Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   ARH Headers Question (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37701)

Corvin 08-16-2009 06:39 PM

ARH Headers Question

Now anyone correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that installing these makes your car have error codes. If this is true has there been any word on a fix for it?

camaro1 08-16-2009 07:09 PM

i have installed several of the long tube header set ups with the small bullet cats and all of them have eventually set the p0420/421 cat efficiency codes, these were not the arh headers but other brands that have the same style small bullet cats

only way to fix it is to have a tune done and turn off the codes

Corvin 08-16-2009 07:17 PM

But wouldn't that show up when you have your emissions test done and cause it to fail?

Mr_Draco 08-16-2009 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corvin (Post 805629)
But wouldn't that show up when you have your emissions test done and cause it to fail?

Yes. Long tube headers and cats will cause your car to fail the emission test if you live in an area that does it.

camaro1 08-16-2009 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corvin (Post 805629)

yes if the code is current,, from what i have seen these small bullet converters are hit and miss,, sometimes when the ecm runs the cat efficiency test they will pass then sometimes they wont. your ecm is always doing emmision test while you drive, all depending on your driving cycle/ style of driving

sscamaro 08-17-2009 09:35 AM

I've put LT headers on my 02 Camaro SS(FLP) and my 05 Corvette(Kooks). I have never thrown a code with either one at anytime. Some will and some won't.

A.R. Headers 08-17-2009 02:51 PM

Guys, This is always a popular question. The easiest fix, and consequently what produces the best results, is a tune. This eliminates any possibility of a CEL and at the same time boosts performance throughout the RPM range. Regardless of headers used, tuning is a must.

Nick

Michael_Js 08-17-2009 02:53 PM

but even with a tune will it fail emissions testing??

Gentry78 08-17-2009 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael_Js (Post 808661)
but even with a tune will it fail emissions testing??

no a lot of times with high flow cats you will still pass the sniffer with the same or better and you can pass even easier if the cats are nice and hot so get on it when going to get the inspection lol

but if you don't live in a state that has to pass the sniffer all they do is hook up the obdII check for codes and a visual inspection which i easy to pass because most don't care and the others just look see the cats and have no idea if they are factory location or not so pass