Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Battery keeps draining?? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=575878)

Ernie70 05-22-2020 08:14 PM

Battery keeps draining??

So , to back up a bit . back in December , I had vacation for 2 weeks and the car just sat. I went to start it and it was weak , so I jumped it no problem. Just chalked it up to it sitting and the cool weather. Fast forward to the quarantine days. I got laid off both my jobs ( I work in live and corp. production ) back in March , so she sits most of the time. I have noticed a pattern in the battery. If she sits for about 2 days , it is to the point of almost not starting, but it does. The battery is only about a year old , is an Interstate and wasn't cheap. Is there a constant drain when she sits , or do I have a fluke of a bad battery not even 2 years old ? She is bone stock with no aftermarket stereo or alarm . I have never had a battery go south for just sitting for 2 to 3 days. So a little confounded.

Zspoiler 05-22-2020 09:12 PM

I have a "loaded" 1981 El Camino that did the same thing .And it turned out that I had a short in my power seat that drained the battery . So I put the seat in the position I wanted and disconnected .until I have time to change my carpet .This may not be whats wrong but its a start .Good luck to you.

PeteD 05-23-2020 12:10 AM

Well, if you bought it new, the battery should have a warranty. Have it checked and then replaced. if the battery is good then you will have to do a search for the power draw

acutron42 05-23-2020 06:42 AM

I would check the battery ground strap in the trunk if you have not already.

Rock-It Man 05-23-2020 05:48 PM

Even if your battery is new, you may not be driving enough to keep it charged. So, if possible, hook it up to a battery tender until your schedule allows more driving.

So many places and activities are shut down that long joy rides are one of the few things we can do. So go for some long rides.

Silveradoss573 05-23-2020 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock-It Man (Post 10796291)
Even if your battery is new, you may not be driving enough to keep it charged. So, if possible, hook it up to a battery tender until your schedule allows more driving.

So many places and activities are shut down that long joy rides are one of the few things we can do. So go for some long rides.

Mine drops to 50% after 2 weeks while sitting. I have to keep a battery tinder on it otherwise. Not sure if it's a battery issue or not? Been this way since I bought it almost 2 years ago.

Avenging Orange 05-23-2020 07:52 PM

Mine sits all winter and fires up at spring. Go figure.

davidscamaro 05-23-2020 09:14 PM

Ive had very bad luck with interstate batterys , the mega tron 2 is junk in my experience

davidscamaro 05-23-2020 09:15 PM

Must of replaced 3 in my c4 over two years. Was not impressed

Greenhornet2 05-24-2020 06:15 AM

Perform a parasitic draw test and that will tell you if you have a draw while it's sitting. Disconnect the negative battery terminal, place a meter between the battery terminal and the now disconnected battery cable set to milliamps. The will always be some draw but if it's high then start pulling fuses and see if one makes the draw drop significantly then you know where to look. 2 days shouldn't draw down a battery much. You can also have the battery load tested it is possible it is a garbage battery. My car is on the original battery i believe and spend most of its like in storage, doesn't get driven in the winter and i've only had to charge it a couple times.

Ernie70 06-04-2020 10:40 AM

Thanks for all the advice guys! Going to try all your ideas to pin point the issue .

Camaro__ss 06-05-2020 07:56 AM

My 2005 corvette had this problem. Always needed a battery tender I could never figure it out. I think it was a a bad BCM. I traded it, that solved it for me.

RonHolz 12-27-2020 07:23 PM

I have just bought a 2017 Camaro SS 6.2 Auto 8 speed. the battery went dead after sitting for 3 days, flat dead ,door opener would not work even. So I want to install the best battery I can get ? and I have a small batt. jumper I carry in my truck it has a plug in for the cigg lighter or I guess that would be a 12 Volt charging plug in now that is on the ft right of council, will that work to plug in my 12 Volt jumper to hold all my settings or should I take it to a shop to have the new battery installed, I do not want to fry anything. Does that Volt meter on the dash work, does that tell me the batter volts ? or charging volts ?

Thank you, I'm 73 and just finished a long battle with cancer and this has limited me to what I can lift or do now. the Camaro is like new with 13,000 miles. I always wanted one so I bought it for my get well present,LOL
Thank You for any help, the old grunt in WA. State.

Camaro__ss 12-28-2020 09:27 AM

Take the car back to the dealer. It’s a lemon