Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   USA - California (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   SMOGGING PROBLEM NEW ZL11LE (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=547650)

fredz 02-06-2019 05:32 PM

SMOGGING PROBLEM NEW ZL11LE

Help!! I have a brand new 2018 zl1 and purchased in Ariz , shipped here, drove 550 miles and tried to day to get smogged and not able. both people plugged in their reader and both showed O2 sensor not ok. I doubt and so does everyone else, sensor Is bad. I was sent the 8 steps to drive cycle the car, which seems more hokus pokus. I have had many new cars, one Porsche had same issues and Porsche reset something so it worked. I cannot get any other help and extremely frustrated. Plus, the drive cycle suggested is not going to work here in Hermosa beach. No where can you drive for 5 minutes consistent at 55mph. Along with the other steps it is a crap shoot if those can be accomplished. Other than moving out of town, there must be some way .
Help is appreciated.
fredz

SynergyGreenSS 02-06-2019 06:16 PM

The car has no modifications at all? If not, I would think the only possibility is that a sensor is bad as you should have no problem smogging a new stock car

Vegas Bound 02-06-2019 06:17 PM

Try the 405 at 3AM.

fredz 02-06-2019 07:56 PM

yeah, right!

Vegas Bound 02-06-2019 08:52 PM

In all seriousness, it's new, take it to a dealership. Assuming it is stock, of course.

John_C 02-06-2019 09:44 PM

It's covered under warranty, so take it back to the dealership.

Otherwise, replace the bad O2 sensor and then reset the PCM with a OBD 2 scanner.

2SSRS@Gen5diy 02-07-2019 08:10 AM

Did you buy the car with out checking if it conforms with CA emissions? if you did not buy a CA car that my be your problum.

fredz 02-07-2019 01:37 PM

just FYI for anyone interested in how this is going and how it is going to end up. I have done everything feasible to get this resolved. Note to all: The car and the o2 sensor IS COVERED by waranty. But the process of making it work and pass is NOT. Since indicators show it is working it is not going to be handled by any dealer, period! I have one calling GM to see if there is anything THEY can provide to help. Other than that, i have to have my wrencher to the drive cycle. Silly but true. I hope this helps someone out there. All I can provide is what continues to come back as answers to the problem.
If Ca bought, no problem if from dealer...only because it was Ca purchased. Being from Ariz to CA caused the need to smog. THAT is the problem because NOW it is on the owner. Ca has a new or somewhat new requirement to pass and it is the bane of everyone. Good news..........I am having Flowmaster axleback exhaust with Scavenger and x pipe installed once I pass. and the car is definitly a challenge to stay off the go pedal.
Thank you all for the assistance and suggestions and help. This is truly a great place for help.
fred z

John_C 02-07-2019 03:24 PM

If you recently replaced it, just keep driving it until it eliminates the permanent code and you'll be fine.

fredz 02-07-2019 03:31 PM

not replaced as doesn't seem to need to be. I will solve this one way or another, but to be fair, yet logical.........I appreciate Ca trying to keep the rules tight, but not so tight that new cars from anywhere have to be tested...especially when it says...50 state emission acceptable.

So Cal Camaro 03-18-2019 12:30 PM

I had the same issue with a Corvette that would show not ready for Smog, and I had to cycle it through their steps, which didn't seem to work. After an event driving back from Vegas, when got back, it suddenly showed clear, I was driving with a OBDII reader connected to an App. It will clear, just never as fast as we want.

scv_guy 03-19-2019 05:18 PM

In order for the Readiness code to read "OK" assuming the O2 sensor is good you must complete a drive cycle normally about 50 miles or so. Once complete the readiness will reset and you should be good.
If that dose not work PM me.