Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   L99 discussion (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5181)

The_Blur 07-18-2008 06:07 PM

L99 discussion

Apparently, the L99 that made the 1994 Caprice will make the Camaro with significant changes. The L99 is a modified LT1, bringing the classic motor back to the Camaro. In the Caprice, it made 18 mpg in the city and 24 mpg on the highway. Information is according to Edmunds.

How did GM make a 200-horsepower motor push 395 horses? What impact on fuel efficiency can we expect from the boost in horsepower coupled with the addition of AFM to this motor. Since it is only going to be used in the automatic, according to the leaked RS thread, what impact will the automatic transmission have on this?

If you have any other useful information about the L99 post it as well. We have been discussing the L76 and the LS3 so much that we had not even discussed the L99 in these forums.

Chocolate Apocalypse 07-18-2008 06:19 PM

I cant see a Gen II motor in the 5th gen, no matter what they have done with it. I'm guessing its just a detuned ls3 w/AFM.

The_Blur 07-18-2008 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chocolate Apocalypse (Post 92340)
I cant see a Gen II motor in the 5th gen, no matter what they have done with it. I'm guessing its just a detuned ls3 w/AFM.

It has been leaked with the photos and posted everywhere. Until Monday, I'm just focused on learning as much as possible about the L99.

Moreover, GM has not yet made AFM available on the LS3.

Chocolate Apocalypse 07-18-2008 06:26 PM

Its been leaked that the name of the motor is L99, not that its a GenII motor. Who in their right mind would buy that? lol

The_Blur 07-18-2008 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chocolate Apocalypse (Post 92350)
Its been leaked that the name of the motor is L99, not that its a GenII motor. Who in their right mind would buy that? lol

The L99 is also the name of the motor in the Chevrolet Caprice in 1994.

Hyperknight 07-18-2008 06:40 PM

I think they just used the engine number again lol. I think it's just the ls3 fitted with the cylinder deactivation and the auto tranny

carsismeZ06 07-18-2008 07:08 PM

I think that this motor will be put in the RS model.

boxmonkeyracing 07-18-2008 07:17 PM

We will see come monday what they are refering to, hopefully. but if the RS is not the base V-8 (I doubt it) then it's nothing more then an apperance package that can be bought with any level. IMO.

Shadowsong 07-18-2008 07:33 PM

I'm pretty sure they just reused the name... Road and track has said that there were two 6.2l v8's, one being the ls3 paired with the manual trans. and the other being the l99, basically the ls3 with cylinder deactivation and to be paired with the auto tranny.

So basically, no, we don't have to worry about a Gen II being in the camaro...

Were you really worried about that in the first place, I mean come on... it's GM ;)

GTAHVIT 07-18-2008 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowsong (Post 92417)
I'm pretty sure they just reused the name... Road and track has said that there were two 6.2l v8's, one being the ls3 paired with the manual trans. and the other being the l99, basically the ls3 with cylinder deactivation and to be paired with the auto tranny.

So basically, no, we don't have to worry about a Gen II being in the camaro...

Were you really worried about that in the first place, I mean come on... it's GM ;)

Exactly.

But, as others have said, none of this is official until monday.

4thGen 07-18-2008 07:45 PM

A Gen II engine isn't going to be used.

Mythic 07-18-2008 07:57 PM

I havent seen anything confirmed. Those "confirmed" photos of the RS look like "Confirmed" photoshop work.

Until Scott or other reputable GM source says so I don't think speculation should be rubber stamped as gospel.

jmliptak 07-18-2008 08:08 PM

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=6950

The RS is the V6. LS and LT are option packages, go build a Cobalt on the Chevy website and I think you will understand.

Per Road and Track, the L99 is the version of the LS3 that will come with the auto and has AFM, etc. That is consistent with what we heard before, that the auto and the manual would have different HP numbers. And current AFM does not work with a manual, so it fits.

"Those who choose the Tremec 6060 manual will get the LS3 from the Corvette, while buyers opting for the 6-speed automatic will get the L99 V-8 with active fuel management, which cycles back and forth between four and eight cylinders to boost fuel economy. The LS3 is expected to make about 420 bhp and 408 lb.-ft. of torque, while the L99 is estimated at 395 bhp and 395 lb.-ft. of torque. The V-6 will run on regular unleaded gasoline, while both V-8s are specified to take premium."

