust systems aren't the best out there, and still close to the same price. Same for Intake. But I WILL be gettin' the Hurst 6spd

nseldy 10-14-2008 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZZcamaro (Post 157794)
In there you will see a lot of pictures, one of which shows under the car and what looks to be a X-pipe!!!! I think you will be much happier after you see those pictures.

whew thats good to hear!! THX:thumbup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 (Post 157837)
whats wrong with a y-pipe? im running one right now. and honestly depending on the power you are pushing, true duals w/x-pipe is almost overkill. however the size of the exhaust comes to play. a 3" y-pipe will out flow a 2.5" true dual setup. but not by much.
you gotta realize that this car is not just for the enthusiast. its for everyone. and not everyone wants a true dual setup.not to mention for the v-6... true duals dont make it sound like a v-8, neither does a y-pipe, but still...lol

Y-pipes aren't all that bad, but they not gonna increase performance over a properly sized true-dual set up. All the Vettes have true duals, that should speak for itself. The main thing i don't like with Y-pipe is sound. IMO true-duals just sound better, buts thats just my opinion. To each his own;)

headpunter 10-14-2008 04:34 PM

arent h pipes supposedly better?

linkwpc 10-14-2008 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by headpunter (Post 158293)
arent h pipes supposedly better?

I think the X pipe makes more power but the H, sounds "better" IMO. My friend had a H on his mustang and it sounded loud and great. But then he added an X and some of the great sound changed and its not a loud as it was before.

nseldy 10-15-2008 10:00 AM

I dont' care if it's X or H pipe.....just not a Y pipe

kanys 10-15-2008 10:07 AM

I hope its not a y-pipe, that would be ok, but I much prefer X. H would be cool to but I just don't think the majority of buyers want their car to be that loud.

ljustin293 10-15-2008 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZZcamaro (Post 157794)

hey...that's my thread!!:happyanim:

96CAMaro 10-16-2008 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nseldy (Post 159462)
I dont' care if it's X or H pipe.....just not a Y pipe

So you wouldn't mind a U pipe? :laugh: I'm joking.

radz28 10-16-2008 09:06 AM

I believe it's been said that that was just a generic image they had; not representative of the actual catback. If you compare images of the exhaust (well, the chassis) there's not really a practical way for that catback to be installed on the car. My point - that image was generic and we'll be getting true dual exhuast with an X-pipe; that's at least what I've personally put together. Everything up to now points to that, anyways...

playhard67 10-16-2008 09:08 AM

Yes, JohnnyCamaro said that was just some pic they had. It is an X pipe.

radz28 10-16-2008 09:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the best image I can find of the exhaust that's been released and it seems clear to me that when comparing this image with others that have been posted here that the catback on GM's accessory board is probably not representative. Dual exhaust with an X-pipe (and this is on the V6 model) :w00t::thumbup::cool: