Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Camaro ZL1 to get >550hp, Auto Option, ZR1 Traction Management, Production Q1 2012 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152276)

BowlingSS 06-11-2011 06:49 PM

I wonder what size TC this auto will have...

Bill
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Mr. Wyndham 06-11-2011 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BowlingSS (Post 3328526)

Bill

If it's the same unit as in the CTS-V (which I'd bet it is): 300mm. :thumbsup:

JoeP@TeamBeckyD 06-11-2011 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 3328538)

I think that is right.

TLSTWIN 06-11-2011 06:58 PM

HP and Price

Al was pretty clear that the HP numbers WILL be HIGHER than the 550 that the CTS-V has and that the price will not be disclosed.

After to talking to a different Camaro Team Builder/Designer.... they have not set a price, but they do have a ballpark number.

They are going to release all the details "PROPERLY" through the media he (Al Op.) said as well.

The other team member said approximately a month before you are able to order.

Al, also said that production is in the 1st quarter of 2012, but would not get any more specific.

TLSTWIN 06-11-2011 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BowlingSS (Post 3328526)

Bill

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 3328538)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet (Post 3328542)
I think that is right.

What is TC?

radz28 06-11-2011 06:59 PM

SWEET!!! Great news. Now, I have to ask myself if I'd rather go fast or look like I can drive fast, lol.

I'm sure the converter in those models are going to be pretty tight, for MPG reasons. There are many of our vendors who can help us out with that though.

Mr. Wyndham 06-11-2011 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLSTWIN (Post 3328547)
Al was pretty clear the the HP numbers WILL be HIGHER than the 550 the the CTS-V has and that the price will not be disclosed.

After to talking to a different Camaro Team Builder/Designer.... they have not set a price, but they do have a ballpark number.

They are going to release all the details "PROPERLY" through the media he (Al Op.) said as well.

The other team member said approximately a month before you are able to order.

Al, also said that production is in the 1st quarter of 2012, but would not get any more specific.

Thanks for this information!!

Man, I wish I could've been up there. :cry:

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLSTWIN (Post 3328555)
What is TC?

Torque Converter for the automatic transmission. :thumbsup:

a_Username 06-11-2011 07:13 PM

OHHHHHHH HELLLLLLLLLLLLLL YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

edz10ss 06-11-2011 07:18 PM

This news is great. For me it would only be real good news if the hp is the same. If they make it less, then that stinks. I know when this comes out im going to maybe want to buy it.

TLSTWIN 06-11-2011 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 3328565)
Thanks for this information!!

Man, I wish I could've been up there. :cry:

Torque Converter for the automatic transmission. :thumbsup:

You are welcome!

and doh:facepalm:

a_Username 06-11-2011 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edz10ss (Post 3328606)
This news is great. For me it would only be real good news if the hp is the same. If they make it less, then that stinks. I know when this comes out im going to maybe want to buy it.

As I said in the auto poll thread, they don't have a reason to make a variant of the LSA as they did the LS3 to L99. IIRC, they only made the L99 to dodge the gas guzzler tax, but the ZL1 will get hit with it no matter what they do; well, within reason anyway.

JBsC6 06-11-2011 07:25 PM

The CTS V automatic is the one GM chose to set fast time around the "ring" ...

I would imagine the new camaro with this new suspension system and upgraded transmission will be the fast ticket...

Thats the one I'd purchase......and for those who want a convertible version....I'd say....if you have the coin it'll be available a year or so after launch..

Expect to pay quite a few bucks for the convertible ZL1 but it will in my opinion be available...

Shurenuff 06-11-2011 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 3328515)
I'm optimistic they can avoid the GG tax to further compete with the GT500...we'll have to see.

This would be very nice, but I fully expect to pay a GG tax. And with comments like this below, comments that make me very happy, I'll gladly pay the tax.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLSTWIN (Post 3328547)
Al was pretty clear the the HP numbers WILL be HIGHER than the 550 the the CTS-V has and that the price will not be disclosed.

I definitely don't want compromises in regards to power for the sake of avoiding the GG tax. If they can somehow pull off both at the same time, great, but all out performance for me is the number one goal not avoiding the tax. Al's words are very encouraging to say the least, so I have faith they won't cripple power output to avoid the GG tax.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 3328515)
Generally...with things like MRC, and traction control systems, they're standard features. All the engineering and programming that goes into dialing these systems for the Camaro would be wasted if it's not standard.

People thought the SSs FE4 suspension tuning would be optional, but it's standard. I don't think they specified on PTM, though.

I'm sure you are right, it definitely makes the most sense that way.

I'm just thinking in line with the ZL1's main competitor, the GT500. I have a hard time rationalizing how they are going to offer all these features standard and will be able to offer the vehicle around the GT500's approximate 48-49k starting price point. Even if the ZL1's starting price point was just a few thousand more, it would be a great performance bargain.

I'm just wondering if they will hold back a few performance features at the entry level to compete with the entry level GT500 price and offer the all out performance featured version at a higher price. I believe the GT500 with the track pack runs mid 50's, so I'm wondering if GM will implement a similar pricing and option strategy.

TLSTWIN 06-11-2011 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shurenuff (Post 3328632)
This would be very nice, but I fully expect to pay a GG tax. And with comments like this below, comments that make me very happy, I'll gladly pay the tax.

I definitely don't want compromises in regards to power for the sake of avoiding the GG tax. If they can somehow pull off both at the same time, great, but all out performance for me is the number one goal not avoiding the tax. Al's words are very encouraging to say the least, so I have faith they won't cripple power output to avoid the GG tax.

I'm sure you are right, it definitely makes the most sense that way.

I'm just thinking in line with the ZL1's main competitor, the GT500. I have a hard time rationalizing how they are going to offer all these features standard and will be able to offer the vehicle around the GT500's approximate 48-49k starting price point. Even if the ZL1's starting price point was just a few thousand more, it would be a great performance bargain.

I'm just wondering if they will hold back a few performance features at the entry level to compete with the entry level GT500 price and offer the all out performance featured version at a higher price. I believe the GT500 with the track pack runs mid 50's, so I'm wondering if GM will implement a similar pricing and option strategy.

Al made no bones about what the intent of the ZL1 is. He said he didn't want to just beat the Mustangs, he wanted to destroy them.

He even made a comment that about they're being mustang fans in the audience, but he didn't care....:laugh::thumbsup: