Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Royal purple or Amsoil (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532687)

andyc098 06-29-2018 10:50 AM

Royal purple or Amsoil

What should I go with. I heard both were good just getting opinions. Also I just hit my 100k Im probably gonna service it my self because knowing the dealer I might have to chop an arm and leg off.
Radiator flush
Power steering flush
Brake flush
Trans flush and new filter
Differential flush
Spark plugs---what brand?? I know AC delco is OE but maybe a different option.
Any PVC fittings? Any small items I might need?

JOURDAN 06-29-2018 11:27 AM

No one could answer this question.

This is a very complex subject.

However, ester based, long chain molecule refinement might provide the best protection by comparison.

Having your oil analyzed can provide some insight as to the level of protection and deterioration of engine components and level of contaminates.

Changing your oil more frequently has much more value than brand.

farm rat 06-29-2018 11:32 AM

Someone else may chime in but I have always heard it is a bad idea to flush an automatic transmission. It tends to loosen stuff up that ends up in places you don't want and causes failures. Just drain it and the diffy and replace the fluids.

I personally use Valvoline, but as long as the oil is a full synthetic and Dexos rated you should be alright.

12blkgrayRS 06-29-2018 02:59 PM

I use Mobil 1 advanced. viscosity depending on the weather. using 15W-50 now, sits in traffic at around 105-107deg temps. Water wetter in the radiator. Redline in trans(manual), redline in Differential. RBF600 brake lines Dot4. never had to flush my power steering....Always had a manual, cant tell you on the auto though.
The plugs go with OEM they are iridium from the factory.

SS Performance 06-29-2018 09:43 PM

I've been running Amsoil in a wide range of vehicles and am very satisfied.

Wizard1183 06-29-2018 10:12 PM

I used amsoil but in all honesty oil doesn’t matter much if it’s full synthetic and frequent changes. Mobil 1, Valvooline, Castro’s GTX. Doesn’t matter. My differentials I went with Mobil 1 and AC Delco limited slip bottle and Redline D4 for tranny

PeteD 06-29-2018 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyc098 (Post 10234645)
What should I go with. I heard both were good just getting opinions. Also I just hit my 100k Im probably gonna service it my self because knowing the dealer I might have to chop an arm and leg off.
Radiator flush
Power steering flush
Brake flush
Trans flush and new filter
Differential flush
Spark plugs---what brand?? I know AC delco is OE but maybe a different option.
Any PVC fittings? Any small items I might need?

This is a loaded question. But since you gave a choice of two, I will go with Amsoil. Have heard stories about the Purple but never Amsoil

Every one has their favorites for one reason or another. I use Mobil 1 for everything. Always have and never had a single problem. My 1993 has been ridden hard and ,,,well you know the rest. Over 212,000 miles on her and not one single issue. So, that is why I stick with it. I could care less about what is popular at this time. If it works, I use it until it doesn't.

Spark plugs? You first need to find out what type your car requires from the owner's manual. Standard , iridium, and the list goes on. Also depends on your car and setup. Daily driver, weekend warrior? what? I personally use NGK as do a lot of other people on here. They will last 100k miles easy.

You are def. doing the right thing keeping up with the maintenance. Kudos to you. Your car will last a long time.

SSE 4 2SS 06-29-2018 10:42 PM

Personally I run Amsoil but we change it every 20-30 miles... unless it's just street driving then we might make it to 500 miles or so but thats horribly expensive at $15.00 a gallon and 3 MPG. So, I don't street drive very much and I change the oil before and after every racing event....

Spark plugs, I run NGK but for a very different reason....We change those every 8-10 miles depending on conditions...

If your OE plugs last 100K miles, Why change brands.... Slap a new set in there and run it for another 100K miles....

Moto-Mojo 06-29-2018 11:13 PM

Amsoil was developed for jet engines in what, the 1950’s, when they were developed? Presumably these high RPM, (17,000 rpm) close tolerance engines, needed something superior. Fast fwd to the modern day and developmental cycle. Can’t go wrong with this product. In my opinion.

Spurshot 06-30-2018 10:12 AM

There are no oils that will majically make your car go faster, longer etc, than other spec oils. Go with whatever oil you want as long as it meets the car spec. In the end, it won't matter. Just change it on the OLM schedule at the very longest. Lets face it, in another 100k miles, the lawnboy will be driving it, smoking, singing mariachi songs, with fastfood trash, beer cans, and used condoms on the floor, anyway. Use a good filter (Wix XP, Mobil 1, STP, Amsoil, Royal Purple, Fram Ultra Synthetic, other known good ones for synthetic oils)

Glock17 06-30-2018 09:06 PM

Now that’s funny!!!!
True....But funny!
:bellyroll:

gringo 06-30-2018 09:19 PM

:laughabove::laughabove::laughabove::laughabove:

DonM 07-01-2018 11:05 AM

All my fluids (minus P/S, coolant/brake fluid) are Amsoil and I change at the OLM's reading. No issues. I'm at 80K and I'll either use factory replacements or NGK when it's time to do the plugs.

spyderbuddy 07-01-2018 11:43 AM

92,000 Mile with Mobile one oils and Wix filters.
Change oil every 3,000-4,000 miles