Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Top V8 Availability? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4315)

vetterxx 05-29-2008 08:54 PM

Top V8 Availability?

Does anybody have any ideas about when the top V8 will be released. Or how many will be made? I've looked all over but cant find any clues. Does anybody know anything or are we all in the same boat here?:iono:

GTAHVIT 05-29-2008 09:17 PM

Nothing official. So, we don't know.

What we do know is there is a test mule that is blown/supercharged. That's about it where the HiPo engine is concerned.

vetterxx 05-29-2008 09:26 PM

I'm just hoping its not forever after the initial and not impossible to get like the gt500.

DGthe3 05-30-2008 10:05 AM

It will be out 6-12 months after the initial release. Its not likely to be any easier to get than a GT500, harder for a while.

SSNIGHTMARE 05-30-2008 10:30 AM

wow, 6-12 months that will really suck

vetterxx 05-30-2008 10:46 AM

any ideas as to weather or not the dealers will be able to place orders at the time of the coupe release?

GTAHVIT 05-30-2008 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGthe3 (Post 73733)
It will be out 6-12 months after the initial release. Its not likely to be any easier to get than a GT500, harder for a while.

Although I don't have any information to counter what DGthe3 says... This isn't official...

And I'm still holding on to the hope that we can get em day one... I know I'm not buying one right away but I still want to see and test drive one.

party pooper;)

DGthe3 05-30-2008 12:06 PM

Its not official, but the only way it isn't true is if it takes longer than 12 months for it to come out. Otherwise, even if it debuts at the same time as the others, its still out 12 months later too, right? Not what I initially meant, but the logic still holds.

However, I haven't heard anything to go against what I said and I think I remember heard from various official sources, plus lots of unofficial ones, that the top dog will be released about the same time as the 'vert. It follows what is almost always done. Look at Pontiac and the G8 GXP and 'model formerly known as sport truck'.

Manufacturers can't make all models of a car at the same time. So them make the volume sellers first because people who have been waiting for a $40K 500 hp Camaro are likely to wait a little longer.

GTAHVIT 05-30-2008 12:34 PM

I never said it didn't make sense.... I just don't like it. :(

vetterxx 05-30-2008 12:50 PM

I agree, I really hope they get them out there than we're expecting, but I'm not gonna hold my breath on that one :(

Mr. Wyndham 05-31-2008 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TERROR (Post 74092)
Putting the Z28 out of buyers' reach would be a huuuuge mistake for GM, and I think they realize this. Ford doesn't have a Corvette. They can make as many specialized Mustangs as they desire, and make them as exclusive as they desire, because they don't have a (reasonable) price bracket above the Mustang to create a cost/performance ceiling FOR the Stang.....GM already has that cost/performace ceiling......the Vette. Really, the GT500 IS Ford's Corvette. If GM puts the Z28 out of our reach (price or otherwise,) they piss off us "blue collar" performance lusting types and push us toward the Vette.....or even elsewhere, which is bad for the Maro either way, no?

...I'm not sure what you consider "out of reach"...but it IS going to be an 500+ supercharged super-car: for GT-500 moneys no doubt. (around 40k) I don't believe the demand for it is going to be super-high when compared to the SS :iono:.

mesogard 05-31-2008 09:35 PM

I am thinking that the LS3 will be an engine. I had the opportunity to get a ride in a 07 Vette last summer with an automatic and an LS3, and this engine is WICKED! I had a 69 Camaro, a 70 Chevelle with 300hp 350 and had friends with 69 Z28's and that 07 Vette brought back memories I had not had since the 70's! It didn't shift out of 1st gear till 75mph and had plenty of engine left! And this is with the traction computer ON! Weight and balance will be excellent with the all aluminum engine. I am also thinking the LS7 will be in the mix sometime as it is going into the Cadillac V Series soon. Also, keep in mind that ford (lack of caps intentional) already has a mustang with a 427...

As for the 300 HP V6, I rented a CTS last winter and I felt like I was driving a muscle car. I kept on goosing it just to hear the exhaust and feel the lurch of power. I know when Camaro fans think of 6 cylinders, the 250 straight six comes to mind, but trust me, this is not your 1st generation staight six!!!

There has also been talk of a 4 cylinder,and what I hear is the 2.0 liter with the turbo. This is the HHR SS, Cobalt SS and Sky/Solstice motor. Before you condemn GM for doing this, rent a Solstice or Sky this summer and see how well it performs. I am planning on doing this and will post some feedback...