Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Change the stock Backup/Reverse light bulbs to LED's (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229051)

LoPerformance Motorsports 06-06-2012 09:42 PM

Change the stock Backup/Reverse light bulbs to LED's

3 Attachment(s)
First let me say that this is not to take away from any venders on this site!!! This is just a DIY project that I thought worked out well for me. If yo want to change the look of your reverse lights. I know these are nothing like the ones that company's like AAC...ect,sells.

I was putting in my Rapid Fire taillights and decided to try a bulb change on the reverse lights. After taking a look, the bulb twists out just like any other bulb socket does.

I had a few LED/SMD lights, that are the same as a 194,168...ect bulb. So, I took the white base off it and had the leads exposed. After looking at the stock bulb, I started pulling the bulb out of the bulb socket. In the pics you will see that the bulbs are the same dia/length. worked the bulb leads into the socket, with it plugged to the wiring harness, worked like a charm. I now have brighter and whiter lights than come stock. The LED's had 5 SMD's per blub. I have a couple of light's ordered with 25 SMD's. I plan on changing to these after they come in. Just thought someone out there may want to do this.

Take note, you have to have the bulb socket plugged into the wiring harness, the leads on the LED/SMD bolb are small and bend easy. But, will set in the same base area as the stock bulb. I did put a small spot or two of silicone on the base of the socket where the light snaps in. Just to make sure it was secure. Good Luck!!:thumbup:

LoPerformance Motorsports 06-06-2012 09:50 PM

4 Attachment(s)
more pics

BlackIce1066 06-06-2012 09:50 PM

Hmmmmm very interesting. Nice job. :thumbup:

I see what you did now.

LoPerformance Motorsports 06-06-2012 09:55 PM

I found the on ebay, but some of the venders here may have LED's that will work. The Japan LED's are junk. German made ones are the best!!! Or USA brands,for sure.

BlackIce1066 06-07-2012 09:58 AM

I just realized I have a couple of LED's that were going to be for my license plate. I think I will have to try this.

LoPerformance Motorsports 06-07-2012 10:06 AM

Just remember that LED's are lead sensitive.

Sir Nuke 06-07-2012 10:51 AM

LoPerformance.....just a suggestion for the future, make sure the pictures you have taken are in focus and people can actually see the detail you are trying to show them. The top and the last 2 are so blurry you might as well delete them. I'm just sayin.....

Agent WD-40 06-07-2012 11:42 AM

Cool idea. How does the light output compare to stock?

Sir Nuke 06-07-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent WD-40 (Post 5088408)
Cool idea. How does the light output compare to stock?

looking at the pictures he posted, his upgrade shows they put out a LOT more light. picture #2 is stock, Pic #3 is the upgrade.

OldJedi 06-07-2012 01:02 PM

Is there a commercially made LED bulb that would be an exact replacement for the factory bulb without having to dissect the factory bulb holder?

LoPerformance Motorsports 06-07-2012 05:01 PM

I checked and there is no listing for a bulb. Oreilly's, autozone,...ect.

iKeablr 06-07-2012 05:13 PM

Go to eBay, you'll definitely find some there. For cheap too

LoPerformance Motorsports 06-07-2012 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoPerformance Motorsports (Post 5090336)
I checked and there is no listing for a bulb. Oreilly's, autozone,...ect.

(factory replacement bulbs) Yes there all kinds of LED's to chose from out there!!!

LanMan08 06-09-2012 11:07 PM

did you have to take the entire bumper off to replace these?