Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Going Out Of My Mind (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=541631)

Biergut 11-01-2018 10:53 AM

Going Out Of My Mind

I am new here... that's my fault because when I purchased my Porsche last year I knew I should have purchased the Z28. :frusty: Well now I have some to my senses and just had post.

I've tracked cars going back to the very early 1990s and have been through a lot of cars for the track over the years (12)... exclusively Porsches, but for one Corvette and now know... I need a Z28. I am amazed at the prices for these unbelievable machines. What shocks me is the prejudice about these monsters... when I tell folks I'm losing the Cayman for a Z28 I can't tell you the strange looks I get... I love it.

I have the Jones for a Z so bad it's consuming way too much of my time -- I find myself watching the Chris Harris video over and over again... I need the Porsche gone first, but boy -- once that is gone -- I'll be in a Z28 so fast my wife will wonder just what the f*^k just happened! (she is also one of the Porsche snobs)

Anyway-- wanted to get acquainted with you guys, introduce myself and hope to be a member of the club soon. Wish me luck!

Biergut

johna 11-01-2018 11:25 AM

You won’t regret it.
I recently purchased my Z28. I sold my Porsche 987 Boxster spyder to do this. I have not tracked the z28 yet. but just the sound of the huge dry sump 7.0 liter puts a grin on my face way more than the Spyder...and the spyder was an excellent raw car. But the z28 is an amazing unique monster!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrRaZ28 11-01-2018 12:50 PM

^ What John said. Still the best car I've ever driven, street and track. Over a year later, and I STILL go out into the garage to look at her.. 4 track days down this year, many.... MANY more to go.

Don't be afraid to travel for the right one.. it's worth the return trip!

DasBaldDog 11-01-2018 01:11 PM

I've owned late model fast cars, I've owned powerful (modded and unmodded) muscle cars.

Wasn't happy with any of them.

Told the better half that I wanted a modern muscle car, a new antique racecar. That day read and article on Jalopnik about how the Z's had gotten cheap and started my hunt.

It is exactly what I was looking for. It feels like a high performance restomod. It's a modern version of the old sports/muscle cars.

tylerio 11-01-2018 03:11 PM

In many ways it's a throwback. Driving it brings back the glory days of muscle cars in the late 60's.. Mine has about 35-40 track days on it, have had very few problems despite all the stress put on the car. It has 21K miles on odometer and here is the list of problems so far: leaky radiator drain cock, a TPMS sensor failure, and a leaky O-ring at the pumpkin.That's it!

Crashed it into the tire wall at Lime Rock last year, patched it up with duct tape and cable ties, drove it home, did another 4 track days before getting it to the body shop because the suspension was fine. $21 K in damage, but no suspension damage and no driver injury. Can't beat this car.

Biergut 11-01-2018 03:30 PM

Awesome! Love the war stories... and can't wait to add a few myself. Unfortunately, it does not appear to be a good time to sell a sportscar -- I've had zero bites on the Porsche - advertised everywhere. Had a dealer in CO offer me 27.5 for the Cayman... I'd take that if I had a local NJ, PA, NY dealer offer me the same. I do a quick search for local (NJ) cars each day -- keeping my fingers crossed.

:thumb:

Palutz 11-01-2018 05:56 PM

Biergut,

I was in your shoes up until Monday when I picked up my Z/28 and I must tell you not to give up if a Z is what you want. I used to watch every video on YouTube and imagine myself getting into the driver seat ... I finally did it. The permagrin is real, the car is faster than you think, and you will notice a lot of turned heads and thumbs up. I absolutely love this car and would recommend it to anyone that doesn’t see driving as a chore.

Good luck and keep us updated!

Racer56 11-01-2018 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biergut (Post 10352143)
I am new here... that's my fault because when I purchased my Porsche last year I knew I should have purchased the Z28. :frusty: Well now I have some to my senses and just had post.

I've tracked cars going back to the very early 1990s and have been through a lot of cars for the track over the years (12)... exclusively Porsches, but for one Corvette and now know... I need a Z28. I am amazed at the prices for these unbelievable machines. What shocks me is the prejudice about these monsters... when I tell folks I'm losing the Cayman for a Z28 I can't tell you the strange looks I get... I love it.

I have the Jones for a Z so bad it's consuming way too much of my time -- I find myself watching the Chris Harris video over and over again... I need the Porsche gone first, but boy -- once that is gone -- I'll be in a Z28 so fast my wife will wonder just what the f*^k just happened! (she is also one of the Porsche snobs)

Anyway-- wanted to get acquainted with you guys, introduce myself and hope to be a member of the club soon. Wish me luck!

Biergut

I currently own a 2015 Z-28 with extensive engine mods. I track it at Lime Rock, the Glen and Monticello Motor Club. I plan to hit the New Jersey tracks next season.

I also own a full-race Cayman S (my 2nd) which I also love. I would have a hard time choosing between the two if forced. One is an sledgehammer, the other a scalpel, but both very satisfying.

I started racing in SCCA in 1970 (Formula cars, IMSA Porsche). I am 71 and stopped racing two years ago but still do DE's and instruct. I have also owned 16 Porsche, five being race cars. I bought a new Z-28 in '69 and before that an Impala SS 409 and a Chevelle SS 396, so I have been through the full range of Porsche and Chevy's.

I had no interest in owning an American car since I got my first 911 in 1970, but when I saw the Z-28, I fell in love. Once the prices came down, I, along with a few friends, bought one.

The only other American cars I would possibly consider to Z are the Grand Sport Vette (with cam and headers) and the yet to be announced 6th Gen Z-28.

Racer56 11-01-2018 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerio (Post 10352348)
In many ways it's a throwback. Driving it brings back the glory days of muscle cars in the late 60's.. Mine has about 35-40 track days on it, have had very few problems despite all the stress put on the car. It has 21K miles on odometer and here is the list of problems so far: leaky radiator drain cock, a TPMS sensor failure, and a leaky O-ring at the pumpkin.That's it!

Crashed it into the tire wall at Lime Rock last year, patched it up with duct tape and cable ties, drove it home, did another 4 track days before getting it to the body shop because the suspension was fine. $21 K in damage, but no suspension damage and no driver injury. Can't beat this car.

We have similar cars. Let's hook up at Lime Rock next year (open exhaust day only!)

_Chigga 11-01-2018 08:52 PM

if you guys are looking to buy now is a great time with winter coming up, lots of great deals poping up too!

rcandiloro 11-01-2018 11:39 PM

I went from a 2009 ZR1 to a Z/28 and have never looked back. I LOVED my ZR1, but always was drawn to the Z/28. It's not as fast, but in terms of pure driving enjoyment there is no comparison. The Z/28 is just a raw, visceral beast and I can't imagine another car that is as much fun to drive. The way it looks, the way it sounds, the way it makes power.....just pure analog perfection! You will not regret it!

John_C 11-02-2018 07:16 AM

Why not just get the latest and greatest?

A new ZL1 1LE?

j o n 11-02-2018 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_C (Post 10352806)
Why not just get the latest and greatest?

A new ZL1 1LE?

50% more to obtain a ZL1 1LE vs a used Z/28

To the Cayman owners... I wonder how the large size increase to the Camaro platform feels coming from the little Cayman