This was noted above Shadowsong above, this is the details they posted.

The_Blur 07-18-2008 08:22 PM

I have a new theory about the RS that allows for the RS to be a V8 package.

• 500-hp Camaro Z28 (LSA or something else badass)—everyone's favorite car to speculate
• 416-hp Camaro SS (LS3)
• 395-hp Camaro RS (L99)
• 295-hp Camaro LT (LLT plus option and appearance package)
• 295-hp Camaro LS (LLT without LT package)
• 260-hp Camaro (LNF)—not confirmed but debated

This would allow for 2 V8s and a performance RS trim.

This is only a theory.

boxmonkeyracing 07-18-2008 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Blur (Post 92453)

• 500-hp Camaro Z28 (LSA or something else badass)—everyone's favorite car to speculate
• 416-hp Camaro SS (LS3)
• 395-hp Camaro RS (L99)

This is only a theory.

good theory can't wait till monday.

btw I believe FBodfather confirmed the Z28 on camaroz28.com. posted it in the confirmend and unconfirmed thread you started.

pinkcamaro10 07-18-2008 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Blur (Post 92453)

• 416-hp Camaro SS (LS3)
• 395-hp Camaro RS (L99)

This is only a theory.

That makes sence to me, i hope you are right.

except all of the pics of the RS have manual trans.

Dan 07-18-2008 10:41 PM

Sorry but I am unconvinced that an L99 even exists. I find some of the leaked info hard to believe and relying on Car and Driver or Motor Trend for any kind of accurate info is just inviting disappointment.

Mr. Wyndham 07-18-2008 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 92558)
Sorry but I am unconvinced that an L99 even exists. I find some of the leaked info hard to believe and relying on Car and Driver or Motor Trend for any kind of accurate info is just inviting disappointment.

'Till Moday you shall wait, then. As the wise do. As I do.http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/c...racter0020.gif

The_Blur 07-18-2008 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 92558)

I am completely with you. The automotive media tends to make ridiculous assumptions and edit photos as if they shot new ones. Sometimes they admit to the photos, but they always stand by their anonymous sources. I bet if I gave a bunch of mythical Camaro specs to some writer at Car and Driver, they'd publish my nonsense as fact.

This case is different. New photos have been released, along with information consistent with previous fact and speculation. I'm beginning to think that the L99 may have been a typo or mistake, but it is still important to investigate this as though it is fact. Remember that GM modified the LLT for DI and maintained the name, so it is possible that GM could modify this motor. While I'm beginning to agree that this is highly unlikely, I feel that it is important to investigate any information from today's mammoth leak as if it is fact until GM brings out additional info.

Jak 07-19-2008 08:17 AM

Okey, not to step on any toes or anything, but didn't Scott say quite awhile back that there were only going to be two V-6's and one V-8? So I'm kinda puzzled as to why GM would have one V-8 dedicated to an auto and one V-8 for a Manual. But either way, the L99 would still kick the Challenger R/T's 370hp auto/ 375 standard butt. I could live with that.:bow: :drool: :wub:

jmliptak 07-19-2008 08:36 AM

I agree that we have the usual inconsistencies between the mags based on their ability to listen. And there are some inconsistencies to boot, in whether the RS is an appearance package or a model, the HP ratings, mileage, etc, etc. So there is still a lot to learn on Monday. In other words, they are as confused and as inconsistent as ever.

But the pics are shown as being FROM GM on all the sites. The Road and Track article talks about talking with Al Oppenheiser, GM's North American rear-drive vehicle chief engineer. These are not unnamed sources.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ook/index.html

These APPEAR to be the articles that these sources would have published Monday after the meeting at 4 pm EST when the news emargo was going to be lifted. They just came out early. It takes time to write the articles, so all that has to be done in advance, generally a couple of weeks in advance. So I think we are now looking at what they would have published late Monday or Tuesday of next week. A site in the UK broke the embargo early, at that point there is no reason to hold back and not publish, in fact those that do are put at a disadvantage.

That there is an L99, which is appers to be an LS3 with AFM and all the fuel saving stuff (it is a 6.2)does not appear to be in doubt. A lot of details about it are NOT known yet.

