Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   CTS-V Engine is ACTUALLY 6.2L Supercharged! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1037)

LSxcellent 06-11-2007 08:53 PM

CTS-V Engine is ACTUALLY 6.2L Supercharged!

As I had guessed... Motortrend.com is now correcting itself and posting what we have talked about at length:

"UPDATE: Our sources have just confirmed that the supercharged V-8 that will power the 2009 Corvette SS/Z07/Blue Devil and the supercharged V-8 that will power the '09 Cadillac CTS-v will be 6.2 liters, not the 7.0-liter as we reported in our July issue. It makes sense in that General Motors was getting the horsepower, but not the torque it wanted from the 427.6 cubic-inch engine. Despite the engine difference, we continue to expect the CTS-v to come with some 600-horsepower when it arrives.
"

NOW everything is coming together... it makes waaay more sense. They will def. stick this engine in the new Camaro Z28 (IMHO), so we can hope for BIG things!

~LSx

Mindz 06-11-2007 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSxcellent (Post 13127)
NOW everything is coming together... it makes waaay more sense. They will def. stick this engine in the new Camaro SS (IMHO), so we can hope for BIG things!

~LSx

Fixed. :thumbsup:

Mr. Wyndham 06-11-2007 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSxcellent (Post 13127)
As I had guessed... Motortrend.com is now correcting itself and posting what we have talked about at length:

"UPDATE: Our sources have just confirmed that the supercharged V-8 that will power the 2009 Corvette SS/Z07/Blue Devil and the supercharged V-8 that will power the '09 Cadillac CTS-v will be 6.2 liters, not the 7.0-liter as we reported in our July issue. It makes sense in that General Motors was getting the horsepower, but not the torque it wanted from the 427.6 cubic-inch engine. Despite the engine difference, we continue to expect the CTS-v to come with some 600-horsepower when it arrives.
"

NOW everything is coming together... it makes waaay more sense. They will def. stick this engine in the new Camaro Z28 (IMHO), so we can hope for BIG things!

~LSx

I don't follow...How can GM be putting the top engine of the biggest-baddest Corvette ever built in the Camaro?...I can't see it...

selil 06-11-2007 10:05 PM

Actually GM only makes one engine. They just tune the engine for MPG or HP through the computer settings. A few computer tweaks and a Impala can do 0-60 in 2.3 seconds...

Really!

LSxcellent 06-12-2007 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by selil (Post 13135)
Actually GM only makes one engine. They just tune the engine for MPG or HP through the computer settings. A few computer tweaks and a Impala can do 0-60 in 2.3 seconds...

Really!

:bs:

Um... no it can't. I don't care what you say, that car (FWD!) cannot do 0-60 in 2.3 seconds. You could add a freakin' JATO rocket to the back, and it STILL won't do that.

~LSx

Mr. Wyndham 06-12-2007 10:07 AM

If you say so... one engine...alright I guess.

Silverado 06-12-2007 10:19 AM

Quote:

Really!

Really? I see you drive an Avalanche....do you suppose the guy down the street driving a Cobalt has the same engine as yours, just tuned for MPG rather than HP?

How about the Vette on the other block? Same engine as yours just tuned for....oh wait, the Vette has more HP and more MPG than your Avalanche. But I thought they used the same engine, just tuned for HP or MPG.

Come on man, did you really just say that with a straight face? Please tell us you were joking.

Mr. Wyndham 06-12-2007 10:28 AM

I hate to gang up on you, man. But I agree. GM makes multiple engines, but I'll give you this: Most of them share similarities. That's it!

Eisenhower 06-12-2007 10:29 AM

GM makes a slew of engines. From that tiny wind-up in the Chevy Aveo to commercial fleet trucks.

Mr. Wyndham 06-12-2007 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eisenhower (Post 13175)
GM makes a slew of engines. From that tiny wind-up in the Chevy Aveo to commercial fleet trucks.

:laughabove::laughabove::laughabove::laughabove:i like that!! Wind up, Haha!

TAG UR IT 06-12-2007 10:54 AM

I was going to say something too. But, I knew he just couldn't be serious. I took it as being fesicious (spelling right?). Because in that case, I think I'd just go get my 4th Gen tuned so I could pump out the Z06's 505hp and I'd say screw getting a new car. I've got everything right here! Yeah...I'm pretty sure he's joking.

Eisenhower 06-12-2007 12:54 PM

Here's what I'm hoping for... 505+ hp Z -- 600 hp SS.

To the best of my knowledge, in the past GM has kept the Camaro & Trans Am's up to par with it's line of high-end Caddy's (HP wise). For example, Cadillac's NorthStar engine having 300 hp while regular z28's, firehawks & ss's have had 300+.

Maybe it'll never happen but I'm hoping that with Cadillacs involvement, the SS Camaro will get a high-end upgrade. Even if it's a Limited Edition like what Ford's doing with the Shelby GT500.

3whiterag 06-12-2007 02:54 PM

Quote:

Really!

In my area of the plant, GM Powertrain St. Catharines, we make the LS2, LS3, LS4, LH6, LSA and that is just the Aluminum blocks. There is also the Cast Iron blocks and engines and the high feature V6 (HFV6) block machining and assembly area. So, in my books, just in our plant alone, that is more than one engine! :)
I guess if we are not sure about what we are saying, then it is best left unsaid! Maybe he was thinking of toyota who puts the same engine in all their cars from the premium priced lexus on down. But then again, maybe you just pulled one over on us! :D

EllwynX 06-12-2007 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 13176)
:laughabove::laughabove::laughabove::laughabove:i like that!! Wind up, Haha!

No No No It's 102 Hamsters all running around a wheel!!! (The 103rd Hamster is set aside to make the silly chirp when you lock the doors/set the alarm.)

I've called my Aveo the Hamstermobile for months...