Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   GM needs to step up (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3885)

85IROC 04-24-2008 10:39 PM

GM needs to step up

ok i have a 2000 5.3 silverado and a 85 iroc-z 383tpi stroker with 475 hp an a 89RS 305 and 97RS 3.8 and my toys is 68 long wheel base 3/4 ton 4+4 350 and a 69 short wheel base 396 stroker smallblock with 540hp at the crank and my wife has a 05 cavalier we are chevy to the bone. but where iam going with this is gm is way behind in the pony car war. chrystler will have the challenger out before gm can even decide what to do with the head lights. and ford will pobably have a new body style for the mustang before gm gets the camaro on the road. if you look at the camaro it looks like a flipped over rebuilt cadalliac.yes the camaro will have a litte more horse then the challenger or mustang. but i think the body style of the challenger blows the mustang and camaro away. if gm does not step up fast camaro will not last long. the sound clip of the camaro sounds like crap. the sound clip of the challenger sounds bad a@#! LIKE A TRUE MUSCLE CAR i can not stand ford but there car sounds good to. i dont what to buy a camaro that coast $35.000 dollars that i have to put another 10k in it to make it look and sound good. gm plz dont let us down.THE BOWTIE BANDIT

2xtrbo 04-24-2008 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 85IROC (Post 65283)
ok i have a 2000 5.3 silverado and a 85 iroc-z 383tpi stroker with 475 hp an a 89RS 305 and 97RS 3.8 and my toys is 68 long wheel base 3/4 ton 4+4 350 and a 69 short wheel base 396 stroker smallblock with 540hp at the crank and my wife has a 05 cavalier we are chevy to the bone. but where iam going with this is gm is way behind in the pony car war. chrystler will have the challenger out before gm can even decide what to do with the head lights. and ford will pobably have a new body style for the mustang before gm gets the camaro on the road. if you look at the camaro it looks like a flipped over rebuilt cadalliac.yes the camaro will have a litte more horse then the challenger or mustang. but i think the body style of the challenger blows the mustang and camaro away. if gm does not step up fast camaro will not last long. the sound clip of the camaro sounds like crap. the sound clip of the challenger sounds bad a@#! LIKE A TRUE MUSCLE CAR i can not stand ford but there car sounds good to. i dont what to buy a camaro that coast $35.000 dollars that i have to put another 10k in it to make it look and sound good. gm plz dont let us down.THE BOWTIE BANDIT

When is the last time you had your eyes checked? The Challenger never was challenging the Camaro on the street or anywhere else. It is the Cuda that everyone liked. Nobody ever got a Challenger unless they couldn't afford a Cuda. Granted, GM is taking their sweet time with it but that is how they get it right (I hope.)

Sterling 04-24-2008 11:17 PM

The Camaro looks WAY better than the Challenger.
GM knows what they are doing with the headlights, they just aren't telling anyone.
The audio track to that vid sucked, you can't tell what it's really going to sound like in person.
The Camaro is right on schedule to when they said it would be out.
There is nothing to step up.
:paddle:

Mr. Wyndham 04-24-2008 11:21 PM

Here's some points to consider. Some of them, you just need to possibly accept/get over.

Quote:

we are chevy to the bone.

Brilliant!!! That is a good thing, and don't let anyone take it away from you.:thumbsup:

Quote:

but where iam going with this is gm is way behind in the pony car war. chrystler will have the challenger out before gm can even decide what to do with the head lights.

Okay, point #1. They decided what to do with the headlights a long time ago. They are just not needed on a test-mule, beta car. The temperary inserts work just fine while the real head, and tail lamps are being tested in a lab somewhere. So...yeah - they've decided.:thumbsup:

Second point: The Challenger is a pig of a car that was based of an already existing platform, and has a sub-par interior. Is it any wonder it came out sooner than a Camaro that's being built from the ground up, in every aspect imaginable? No parts-bin interior. Brand new sheetmetal, brand new chassis, BRAND NEW ASSEMBLY PLANT...and yet it's all going to be done it 2.5 years. That's incredibly impressive if you ask anybody in the auto business.

Quote:

and ford will pobably have a new body style for the mustang before gm gets the camaro on the road.

