Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Problem with 2012 V6 Transmission (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211490)

kalo 03-23-2012 11:45 AM

Problem with 2012 V6 Transmission

For the past few days I've been experiencing a little hesitation when slowly accelerating from a dead stop (I have an automatic). I also started to hear some disturbing sounds; it almost sounded like a grinding or scraping noise. At first I thought that maybe one of my brakes wasn't releasing all the way or something. I took it in to the dealership and it turns out that there was in fact something wrong with the transmission (they didn't explain what exactly was wrong though). My Camaro is a 2012, I just bought it 2 months ago and it only has 2500 miles on it...How could the transmission have problems? Pretty ridiculous. Anyway, they ended up ordering me a new transmission and it should be here in 5 days. If anyone else runs into this problem, make sure they call GM and make them order an entire new transmission. Don't let them try to repair it. Has anyone else had this issue?

Chevrolet Customer Svc 03-23-2012 12:31 PM

I'm sorry to hear about this kalo. This is an odd situation. I hope this new transmission is what fixes your problem and you can get back to enjoying your vehicle. Let us know how things go for you with your dealer.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service

mikeb513 03-28-2012 05:08 PM

I just took my 2012 in today because it has been doing a stutter when changing gears. They said it was the transmission and the transmission workers said they've had similar case. I have to take it back in Tuesday so they can check it in more depth. I'll be sure to update on what the true problem is. Car only has 6300 miles on it also.

Chevrolet Customer Svc 03-29-2012 08:59 AM

Thanks for the update mike. I hope it's a quick stay at the dealer for your Camaro. If anything goes wrong let me know and I'll do what I can to help you.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service

2010SLVRBULIT 03-29-2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalo (Post 4693309)
For the past few days I've been experiencing a little hesitation when slowly accelerating from a dead stop (I have an automatic). I also started to hear some disturbing sounds; it almost sounded like a grinding or scraping noise. At first I thought that maybe one of my brakes wasn't releasing all the way or something. I took it in to the dealership and it turns out that there was in fact something wrong with the transmission (they didn't explain what exactly was wrong though). My Camaro is a 2012, I just bought it 2 months ago and it only has 2500 miles on it...How could the transmission have problems? Pretty ridiculous. Anyway, they ended up ordering me a new transmission and it should be here in 5 days. If anyone else runs into this problem, make sure they call GM and make them order an entire new transmission. Don't let them try to repair it. Has anyone else had this issue?

..maybe previous owner was too hard on it.:iono:

kalo 04-02-2012 04:35 PM

Interesting to hear that you are having a similar problem. They told me the lower gears slipped and were grinding together and metal fragments were in the transmission causing the weird noise. Anyway, they replaced the transmission and the whole process took about a week. Hopefully this transmission lasts longer than the first one!!

Also, I bought the car brand new, no previous owners. I have been taking it easy, breaking it in properly. Really annoying that this happened, but glad it was resolved painlessly enough.

PitchBlack 04-04-2012 12:42 AM

Kalo, I'm sorry you had transmission problems too, but I am glad you got your parts quickly.

My problem was a torque converter that messed up at around 6,700 miles (ridiculous) and it is taking weeks to get the part in.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210308

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213173

kalo 04-06-2012 11:23 AM

PitchBlack, I just read through your threads, man that sucks. I was furious when I found out I needed a new transmission, but if it would have taken as long as your converter is taking, I'd go crazy! Hope the part comes in ASAP and I hope none of us have any issues like this again in the future.

mpate16 04-08-2012 12:14 AM

mine is doing the same thing! It is a metallicy grinding sound that happens when accelerating from a dead stop or almost stopped. I've only got 5000 miles on it and I have had my 2012 for 5 months. Frustrating.

kalo 04-10-2012 03:48 PM

Very frustrating. Have you taken yours in yet?

xtreme3881 04-10-2012 06:24 PM

I am having similar issues on my 2012 2SS A6. On top of what the OP said it sometimes clicks when I place it in gear from a dead stop. I'm ready to return this damn car. I really would like a GM rep help me on this one.

John

DJ_BigC 04-10-2012 06:59 PM

Now the SS V8 transmission is completely different front the V6 transmission.

I really dont think that anyone understands the complexity of an auto trans. There are so many moving parts and things that can go wrong in an auto trans compared to manual, that if anyone knew or had an idea as to what goes on in there i think it would blow their mind.

The fact that it let go in 2500 miles means that there was a defect from factory, there was physically nothing you could have done to make it not blow up on you.

It could have gotten the wrong fluid from factory which delaminates the clutches, it could have been under or over filled from factory also causing problems. You got the new tranny, next oil change make sure the fluid level is checked at the right temp, and make sure its always at the right level and the fluid is nice and red and you should be fine.

Hopefully the new trans works out for you

xtreme3881 04-10-2012 07:11 PM

Like to add that my car has 250 miles on it.

Had a similar issue on my Auto Corvette 09. After 3 GM techs servicing and looking at it they ended up replacing the transmission.

pariah76 06-06-2012 09:02 PM

I seem to be having the dame problem with my 2012, though usually at moderate speedswith light gas. Started around 3500 miles and slowly getting worse. Probably going to take in tomorrow morning.