Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Putting stripes on the car too early (before paint cured)? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22008)

Indpowr 05-08-2009 07:06 PM

Putting stripes on the car too early (before paint cured)?

Does anyone that is getting stripes worry that there paint has not fully cured? People always say to wait a few months after a paint job and or a new car to wax because the paint has not fully cured.

Curious because we also have a CGM coming with black stripes..

Hylton 05-08-2009 07:08 PM

Nope. They've been doing it for 30 years so pretty sure we are good.

Lovestanda 05-08-2009 07:08 PM

Yeah but

I thought that too. But, the paint's under the clear coat so it's protected right??? :iono:

GMtothecore 05-08-2009 07:10 PM

It's all good....my faith's in GM on this one

Hylton 05-08-2009 07:10 PM

The clearcoat is also paint.

Lovestanda 05-08-2009 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hylton (Post 470323)
The clearcoat is also paint.

didn't know---thanks:)

bolteon593 05-08-2009 07:29 PM

these days, it does not take several months for paint to cure. several hours in the right conditions.

HuJass 05-08-2009 08:10 PM

The paint the factory applies does not have to cure.
First off, it's a different mixture than what a body shop uses. I think there is no catalyst in the factory's paint.
Secondly, it's baked at like 375 degrees for a few hours. It's totally cured by the time it comes out of the oven.

Here's a neat tidbit. Most cars don't come out perfect after they've been painted at the factory. There can be foreign material trapped in it, or maybe water or oil dripped onto the surface. The small imperfections can be fixed on one of the inspection decks in the paint shop. Slightly larger paint errors can be repaired in the paint department on a secondary line.
And if there are too many problems with the paint, they send it right back to the booth. No sanding, no prep (other than tacking it off), no nothing. They just spray right over the existing paint.
They get 3 tries to get good results. If they can't get it right, the shell is stripped of anything useful (doors, fender, etc) and the shell is scrapped.
That's how my plant works. I don't know about GM. They'll probably come on here and deny it.

Indpowr 05-08-2009 08:17 PM

Very interesting. I had a FULLY custom paint job and it was nuts but I was told not to wax it for a few months.

Good info to know on a new car.

ljustin293 05-08-2009 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HuJass (Post 470507)
First off, it's a different mixture than what a body shop uses. I think there is no catalyst in the factory's paint.
Secondly, it's baked at like 375 degrees for a few hours. It's totally cured by the time it comes out of the oven.

Here's a neat tidbit. Most cars don't come out perfect after they've been painted at the factory. There can be foreign material trapped in it, or maybe water or oil dripped onto the surface. The small imperfections can be fixed on one of the inspection decks in the paint shop. Slightly larger paint errors can be repaired in the paint department on a secondary line.
And if there are too many problems with the paint, they send it right back to the booth. No sanding, no prep (other than tacking it off), no nothing. They just spray right over the existing paint.
They get 3 tries to get good results. If they can't get it right, the shell is stripped of anything useful (doors, fender, etc) and the shell is scrapped.
That's how my plant works. I don't know about GM. They'll probably come on here and deny it.

very interesting~

King Mouse 05-08-2009 08:24 PM

No catalyst in the clear? Really? I would like to hear confirmation of this. Not saying you are wrong. As a painter, I am just curious.

lovecheese 05-08-2009 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HuJass (Post 470507)

What if they are like my SI and have problems with paint all over the car? Runs in it, specks of dirt under the clearcoat. 70 days in the shop ftw. Now to wait :(

HuJass 05-09-2009 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovecheese (Post 470551)
What if they are like my SI and have problems with paint all over the car? Runs in it, specks of dirt under the clearcoat. 70 days in the shop ftw. Now to wait :(

Was yours bad from the factory?

FirstLSK 05-09-2009 10:05 PM

This is true. Factory paint is nothing even close to what they use in a paint shop. No catalyst and most is waterborne these days. They bake at 450. Paint shops can't do the same because the interior and electronics would fry.

SO, absolutely no concerns about the factory paint "out-gassing" under the vinyl stripes and you can wash, wax, seal, etc. as soon as you get it. For the guys that are getting their stripes painted on, you need to wait about 2 months before waxing / sealing. The body shop paint must have time to fully cure and out-gas. Warm days and sunshine accelerate that process.