If all the mags got it right all the time then there would not be a need for more than one of them, right!

There is still a lot to be learned, and you will notice that GM did not let anybody take pics of the SS exterior. The Edmunds article even pokes fun at them about it. Its almost like GM is even smarter than we give them credit for and held something back in case this happened.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=129446#5

They give the model numbder of the tranny and some cool details.

"In this case, the automatic is a six-speed unit (6L80 in GM Powertrain parlance) that features shift paddles on the steering wheel. Each downshift will be accompanied by a rev-matching throttle blip."

So, do we know everything, NO.....That there is an L99 appears to be certain. The interesting part is that the L99 with the six speed auto and the higher geared rear end may actually get the same or better mileage, at least on the highway, than the manual....But THAT is a guess on my part...

Let the rampant speculation begin, we have till Monday at 4 and we need to keep each other busy till then and give the forum mods carpal tunnel syndrome trying to keep up!

SoFlaZ 07-19-2008 09:26 AM

I think the L99 is a L98+1. The engine in the Escalade modified to fit in a lower hood is my guess. Also the L98 was the TPI engine in the C4 Corvette, with 250 hp. I highly doubt the same engine in that vette is in the Escalade. Sorry if I seem sarcastic, I do not mean to be.

Also I don't see why AFM can't be used with a manual? To me I its like saying you can't get cruise control on a manual. I don't see how its any different shutting off 4 cyl's with auto or manual if you are cruising at a constant speed. If they are supposed to turn back on instantaneously, it should not matter what transmission you have. If the auto gets significantly more MPG's, I'll have to change my mind from my die-hard manual ways, though I don't have anything against autos I just prefer shifting myself.

I may be complaining about nothing, but i'll wait for Monday for some real answers.

radz28 07-19-2008 09:31 AM

I too don't think that information is correct. There is more of a chance at getting a ZL1 engine with a Rockcrusher M-22 in these cars than an archaic Gen II engine. It has to be a 6.X liter LSX variation; NO WAY could it be a Gen II... All the optispark and water pump problems, not to mention I believe it was either the hydrocarbons or nitro-something emissions were too high because of the LT-series compression ratios and combustion chamber designs. Gen III are far more advanced (let alone Gen IVs) so there is just no way, IMVHO.

jmliptak 07-19-2008 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoFlaZ (Post 92774)
I think the L99 is a L98+1. The engine in the Escalade modified to fit in a lower hood is my guess. Also the L98 was the TPI engine in the C4 Corvette, with 250 hp. I highly doubt the same engine in that vette is in the Escalade. Sorry if I seem sarcastic, I do not mean to be.

Also I don't see why AFM can't be used with a manual? To me I its like saying you can't get cruise control on a manual. I don't see how its any different shutting off 4 cyl's with auto or manual if you are cruising at a constant speed. If they are supposed to turn back on instantaneously, it should not matter what transmission you have. If the auto gets significantly more MPG's, I'll have to change my mind from my die-hard manual ways, though I don't have anything against autos I just prefer shifting myself.

I may be complaining about nothing, but i'll wait for Monday for some real answers.

There is an entire thread on this in this forum on page 2.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4563

Dragoneye summed it up well in that thread, it is primarily because there is no torque converter to absorb the vibration, etc, so if you program the computer on the manual to defeat that, you do not get the benefits. It will be solved eventually, but does not appear for the 2010 Camaro

jmliptak 07-19-2008 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radz282003 (Post 92779)
I too don't think that information is correct. There is more of a chance at getting a ZL1 engine with a Rockcrusher M-22 in these cars than an archaic Gen II engine. It has to be a 6.X liter LSX variation; NO WAY could it be a Gen II... All the optispark and water pump problems, not to mention I believe it was either the hydrocarbons or nitro-something emissions were too high because of the LT-series compression ratios and combustion chamber designs. Gen III are far more advanced (let alone Gen IVs) so there is just no way, IMVHO.

According to what has been published in mutiple places you are correct, it is an LS3 with AFM and other goodies and it is a 6.2!

