Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Strange feeling when shifting and clutching 6SP MT (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534053)

dyonz 07-16-2018 04:20 PM

Strange feeling when shifting and clutching 6SP MT

Hey all,

I have a 2011 6SP MT Camaro 2SS. When I move my shifter into gears they all feel really bumby, maybe notchy would be the better word? im not sure but it feels hard to push it all the way into gear.

also lower RPMs like 800-1.2k 5-7 MPH in first gear feels sort of like the car will rock back and forth and make some sort of like clanking sound this also seems to happen sometimes in second gear at lower RPMs.

Sometimes when shifting and then releasing the clutch after up shifting it will sort of jerk i'm not sure if this is user error or not.. it tends to not do it as much if i let out the clutch very slowly almost riding it.

Lastly i'd like to know how damaging it is to the clutch for me to start off in first gear by just slowly releasing the clutch to make the car move.

Thanks for reading.

JD555 07-16-2018 05:26 PM

Totally normal for these. In cold weather until the trans warms its tough to get in first. Idling in first gear the car will buck. Basically I get it going and push the clutch in and coast or give it some gas. At times you just cant stop it and just push the clutch in and let it settle a second and let it back out. You will get the hang of it.

gringo 07-16-2018 05:41 PM

With all that V8 torque, can't you start off in second gear? Heck, I can even do that in my little V6.

dyonz 07-16-2018 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringo (Post 10252008)
With all that V8 torque, can't you start off in second gear? Heck, I can even do that in my little V6.

I thought I read somewhere that it wasnt good to start off in second gear, is that not the case?

Matt8892(2) 07-16-2018 05:48 PM

Look into redline d4 atf for the trans if you want to really smooth out that shifter feel. Look it up. Everything else you stated sounds totally normal

dyonz 07-16-2018 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt8892(2) (Post 10252016)
Look into redline d4 atf for the trans if you want to really smooth out that shifter feel. Look it up. Everything else you stated sounds totally normal

yeah i had changing out the fluid in mind, just not sure how hard the process is of doing it.

Wizard1183 07-16-2018 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dyonz (Post 10252090)
yeah i had changing out the fluid in mind, just not sure how hard the process is of doing it.

Take out top plug. Take out low plug drain. Install low plug back. Pump new fluid in til drops out top plug hole. How hard is that?

CamaroFred 07-16-2018 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dyonz (Post 10252012)
I thought I read somewhere that it wasnt good to start off in second gear, is that not the case?

Why not? I start in 2nd almost all the time.
I can just roll my foot off the clutch. No need to ride it.

dyonz 07-16-2018 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wizard1183 (Post 10252115)
Take out top plug. Take out low plug drain. Install low plug back. Pump new fluid in til drops out top plug hole. How hard is that?

doesn't seem hard.

dyonz 07-16-2018 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroFred (Post 10252124)
Why not? I start in 2nd almost all the time.
I can just roll my foot off the clutch. No need to ride it.

when you say roll your foot of the clutch do you mean you just let it out slow and not give gas when going from stop to moving?

CamaroFred 07-16-2018 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dyonz (Post 10252138)
when you say roll your foot of the clutch do you mean you just let it out slow and not give gas when going from stop to moving?

That is correct.

Spec 07-17-2018 10:25 PM

Also take off in second here most of the time when in normal traffic. Give it a little gas, hear it roar and - as mentioned - roll off the clutch... nothing wrong with my transmission after many many miles of road... :)

DSX_Camaro 07-18-2018 08:36 AM

Definitely recommend changing the trans fluid. And maybe your brake / clutch fluid? I remember seeing your other thread, your car has like 51k on it right? I dunno if your car is modified or if you're the original owner but maybe it's time for a better clutch? Or an upgraded master cylinder.

Biggest thing is maybe the car doesn't need any of it but it might make you feel better, which is a big deal. Lol.

dyonz 07-18-2018 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro (Post 10253917)
Definitely recommend changing the trans fluid. And maybe your brake / clutch fluid? I remember seeing your other thread, your car has like 51k on it right? I dunno if your car is modified or if you're the original owner but maybe it's time for a better clutch? Or an upgraded master cylinder.

Biggest thing is maybe the car doesn't need any of it but it might make you feel better, which is a big deal. Lol.

Yeah its got 53k~ I'm not the original owner either, and yeah thats what its mostly about is the car just doesnt feel smooth to drive like it was made with poor quality engineering or something lol. i think i'll start with the fluids maybe and see how that makes my shifts feel.

I wasnt aware there was a clutch fluid?