Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   DIY - ENGINE COVER PAINTED (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44253)

sav1 09-24-2009 10:15 PM

DIY - ENGINE COVER PAINTED

18 Attachment(s)
Ok, so I was contemplating buying a painted engine cover (RED) from GM, or Doing it myself.. If I bought one. It would cost $380, and WASTE a perfectly good engine cover. Plus, the GM engine cover is really bland looking. So I collected up some info on C5 and decided to do it myself.. So if your wondering about buying one or DIY... and you think this came out ok... go for it.. PAINT.

remove the heat shield from the bottom
Cleaned / Degreased
sanded (NOT chevrolet letters)
CLeaned / Degreased
masked (4 hours - I'm extremely anal)
800 grit Sand
Cleaned / Degreased
Base coat (high heat 500* Duplicolor)
Wiped off "Chevrolet" letters with wet paint thinner LINT FREE towel
Cleaned lettering with wax / degrease remover. (see pic)
Dry (24 hours)
Clean / Degrease
WET sand (1500 Grit)
Clear Coat (high heat 500* - This clear does NOT make it Glossy)
Cleaned / Degreased

WARNING - If you're looking for a Glossy finish, don't use this paint or clear.

Tecca 09-24-2009 10:26 PM

Nice write up however I highly suggest to use a adhesion promoter and plastic primer.

Also I wouldn't worry about the high heat paint. Plain jane automotive paint will work with no problems.

It is all about the prep.

BumbleDs 09-24-2009 10:45 PM

Oohrah USMC

VenomZ302 09-25-2009 07:29 AM

Thanks for the write up and pictures! I'm looking into doing something similar with my engine cover, but kind of reversed. I'll post pictures if/when I get it done.

vuduman67 09-25-2009 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teccboxx (Post 966233)
Nice write up however I highly suggest to use a adhesion promoter and plastic primer.

Also I wouldn't worry about the high heat paint. Plain jane automotive paint will work with no problems.

It is all about the prep.

You are 100% correct on the adhesion promoter and primer on bare plastic but the areas he painted are already painted silver from the factory so really it not needed there as long as its sanded.
My bad except for the V8 section:D

sav1 09-25-2009 11:15 AM

now you guys got my scared about my v8 section.. hope it holds up. if not, I'll just knock off the rest of the red and keep it black. We'll see.

kismyss 12-02-2009 12:29 AM

Inspiration From Camaro5Forum

4 Attachment(s)
Attachment 77106
Attachment 77107
That was a great write up you inspired me to do the same check this out.:headbang:

Then i got crazy with the cheez whiz:sm0::sm0:
Attachment 77108

Attachment 77109

UCI CamaroFan 12-02-2009 03:27 AM

lookin good guys. I like it.

I may want to try it. But, I'll use glossy paint :)

garcmol 12-02-2009 06:27 AM

$380 for an engine cover OR DIY???? I think I will go this route.

But a quick question. I have a V6 and the engine cover will flex coming off of the engine. Does the Duplicolor Engine Enamel allow for flex?

gwbates3 12-07-2009 09:23 PM

That red looks nice...
It would possibly look nice with some more color on some other areas like the elec cover or air cover...if they are staying...nice job.

I too have heard of the high adhesive plastic Krylon paint on another C5 thread.

sav1 12-07-2009 10:06 PM

Since that paint , I've wet sanded and added 3 more coats of Clear.. it looks 3 times more shinny. Engine cover will flex, and this Dupli color is supposed to be ok for a little flexing.

garcmol 12-08-2009 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sav1 (Post 1259683)
Since that paint , I've wet sanded and added 3 more coats of Clear.. it looks 3 times more shinny. Engine cover will flex, and this Dupli color is supposed to be ok for a little flexing.

Cool, thanks. I just don't want to paint it, pull it off and have to start over!

chevy 3 12-26-2009 07:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Idid mine also and thuoght iit came out ok.Attachment 82647

tightchevelle69 01-13-2010 09:18 AM

:thumbup:very good write up! i painted mine as well a couple weeks ago because i wanted ABM and, of course, gm doesnt make one with that color. i used actual automotive base coat/clear coat from sherwin williams. it matches beautifully! ill post up some pictures this evening when i get home from work.

one piece of advice i can give on this is if you are using base/clear...BE CAREFUL around the oil cap recess. trying to get clear down in there is a little difficult. i ended up with a nice run on the side of the cover next to that area that i had to sand out!