SoFlaZ 07-19-2008 09:43 AM

Oh sorry, I must have missed that one.:bonk: :reposthorse:

jmliptak 07-19-2008 09:47 AM

Not a problem at all, I was hoping for the same thing!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoFlaZ (Post 92784)
Oh sorry, I must have missed that one.:bonk: :reposthorse:

Not a problem my friend, I just remember that one because I shared your hope for AFM and a manual, not to mention flex fuel like on the Tahoe version of the motor, that would have been extremely cool, but upgrades will come with future models....

SoFlaZ 07-19-2008 09:54 AM

I guess it makes sense with small jerking of the car when activated/deactivated, but I could live with it:D

I think I could squeeze 25-27 out of the LS3 which is better than the 23 as projected by whatever website I just read. LS1 and 2 owners say they can get 28+ sometimes. Obviously the first week I own the car i'll be getting around 6mpg:D :D

jmliptak 07-19-2008 10:02 AM

I am with you on that. I beat the EPA rating on my Cobalt SS/SC by 3-4 mpg by driving like someone heading to their own funeral...I save up the gas for the occasional mad rush or drive on my favorite twisty road....

AirGoya 07-19-2008 03:25 PM

With the AFM or cylinder deactivation, whatever you want to call it, is it any harder to mod the engine? Or is it almost exactly the same as with a LS3 with the manual?

Mr. Wyndham 07-19-2008 05:20 PM

You'll have issues primarily with the cam There's a reason that AFM-equipped engines are slightly less powerful than their 'normal' counterparts. The special lifters installed for the system require a lower-lift cam profile; that doesn't allow for a lot of wiggle room as far as cam-swapping.:iono:

EllwynX 07-19-2008 08:52 PM

I've read somewhere (forget where) that both the L99 and LS3 will require Premium gas. What are the odds of this being true? The Camaro has never required Premuim in the past that I remember.

I see the LS3 in the Vette is 'Recommended' Premium. If they 'Recommend' Premium I can deal with that. I'll just alternate between the two every so often...

pinkcamaro10 07-19-2008 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllwynX (Post 93139)
I've read somewhere (forget where) that both the L99 and LS3 will require Premium gas. What are the odds of this being true? The Camaro has never required Premuim in the past that I remember.

I see the LS3 in the Vette is 'Recommended' Premium. If they 'Recommend' Premium I can deal with that. I'll just alternate between the two every so often...

They are marketing the camaro as
"2010 Camaro:
Fun, Efficient Sports Car For The 21st Century"

I HIGHLY doubt that they would require premium gas in an efficient car. And with gas the way it is now there is no way they would do that.

Mr. Wyndham 07-19-2008 09:57 PM

Required...according to car mags/sites. Because using regular would result in an unacceptable power drop.......;)

You're LS3 observation is a good one.

pinkcamaro10 07-19-2008 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 93181)
Required...according to car mags/sites. Because using regular would result in an unacceptable power drop.......;)

You're LS3 observation is a good one.

so what are you saying? they will require or recommend?

shank0668 07-19-2008 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllwynX (Post 93139)

i use that in my vette its a bite with the whole 12 miles to the gallon it gets

Mr. Wyndham 07-19-2008 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkcamaro10 (Post 93191)
so what are you saying? they will require or recommend?

I'm not saying anything...

But if I were to bet, I'd place money that it recommends premium for optimum performance, but just like the Vette and G8; it'll run fine on regular.

fastball 07-20-2008 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoFlaZ (Post 92774)

That sounds like a logical explanation. I think the L99 people are thinking of is the old 4.3 V8. No way in the world is GM going to use a 20 year old engine, no matter how many refinements and upgrades they make to it.

AirGoya 07-20-2008 02:13 PM

Darn, i really want a V8 automatic that i can have fun with and mod just as easily as the LS3. I guess I will have to wait for a few days for the official release when the facts come out until I have to think about a different engine or trans.

fastball 07-20-2008 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AirGoya (Post 93595)
Darn, i really want a V8 automatic that i can have fun with and mod just as easily as the LS3. I guess I will have to wait for a few days for the official release when the facts come out until I have to think about a different engine or trans.

I always encourage people to learn how to drive stick, and those that do, I never let them use the excuse "it's such a pain in trafic" when they are buying a car like the Camaro.

Learn stick, buy stick. Keep clutch manufacturers happy! :D