Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Tire pressure in my BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=553305)

bcasurvey 04-28-2019 10:59 AM

Tire pressure in my BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2

So i just noticed my BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 says 51 PSI max tire pressure. normally i would run what it says on the tire but that seems high to me.
What are you guys running for tire pressure? thx

HOJO 04-28-2019 12:19 PM

Look inside the drivers door area, there should be a tag which will show you the proper tire pressure for fronts and rears. The pressure rating on the tire is the max pressure for that tire itself.

bcasurvey 04-28-2019 12:45 PM

thx, but my car is a SS and my wheels and tires are off a ZL1. i am wandering if it would make a difference? my car says 36 PSI front and rear but they are different size tires. can someone till me what it says off their ZL1?

Shakamanno 04-28-2019 01:50 PM

This site has info on recommended tire pressure
https://tirepressure.com/chevrolet-camaro-tire-pressure

JimE 05-14-2019 12:30 PM

I short...any pressure that doesn't cause abnormal tire wear.

ie: Too low, the outer edges wear. Too high, the center wears.

CamaroFred 05-14-2019 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcasurvey (Post 10503679)
thx, but my car is a SS and my wheels and tires are off a ZL1. i am wandering if it would make a difference? my car says 36 PSI front and rear but they are different size tires. can someone till me what it says off their ZL1?

The Pirellis that came on your SS also read 51psi max.
36 will be good.
50psi and you will be bouncing like a basketball.

SSEssence 05-14-2019 03:15 PM

I run 35 all around

TheFlyingBananaSS 05-19-2019 07:26 PM

I have the same on my fronts. I like to run 32 so that once they heat up they are at 36 or 37.

Rock-It Man 05-23-2019 04:47 PM

The cold tire pressure is 36 psi.

The max tire pressure on the sidewall is just that: the maximum pressure before the tire becomes unsafe.

As you drive, tires heat up. That is taken into account when the COLD TIRE PRESSURE is specified by the car designers. Under-inflating so that the tires "come up" to 36 psi is WRONG.

Furthermore, the cold tire pressure changes with the seasons: about 1 psi per 10 degrees F. So a few times a year, with your car sitting in the shade or in the garage, so that one side isn't hotter than the other from direct sunlight, the tire pressure should be adjusted.

TheFlyingBananaSS 05-25-2019 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock-It Man (Post 10526113)
The cold tire pressure is 36 psi.

The max tire pressure on the sidewall is just that: the maximum pressure before the tire becomes unsafe.

As you drive, tires heat up. That is taken into account when the COLD TIRE PRESSURE is specified by the car designers. Under-inflating so that the tires "come up" to 36 psi is WRONG.

Furthermore, the cold tire pressure changes with the seasons: about 1 psi per 10 degrees F. So a few times a year, with your car sitting in the shade or in the garage, so that one side isn't hotter than the other from direct sunlight, the tire pressure should be adjusted.

I suppose lowering my pressure in the rear before racing is "wrong" in your eyes too. As I mentioned "It's my preference " Different driving styles and tracks require different setups.

Telling people that running anything but the factory recommend tire pressures shows your ignorance of the topic and a need for some self education.

tomlink 05-31-2019 03:42 PM

Hey FlyingBananaSS you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but Rock-It-Man is spot on. The recommended pressure is the cold pressure. And that is Summer or Winter.

Rock-It Man 06-01-2019 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFlyingBananaSS (Post 10527602)
I suppose lowering my pressure in the rear before racing is "wrong" in your eyes too. As I mentioned "It's my preference " Different driving styles and tracks require different setups.

Telling people that running anything but the factory recommend tire pressures shows your ignorance of the topic and a need for some self education.

Don't put words in my mouth. I wasn't talking about special circumstances such as racing.

What I'm addressing is the common misconception that the recommended tire pressure is the operating pressure, when in fact it's the cold tire pressure.

VR Baron 06-01-2019 11:37 AM

Not sure about the zl1, but the Goodyear’s on the 1le That are near the same size at cold psi is 32. But they wear fast.35 is good for the street.19”race tires with stiff thick sidewalls would be at 32 psi cold

JimE 06-03-2019 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VR Baron (Post 10533342)
Not sure about the zl1, but the Goodyear’s on the 1le That are near the same size at cold psi is 32. But they wear fast.35 is good for the street.19”race tires with stiff thick sidewalls would be at 32 psi cold

It's likely not want you meant, but they don't wear fast because of the tire pressure.

I usually have mine at 30, but the dealer puts them at 35.