Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Garage / Tools Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   Hemp's Shop Build (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=368781)

thahemp 07-15-2014 03:30 PM

Hemp's Shop Build

1 Attachment(s)
Last fall we bought 67 acres outside of town with the intention of digging a big pond and building a shop. We also wanted a place that we could hunt and shoot whenever we felt like. So we have drawn up some rough plans and we started haggling with the county a few months ago to get permits for the pond and the structure. What a PITA! They finally showed up today, almost 2 months after we dropped the pipe in the ditch, to dig in our culvert. I can finally get the camaro onto the property! Pretty exciting stuff.

Here's a shot of the freshly installed culvert with paved road access.

Attachment 646165

We still have to do a watershed survey according to the county. The pond is going to be somewhere between 3.5 - 5 acres depending on where we are able to cut it in. I'm leaning towards the 5 acre version of the pond. I'd hate to pay to have it dug and dammed, then wish later we had dug it bigger.

The building is going to be part living space, part electronics shop, part longarm quilting shop (for the females), part woodworking shop, and mostly car bays and car storage. I'll finally have a place I can install a lift. We have only ever leased space before and they wouldn't let us drill anchors into the concrete. We are sort of at the point now where we're trying to go over all the plans and make sure we aren't missing something that would be nice to have while we're at it. Suggestions welcome and appreciated.

The shop is going to be on about a 10,000 sq. ft. pad. I'm really hoping we get it all done by this time next year.

meshamey 07-15-2014 03:52 PM

:pop2:

mlee 07-16-2014 12:09 PM

WoW... you're building every guys dream there.

Can't wait to follow the progress..:popcorn:

thahemp 07-16-2014 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlee (Post 7822177)
WoW... you're building every guys dream there.

Can't wait to follow the progress..:popcorn:

Thanks Mike. We have waited a long time to get some land and build a man resort. It actually feels weird getting started.

First item on the list is a tractor. We have a lot of land to clear. This piece looks like no one has even walked it in 50 years. We're looking at something in the 75 - 100 HP PTO range so we can run a big flush-cut tree saw attachment. There are TONS of cedars and medium sized trees in the brush. I'm not sure a brush hog is gonna cut it.

DwRed1LTV6 07-16-2014 02:26 PM

:popcorn: lol. . . . . sounds like a great project !!

SimpleGreen 07-16-2014 10:04 PM

My entire property might be just 10,000 sq feet.

That's ridiculous.

Can't wait to see it finished!

thahemp 07-25-2014 12:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I finally got a chance to go out and squeeze off a few rounds. It sure is nice to be able to shoot outdoors and not have to endure all that indoor range buzzing. I think this location is about where we're going to do our construction. It is probably 1/3 of a mile into the property. You can't even see the tops of the trees that line the main road from here. The brush is THICK everywhere else. This is the natural watershed section of the property, which is where we'll cut the pond in.

I heard a bunch of quail while I was out there too. Hopefully we can get some coveys scared up this winter! TONS of deer beds.

Attachment 648721

Tenring 07-25-2014 08:15 PM

Looks like it will be awesome, congrats.

I had something like that started one time, it was really exciting until I woke up.

thagSS 08-09-2014 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenring (Post 7844989)
Looks like it will be awesome, congrats.

I had something like that started one time, it was really exciting until I woke up.

+1

Nzcamaro 08-09-2014 05:17 PM

Great site. I am hoping to do a garage man cave next year, lov this forum for ideas.

thahemp 06-09-2015 10:25 AM

Well, it has been almost a year since I started this thread and we have made some progress. Turns out the builders around here weren't too excited about taking on our project. We ended up having to hire an engineering company to take care of all the permits and excavation plans. They finished surveying and paper pushing about a month ago and put together a build package for us to give to the builders for quote.

The pond was a major hangup. Anything over an acre requires watershed surveys and special permits from the county. Apparently the building size was a problem as well. Anything over 12,000ft. requires special construction according to the builders. I think they were just lazy or busy, or both.

So the plans are done, permits secured. We should start moving dirt next month.

8balldeluxe 06-11-2015 12:38 PM

We go thru the same process here, your not alone.

mlee 06-11-2015 01:24 PM

Good to hear the paperwork is squared away...

Superfly1 06-12-2015 11:00 PM

I meant to ask how this was coming when I saw ya the other day, but with the chaos of work I forgot. Glad to see it is moving along.