Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Vararam Tune Only Model - My Review (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105109)

TLSTWIN 09-09-2010 08:30 PM

Vararam Tune Only Model - My Review

Well, I did a lot of my raving in the SLP Loudmouth review here..http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102886

I wanted to give Vararam a fair review of their own. Even though I didn't by it from Vararam directly (thanks LS3SSRS).

I was skeptical at best since I saw so many for sale on here. BUT, I took the plunge anyway...

I posted all the Dyno results in the thread above reviewing the SLP's.

The ONLY thing I didn't like about the Vararam, is that the radiator doesn't fit as tight as I would like. It isn't going to go anywhere, but just doesn't seem "right". I am trying to figure out a way to secure it back in the original screw holes....not any time soon, but am pondering it......I just wish the radiator was tighter.

All in all, great performance increase (better than any other CAI) and good instructions, easy to install.

**edit** I found out why my radiator didn't fit as tight. The guy I bought it from didn't send the bolts or installation instructions on how to alter the existing radiator mounts and then turn them around and use the longer bolts to secure the radiator.

2SSRS@Gen5diy 09-09-2010 08:52 PM

You can do what i did for the radiator, But its a lot of work, I made filler parts that go in from the front, There 1/16 aluminum that i had bent 1" wide flange for the radiator to sit on and that way it also closes the side so no air gos around the radiator.

I like it and it work good for me.

TLSTWIN 09-09-2010 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2SSRS (Post 2314701)
You can do what i did for the radiator, But its a lot of work, I made filler parts that go in from the front, There 1/16 aluminum that i had bent 1" wide flange for the radiator to sit on and that way it also closes the side so no air gos around the radiator.

I like it and it work good for me.

Got any pics? I am a visual kinda guy:iono:

2SSRS@Gen5diy 09-09-2010 10:30 PM

I will get you some, but you do need to remove the front bumper cover to do that Mod.

themossman 09-09-2010 10:52 PM

I used the radiator bolts that Vararam provided and cut off the little tabs on the stock radiator mounting blocks...it got it all snug and tight as stock...

TLSTWIN 09-10-2010 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2SSRS (Post 2315080)
I will get you some, but you do need to remove the front bumper cover to do that Mod.

That cool, sounds like a winter project...

Quote:

Originally Posted by themossman (Post 2315153)
I used the radiator bolts that Vararam provided and cut off the little tabs on the stock radiator mounting blocks...it got it all snug and tight as stock...

Can you take a picture of those. I don't think I recieved those.....guess that is because I didn't buy from Vararam, but they weren't in the instructions though either, so maybe they changed things:iono:

RobertHarriSS 09-10-2010 07:01 AM

If you didn't get the bolts from Vararam, you can buy some from a hardware store (about 4"-5" long). All you need to do is trim the tabs off the top of the radiator where the stock mounting blocks go, turn the mounting blocks 180 deg. and use the new longer bolts to attach the blocks to the original holes. As you tighten the bolts the radiator will suck up nice and tight.

TLSTWIN 09-10-2010 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertHarriSS (Post 2315820)
If you didn't get the bolts from Vararam, you can buy some from a hardware store (about 4"-5" long). All you need to do is trim the tabs off the top of the radiator where the stock mounting blocks go, turn the mounting blocks 180 deg. and use the new longer bolts to attach the blocks to the original holes. As you tighten the bolts the radiator will suck up nice and tight.

I hate to ask this, could you post up a picture or two, or send them to me?

I kinda need to see it...:iono::facepalm: sorry:facepalm:

RobertHarriSS 09-10-2010 01:02 PM

Sure. I'll post them here when I get home. It'll be about 6 or 7 your time.

SGOS252382 09-11-2010 05:55 AM

So going back to the dyno.
From what I could see, you picked up about 17 rwhp (no tune) and 21 rwhp (with tune) with the Vararam intake.

As mentioned, you should call Vararam and have them send you the bolts you need. Or just go to a local hardware store. Do get the bolts to fit right you'll need to shave the little plastic tabs on the radiator.

Without the bolts, the radiator will move back and forth (not good).

TLSTWIN 09-11-2010 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SGOS252382 (Post 2319189)
So going back to the dyno.
From what I could see, you picked up about 17 rwhp (no tune) and 21 rwhp (with tune) with the Vararam intake.

Close, it was more like 18, 19 when the first 3 are averaged (374.21HP), an then the first pull with the Vararam (393.29), that is 19.08 HP. Then with the tune it put it at 397.56WRHP.

There were a few pulls with the Vararam on, but I was too busy watching instead of filming and taking pictures to document. they were all pretty much the same.

ya, my radiator is fairly secure as is, but would prefer the bolts and firm position. I will go to my local hardware store once I see how they are secured (pics).....

RobertHarriSS 09-11-2010 09:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 162906

The bolt is 5" long. Just trim off the tab that's on the radiator and turn the mounting block around and insert longer bolt.

SGOS252382 09-11-2010 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLSTWIN (Post 2319302)
Close, it was more like 18, 19 when the first 3 are averaged (374.21HP), an then the first pull with the Vararam (393.29), that is 19.08 HP. Then with the tune it put it at 397.56WRHP.

There were a few pulls with the Vararam on, but I was too busy watching instead of filming and taking pictures to document. they were all pretty much the same.

ya, my radiator is fairly secure as is, but would prefer the bolts and firm position. I will go to my local hardware store once I see how they are secured (pics).....

Nice numbers
I'm a little suprised you only picked up 4.27 rwhp from a tune. My thinking would be that the Vararam was already making you lean, so there wasn't a lot of rwhp to gain from the tune (just getting everything set A/F where it needs to be).

TLSTWIN 09-11-2010 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SGOS252382 (Post 2319628)
Nice numbers
I'm a little suprised you only picked up 4.27 rwhp from a tune. My thinking would be that the Vararam was already making you lean, so there wasn't a lot of rwhp to gain from the tune (just getting everything set A/F where it needs to be).

yep, the tune was basically for idle and A/F mixture