Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Heater Core Gone Bad.... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93274)

Number_9 07-05-2010 10:57 AM

Heater Core Gone Bad....
 
Talk about a bummer... the heater core went bad on the EVIL RS last week. It was preceeded by the faint smell of dextron a day or two before, then I noticed the wet carpet on the passenger side floor board. :(

Longer story made short, I took it into Classic Chevy and they are being great about it (I've come to expect no less from these guys.) The worst part is the time for repair, roughly a week as the heater core has to be ordered along with a windshield and carpeting.

To replace it, they have to take out the dash and the front windshield to get to the heater core... and, since the carpeting got soaked with dextron and will never be the same, they have to pull out the seats and replace the all of the carpet/well (it's once big piece.) Ouch!!

I'm driving sound in a huge Avalanche now too, which they had waiting for me when I showed up... It's a really nice truck, had less then 20 miles on it when I got it, but it's a bit different to drive around than the Camaro, and no where near as fast of the line!! Haha. At least I have wheels while I wait... :facepalm:

MasterZ 07-05-2010 11:06 AM

remove the windshield to change the heater core...holy smokes batman...that is the first time I have ever heard of this before. Sure is costly to replace a heater core, sounds like there was a oppps in the design. ...Imagine the 2011 Camaro with the HUD windshield...

Inferno Man 07-05-2010 11:06 AM

That stinks.............any ideas why it would have gone bad so soon??

Scrappy Doo 07-05-2010 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inferno Man (Post 2060167)
That stinks.............any ideas why it would have gone bad so soon??

There is a TSB about it. They have had a problem or too with them. people have rported hearing a sloshing sound coming from the glove box area.

2SSRS@Gen5diy 07-05-2010 11:14 AM

Hi-9 you car and my are close in # Let me know whats up as i think it may be a problom,
In the last 3 days my car has had a smell of some thing too.

before some of you and say something. (And not BO)

MasterZ 07-05-2010 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2SSRS (Post 2060187)
Hi-9 you car and my are close in # Let me know whats up as i think it may be a problom,
In the last 3 days my car has had a smell of some thing too.

before some of you and say something. (And not BO)


if you are getting a smell of antifreeze I would be keeping a close eye of the pass side footwelll.. make sure it isnt damp or have any water there..

2SSRS@Gen5diy 07-05-2010 11:24 AM

I know, have not seen any, But its so hot out here that water is gone in 5 min on the ground.

MasterZ 07-05-2010 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2SSRS (Post 2060209)
I know, have not seen any, But its so hot out here that water is gone in 5 min on the ground.


not outside the car, inside on the floor board

Number_9 07-05-2010 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inferno Man (Post 2060167)
That stinks.............any ideas why it would have gone bad so soon??

Dunno... I am at about 24k miles now though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2SSRS (Post 2060187)
Hi-9 you car and my are close in # Let me know whats up as i think it may be a problom,
In the last 3 days my car has had a smell of some thing too...

Check the passenger sued floor board and up under your dash, like below/behind the glovebox. Any moisture at all equals not good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterZ (Post 2060252)
not outside the car, inside on the floor board

Exactly. By the time you notice the moisture/wetness, it's past a minor problem. I started smelling it before I started seeing/feeling it.

ackeight 07-05-2010 12:56 PM

I was told it is a hose that is too big going into or out of the heater core. They replace it with a smaller one.

ChrisBlair 07-05-2010 01:02 PM

The car's still new; how many heater cores can service centers possibly be familiar with on a 2010 Camaro? The service manual says 'remove windshield', so they do it, but there may be another way to do it. Give the techs and mechanically inclined owners a little time, they will come up with a better way, I'll bet

thiggin2 07-05-2010 01:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisBlair (Post 2060481)
The car's still new; how many heater cores can service centers possibly be familiar with on a 2010 Camaro? The service manual says 'remove windshield', so they do it, but there may be another way to do it. Give the techs and mechanically inclined owners a little time, they will come up with a better way, I'll bet

I don't know if they can. There are two long bolts that go straight down into the dash carrier right at the base of the windshield :chevy:.

mfr1950 07-05-2010 02:05 PM

I have heard that removing the dash out of the car the windshield can crack on these Camaros, at least you got a new Avalanche to drive!!

TooCool5 07-05-2010 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thiggin2 (Post 2060570)
I don't know if they can. There are two long bolts that go straight down into the dash carrier right at the base of the windshield :chevy:.

What? Take out the windshield for a heater core replacement???

Are the GM engineers on crack or something?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.