I can't take that away from you. Ford may refresh the Mustang before Camaro is out....:iono: I don't think it'll make much difference in the long haul, anyways. People are still talking about the Camaro's design since 2006, and it's not even out yet. The car STILL draws the largest crowds at autoshows everywhere, and when this is finally out - people are going to go ape-sh!t!

Quote:

if you look at the camaro it looks like a flipped over rebuilt cadalliac.yes the camaro will have a litte more horse then the challenger or mustang. but i think the body style of the challenger blows the mustang and camaro away. if gm does not step up fast camaro will not last long. the sound clip of the camaro sounds like crap. the sound clip of the challenger sounds bad a@#! LIKE A TRUE MUSCLE CAR i can not stand ford but there car sounds good to.

These are all based on personal opinion of a pre-production car. The styling is all but final. If you don't like it...the best I can tell you is "I'm sorry to hear that." There are very few people who seem to vehemently dislike the body work as you do...unfortunately such people can't be tailored to. Sorry!

The sound clip was courtesy of a crappy camera from far away videotaping a preproduction (not finished) car...enough said, I think?

Quote:

i dont what to buy a camaro that coast $35.000 dollars that i have to put another 10k in it to make it look and sound good. gm plz dont let us down.THE BOWTIE BANDIT

I'm not sure who told you those numbers...but take a Mustang and it's price. Add an IRS, a massively better interior, ~1.5 times the power, and add $1-$1000 to the pricetag. There's your Camaro. Not sure where 35 grand came from.

Please hang in there before making judgements of the car before it's out on showrooms. The beta car you're seeing all over the internet isn't a fair representation of what the final car will be. Take a ride in it when it comes out, and then form your opinions. GM is designing this car to "Blow the doors off the competition, and then rape their tailpipes" (;) Thanks, Scott). They won't let us down, you can bet on it. :thumbsup:

85IROC 04-24-2008 11:43 PM

first off the camaro was based off the cadalliac that you did not mention. I do love the camaro but i'm disappointed in gm i've seen the challenger on the web and it just appeals to me more than the camaro.Also i've heard the Camaro is going to base priced competetive to the Mustang but the ss is going to be selling for 35k. I still think they are behind the game and yes when they do finally make it to the showroom floor they will be bad a** I'm just voicing my opinion and i am a big gm fan but i just feel they need to hurry up i know the saying you can't rush perfection I just wanted to see someone elses opinion on it Thanks

Camaro_Corvette 04-24-2008 11:47 PM

soapbox: i wish people would stop making such a big fuss about the videos Sound, THE CAR IS NOT FINISHED YET...dont make your final decision just because the exhaust doesn't sound good in some crappy spy video...hell, we don't even know what trim level that car was. you don't take a car to nurburgrin to test the exhaust sound or the engine power, we can do that here. we take it ther to test the cars overall abilities on a track. End Soapbox:

personally the car is great... its a whole new car, new chassis, new everything...any car company can make subtle changes to an existing platform and come out with a seemingly average car...but GM didn't, GM has stepped up to the plate and they could have possibly hit a home run with this NEW CAR...

the thing is now most of our info is speculative, we don't really know what they are going to give us but i am doing one thing. no matter how crappy the video or sound file, or how many people say they don't like it, i am going to keep the Faith....and wait for the final car before i make a decision...:thumbsup:

chadrcr 04-25-2008 12:40 AM

well, I have been reading posts here for a few days, there seems to be a lot of passion for the car, and a lot of passion against several things: delays, 4-cylinders, v-6s, prices- low and high, it is exciting, funny and sometimes infuriating reading some of 'our' opinions on here.

The main thing: the Camaro is almost back. It will have some engines that 'we' do not all personally wish to own, but I am sure that there will be at least ONE engine that each of us would love to have. I hope that there are many options, as in 1969: 6cyl, 302, 327, 350, 396, and the copo 427.

Would it be nice to have similar options: the 3.6, a 5.3(ls4) as the ECONOMY choices and of course the LS2-just kiddin, L-76, LS3 AND a COPO LS7/8/9/A... I will be glad to see the Challengers on the road soon, something to dilute the Mustangs, which I do not hate... I just really want a Camaro, and of course it can not come soon enuff. But, just think how close it is...compared to 2002. How can we not be OPTOMISTIC, and grateful that GM is working on bring us our car. Hopefully they will price it NEAR the Mustang, many people would love to have the choice between the Camaro and Mustang--evenly priced.
Sorry for the long post, but hey I have read much more than I have written...

