Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What mods for an 700rwhp L99 Camaro? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=620014)

Dvloo 09-27-2023 05:11 AM

What mods for an 700rwhp L99 Camaro?

Hi guys,

I am new here my name is Damian and I live in the Netherlands so American cars are little around here :)

I would like to know what kind of upgrades i would have to do to get my L99 Camaro SS 2ss to get around 700rwhp and do well in the turns when driving on the track as well.

I also want the car to be able to handle the power so I can push it hard like its dukes of hazard lol. Not that is breaks down every now and then so lets just say it needs to be able to handle about 800hp if you get the picture.

My knowledge about cars is not very great but I would like to learn as much about LS engines as possible, that is why I came to this platform after all so please be as detailed and comprehensive as possible!

So I have a 2009 Camaro SS 2ss with at the moment only upgraded Longtube headers with 3″ highflow cats and X-pipe. I don't know how much power it makes right now but I guess around 350 RWHP or 440 BHP.

So what would you guys recommend to me to upgrade first? I have in mind right now to go for a stage 2 or 3 camshaft with LS3 convertion, that also made me wonder if LS7 or LSX convertion would be possible if it doesn't cost to much lol.

After experiencing a Procharger of a friends Corvette I am leaning towards doing that to in the future sounds and feels amazing. I seen about nitrous shots as well but I know to little about it and its bennefits.

Not sure what I should do for the transmission tho, Gear ratio change for sure but other then that no idea. I am the most afraid of the transmission failing..

Also something to note is that I like to have something most others don't something unique so I want the car to look good to when you open that hood.
(srry for my bad english :)

CamaroCracka 09-27-2023 07:19 AM

If you are worried about cost, don't set 700whp as your goal.

The stock differential and axles might live for a bit if you don't launch it hard on sticky tires. You would also be at the upper limit for the 6L80 trans.

To get to 700whp on the street, forced induction is your only option. A lot of people use Procharger or other centrifugal blowers. Positive displacement blowers, like Magnuson and Whipple, come on much earlier, but would require power train upgrades for sure. Turbos can get you there but they all have issues to be worked out like heat or oiling. I have a turbo myself but most say the PD blower is the simplest set up for the street and you don't have to make 700whp to be very quick. They also have the best under hood appeal IMO.

Whatever you do, plan on 10k USD and that is doing a lot of work yourself.

fz4k98 09-27-2023 07:35 AM

You will need about $15k to achieve the goal and another $15k for broken parts once you start using the power.

Basically you should research and plan on upgrading every driveline part after the crankshaft. I have 610rwhp and was fine until I put sticky tires on the stock drivetrain.

Blue 13 09-27-2023 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fz4k98 (Post 11363325)
You will need about $15k to achieve the goal and another $15k for broken parts once you start using the power.

Basically you should research and plan on upgrading every driveline part after the crankshaft. I have 610rwhp and was fine until I put sticky tires on the stock drivetrain.

You’re not even close unless you’re buying used parts and doing it all yourself.

I’m at 801 rwhp and have about $60k in engine, trans, suspension, rear, etc… mods. My motor alone was $37k and I’m looking at another $35-40k to get me to over 1200 wheel.

There are a couple members on here that have seen my build sheets & invoices.

Leadsled 09-27-2023 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroCracka (Post 11363321)
If you are worried about cost, don't set 700whp as your goal.

Whatever you do, plan on 10k USD and that is doing a lot of work yourself.

This is the most honest answer you will get.

jeff657756 09-27-2023 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue 13 (Post 11363339)
You’re not even close unless you’re buying used parts and doing it all yourself.

I’m at 801 rwhp and have about $60k in engine, trans, suspension, rear, etc… mods. My motor alone was $37k and I’m looking at another $35-40k to get me to over 1200 wheel.

There are a couple members on here that have seen my build sheets & invoices.

lol wut?

Boost of your choosing, fuel system and drivetrain will get OP his goals for 10-15k.

Blue 13 09-27-2023 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff657756 (Post 11363352)
lol wut?

Boost of your choosing, fuel system and drivetrain will get OP his goals for 10-15k.

