Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Auotomatic transmission Picture (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13608)

Camarino 02-15-2009 11:01 PM

OH, that patent thing might make sense, i remember reading in an older issue of MOTORTREND in september about an 18 y.o. kid that was developing an on board torqe read out system.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/e...gue/index.html

gm4life05sle 02-15-2009 11:03 PM

I knew it was going to be a automated manual but never knew where the buttons would be, as I would go with a stick anyways. Good info tho, even if I knew some of it already.

Rodrunner 02-16-2009 11:53 AM

It doesn't stand for Mach drive????

:wave:

CamaroSkooter 02-16-2009 12:26 PM

"They've gone....to plaid!"

CamaroSpike23 02-16-2009 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camarino (Post 292447)
OOOh wow, lol just when i thought i knew everything about the new camaro.thnx guys so basically for gears 1-3 you shift up and down on the wheel ?

you havent been on here long enough to know everything about the new camaro :laugh::laugh:

jk.

but basically, as already stated. you pop the stick to the "M" and from there you take control of the gears with the paddles.

Rob490 02-16-2009 04:05 PM

its interesting how its so low key (the padles) unlike other cars

rmyers 02-16-2009 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gm4life05sle (Post 292541)
I knew it was going to be a automated manual but never knew where the buttons would be, as I would go with a stick anyways. Good info tho, even if I knew some of it already.

Whoaaaa...Lets not confuse this with an automated manual. It is not. Do not mistake this transmission with the likes of the BMW SMG unit or the dual-clutch tranny in the new GT-R. Those are true dual-clutch transmissions which are manual gearboxes that have the clutch activation and de-activation computer controlled. The Camaro has a real automatic transmission with a Torque Converter as a clutch. The automated manuals you refer to have actual clutches and pressure plates. There is a HUGE difference.

SGOS252382 02-16-2009 04:16 PM

First great pictures - I can't wait to use my paddle shifters.

Question:
Will the car automatically upshift if the rpms move into redline with the car in M mode? How do the paddle shift work on similar cars (corvette, etc). I've heard that if you don't shift by a certain rpm (say redline), the car will automatically make the upshift. Is that true?

Or will the rpm hit the rev limiter and cause fuel cut off just as they would with the manual?

Camarino 02-16-2009 08:20 PM

yea good question, i'd also like 2 find out if you can go right from "M" to "D" like in a regular auto when you go from "3" to "D"

btw nice vette rmyers

Vash 02-16-2009 08:31 PM

Yea you can go back in D while at speed if that was your question. (Assuming it works like the tap shift on my old 2000 GTS celica).

Camarino 02-16-2009 08:35 PM

yea it was lol thnx, i'm still a little confused though because in a normal manual car if you have to brake on the highway for slower traffic you brake the car and then clutch and start down shifting how would that work with this situation? would you just start downshifting right away or throw it in D maybe? can you downshift at a high speed likethat ? because in a normal manual you know if you're in like 4th or 5th gear and you take your foot off the clutch too quick the RPM is so high that the car gets bogged down. or what about braking hard in an emergency?, i ask only because i'm REALLY new to the whole TAPSHIFT thing im used to either manual OR automatic lol ,

UCF w00t 02-16-2009 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SGOS252382 (Post 293420)
First great pictures - I can't wait to use my paddle shifters.

Question:
Will the car automatically upshift if the rpms move into redline with the car in M mode? How do the paddle shift work on similar cars (corvette, etc). I've heard that if you don't shift by a certain rpm (say redline), the car will automatically make the upshift. Is that true?

Or will the rpm hit the rev limiter and cause fuel cut off just as they would with the manual?

They've said that the only thing that it will stop you from doing is down shifting into a gear that will cause you to be over the red line. If you're already in the gear, you should be able to go all the way up and hit the rev limiter. Also, if you come to a stop it will automatically downshift into first for you.

Camarino 02-16-2009 10:08 PM

yea it was lol thnx, i'm still a little confused though because in a normal manual car if you have to brake on the highway for slower traffic you brake the car and then clutch and start down shifting how would that work with this situation? would you just start downshifting right away or throw it in D maybe? can you downshift at a high speed likethat ? because in a normal manual you know if you're in like 4th or 5th gear and you take your foot off the clutch too quick the RPM is so high that the car gets bogged down. or what about braking hard in an emergency?, i ask only because i'm REALLY new to the whole TAPSHIFT thing im used to either manual OR automatic lol ,

rmyers 02-17-2009 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camarino (Post 293935)

The important thing to remember is this is an automatic transmission. The TAPSHIFT buttons only provide a sportier way to drive and shift. The bottom line is it has a torque converter clutch, so it is just an automatic.

And thanks for the compliment on my car.