SSideways 04-25-2008 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaro_corvette (Post 65308)
soapbox: i wish people would stop making such a big fuss about the videos Sound, THE CAR IS NOT FINISHED YET...dont make your final decision just because the exhaust doesn't sound good in some crappy spy video...hell, we don't even know what trim level that car was. you don't take a car to nurburgrin to test the exhaust sound or the engine power, we can do that here. we take it ther to test the cars overall abilities on a track. End Soapbox:

:word:

TAG UR IT 04-25-2008 02:04 AM

Quote:

first off the camaro was based off the cadalliac
:iono: :iono: :iono:

Maybe designed by a team FROM Cadillac....but based off of???:bonk:

Read, read, read. Every issue you have can be easily answered. The only thing you will have left over is your overall opinion of the car.......which hasn't even been shown yet.

Dude...you like the Challenger that much? Good. It isn't half bad....wait....it is. The INTERIOR. You want parts bin, cookie cutter...go for the Challenger. Shoot, they just took the interior out of a Charger for it...sad.

This is an all new Camaro. No parts bin here. All new. And release is under a year away.;)

chadrcr 04-25-2008 02:30 AM

I also really like the Challenger, I think it is a great tribute to the 70-74 and I would definitely be getting one, except for one thing..........
2009 (10) THE Camaro returns!

camaro5 04-25-2008 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TAG UR IT (Post 65353)
:iono: :iono: :iono:

Dude...you like the Challenger that much? Good. It isn't half bad....wait....it is. The INTERIOR. You want parts bin, cookie cutter...go for the Challenger. Shoot, they just took the interior out of a Charger for it...sad.

I Love the Challenger when I see it and hear it. But we spend most of our time inside the car. Many automakers forgot that, but most including GM have been reminded. Quite frankly, from what I've seen and read the Camaro interior is a mindblower. Tasteful, yet unlike any other. American style inside and out.

Now the Challenger is a reskinned Charger, and they they didn't even "reskin" the interior. Maybe I'll get one after my Camaro when they redo that interior in 3-5 years.

:rolling5thgen:

theholycow 04-25-2008 06:04 AM

Quote:

camaro it looks like a flipped over rebuilt cadalliac

LOL, a FORC. What the forc...forckin jerks! Forc them! :sm0:

I haven't seen the Challenger, but I have to admit, as a diehard Mopar hater, that Chrysler has been getting some things right. The Charger looks decent, they've got that company-wide lifetime powertrain warranty thing going on, and the Jeep Patriot can't be beat for cheap, efficient, practical, low-insurance, low total cost basic transportation.

Anyway, if you really want to be heard, try saying it in a different way. The way you said it is going to be entirely ignored by GM even if you said it straight to their faces. Instead of anger and terrible grammar, try carefully crafting nice words about what you want and why you think it would make them more money.

radz28 04-25-2008 09:33 AM

Quote:

IMHO, you're entitled to your own opinion but your post count suggests that either you haven't been on here long or that you haven't been participating that long. Either way, your statements aren't entirely on base. Several points have already been pointed out that address some of the problems you see in the car.

This car is nothing like a Mustang or Challenger. This is a completely new chassis, not one bastardized off a Lincoln LS or Magnum/Charger/300 chassis. The interior is a hodgepodge of parts bin stuff (to my understanding and reading) and the powertrain in the SRT-version isn't too impressive. It looks to make good power and make the car run good times however it sucks gas like a small block from like ten years ago. I think GM's engines are more advanced than the other two American companies and right up there with foreign competitors.

As far as how long it's taking, that's fine by me. It sounds like they are just trying to give us a car that delivers more than we could expect. It may cost more than the direct competition but I think if it can be offered with unique content and higher quality, I'm totally down to pay a little more.

Camaro_crazy 04-25-2008 11:40 AM

Someone walked into the wrong saloon. haha. This post had that weird awkwardness like daddy just hit mommy at the dinner table at first.

Quote:

ok i have a 2000 5.3 silverado and a 85 iroc-z 383tpi stroker with 475 hp an a 89RS 305 and.......

Just by the grammar and spelling mistakes, I could see where this was going. lol jk.

But after I read this, I was really hoping no one else had posted yet, because I wanted to be the one to disprove EVERYTHING he said. But it seems everyone else got the job done just fine.;)