He also asked for track level handling. The trans isn’t taking that at least for long. Axels. Rear diff. Etc. a decent supercharger system, without doing a cam and all the top end internal components is $7-10k plus E85, injectors, fuel pump, it keeps going. I’m sure you can somehow do it for $15k, but you won’t be doing it for long.

Eddymel1998 09-27-2023 11:45 AM

I remember doing research while back on the auto transmission since that's what I have, to handle higher power you need some sort of cooling for the transmission fluid, I think at minimum a deeper pan maybe a trans oil cooler, then on top of that there are kits for replacing the little clutches inside the transmission itself that need to be upgraded otherwise the stock ones will start slipping and taking other things with them.

RupertPupkin 09-27-2023 01:33 PM

Cam- 2500-3000$
forced induction 5000-7000$
Fuel components - 2000-3000$
Trans TBD (idk much of the 6l80, just that I had in my G8 which had a trq converter).

That's really the meat and potatoes of it all. Then you have to add labor, tuning, miscellaneous cost.

Definitely gets expensive.... I don't say how much I've spent on modding my current and previous cars, but it's up there. Do it all in 1 shot if you can.

1JEWLDSSRS 09-27-2023 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RupertPupkin (Post 11363429)
Cam- 2500-3000$
forced induction 5000-7000$
Fuel components - 2000-3000$
Trans TBD (idk much of the 6l80, just that I had in my G8 which had a trq converter).

That's really the meat and potatoes of it all. Then you have to add labor, tuning, miscellaneous cost.

Definitely gets expensive.... I don't say how much I've spent on modding my current and previous cars, but it's up there. Do it all in 1 shot if you can.

Not to think about all the suspension components and drive train components he will need to keep from breaking drive train parts, AND get the power to the ground so it can all be used, and not blown up in a smoke show. :cool:

CamaroCracka 09-27-2023 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue 13 (Post 11363339)

This is why I don't understand how anyone can have a car approaching 1000hp with all the right supporting mods and not build it themselves. Shops want crazy money these days and if you build it yourself, they don't want to tune your build. I might have 37k all in with a built turbo LS3, level VII M6 w/Mantic triple, ZL1 diff with GForce Outlaws, two stage nitrous w/Nano, E85 conversion, meth, Z28 suspension and factory Recaros. It's still probably not 37k and I've fd some stuff up over the years, hell still doing it. I'm not rich, but I make pretty good money and I could not even imagine spending 80k on an engine without having sponsors.

Aqua Blue RS/SS 09-27-2023 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroCracka (Post 11363444)
This is why I don't understand how anyone can have a car approaching 1000hp with all the right supporting mods and not build it themselves. Shops want crazy money these days and if you build it yourself, they don't want to tune your build. I might have 37k all in with a built turbo LS3, level VII M6 w/Mantic triple, ZL1 diff with GForce Outlaws, two stage nitrous w/Nano, E85 conversion, meth, Z28 suspension and factory Recaros. It's still probably not 37k and I've fd some stuff up over the years, hell still doing it. I'm not rich, but I make pretty good money and I could not even imagine spending 80k on an engine without having sponsors.

For real. I’m that guy that doesn’t let anyone else touch his babies. I’ve done a couple 67-72 Chevy truck frame offs and I’ve done everything on the 3 Camaro’s too. Even if I was rich no way I could justify letting a shop have their hands on it for anything other than tuning.

fz4k98 09-27-2023 03:36 PM

Once i saw the terrible quality from the so called experts i went back to doing it all myself. I've got about 40k miles on my whipple and have broken every part after the crank at least once. I feel much safer and know the car is more reliable with me doing the work.

Eddymel1998 09-27-2023 06:11 PM

One extra byproduct of doing it yourself is that when stuff breaks you know exactly what it is because chances are you held it in your hands before, then on top of that you know you have no one else to blame but yourself which helps narrow down what went wrong. Although I will say it's not all glamour, pretty sure I shaved off at least 10 to 15 years off my life dealing with stuck bolts, cramped spaces, and those stupid plastic locking clips that they shove on every single electrical connector, I am almost certain those are put there for the one single purpose of pissing you off because I've broken a ton in blind rage and it has not come back to haunt me yet.